Halo Reach > BOBs

Enyclopedia BOBtannica

<< < (2/6) > >>

Pulse Cloud:

--- Quote from: Scatcycle on October 30, 2011, 16:28:40 ---Pulse, I don't think that this method will work on BOBs. It appears that the chance to get the 0.1% is not actually random at all. You cannot exploit something that is truly random. The programmed list of random numbers is NOT random. It does not fit the criteria. Using the butterfly effect, or a pattern, to get a certain random number, and having it work every time, is not random.

I would think that Microsoft would realize this and make an actual random number code.

--- End quote ---
The thing is, we can only have simulated randomness to a certain degree - there's no such thing as true, absolute randomness in electronics.
You can argue that you can track the movement or the position of the cursor and then do some calculations and get random numbers - but it is flawed because if I move the mouse in a way and then move it again in the same way, the supposedly random numbers won't be as random as expected: they might even be the same (depends on the algorithm, obviously).

Because of this, you can't actually program the BOB spawning to be random in its true meaning. It can appear to be random and it can be excruciatingly hard to replicate an event, but it is never actually random.

Finally, the point of my post was not about BOB spawning or Zodiac Spear spawning being random or not - because they aren't: they have a fixed, programmed probability associated to them (I am assuming BOB spawning does because that makes sense and Lord Friendship claimed he noticed this probability) -, it was about taking advantage of the limitations of real-world computation to increase the actual probability of a BOB being spawned regardless of what is written in the source code of the game.

It's very much like Bump Glitching, actually.

Scatcycle:
You're right, I underestimated the true value of random.

Lord Friendship:
The problem is that it would be very hard to determine the random values being used by Reach.  In an RPG you could use damage, or combos, etc.  In an FPS the random values are mostly obscured.  As an FYI, Bungie Mission Designer (well, former mission designer, that role no longer exists at Bungie) explained on the HBO Forums that Reach uses "script random" values, so it's not true random, but rather based on the engine script.  I'd provide a link, but their forums appear to be down at the moment.

Lord Friendship:
This is interesting... a French site has put together a list of BOBs in their forum.

http://www.halocreation.org/t5303-ee-liste-des-bobs-de-halo-reach-elite-ranger-or-dore

There are two things that jump out at me:

1. They show multiple spawn points for the New Alexandria Banshee BOB, something I haven't seen anywhere else.

2. They seem to believe that TotS has an undiscovered BOB.

However, they also overlook the multiple spawn points on Winter Contingency, and treat the multiple Spire BOBs as one BOB.  To each his own.

Found this via HBO, btw.

Scatcycle:
Halo Creation is an old friend of ours. A French memer, Tepec, used to be our connection with them, but he has disappeared.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version