Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: 7

SGP: Report - Binary Data

(1/4) > >>

ColdGlider:
Omeganuepsilon wrote to inform me of some binary data he found in one of the images he described as having a "J" below it.  I'm assuming this is the Jotun (sp?) company logo.  Many of the New Mombasa buildings seem to be occupied by businesses with logos and/or names.  I think Jotun is the company that makes the Oliphants (the J logo is on them in District 06).  I'm pulling this all from memory, so it needs to be checked.

Anyhow... I think Omega and I probably expelled exasperated sighs at the same time because this is the sort of thing that could spin us way off course with no results.  Nevertheless it is my duty to report it.  The binary data in the company sign as transcribed by Omega is:

--- Quote ---1011010110111101010111111010
--- End quote ---

So I took a look at it thusly:
28 bits to a line x 4 lines of bits = 112 bits.
With 112 bits you derive 14 equal groupings of 8 bits (the standard byte)...  and you end up with 14 numbers that could encode virtually any kind of data.  

You could also derive 16 equal groupings of 7 bits and be left with values small enough to represent ASCII codes.  And we know all about 7.
Converting this block (from left to right, top to bottom) into 7-bit Decimal values yields:

--- Quote ---090 111 043 122
095 027 055 053
041 060 025 086
003 074 050 107
--- End quote ---

Mapping the values above to an ASCII table provides the following results (text in brackets is a decription of a non-printable ASCII code):

--- Quote ---Zo+z
_[End of Transmission Block]75
)<[Negative Acknowledgement]V
[End of Text]J2k
--- End quote ---

Doesn't look like it was meant to be decoded that way to me, even if you really tried to force something out of it like this (think transmission log):

--- Quote ---Zo+z_
[End of Transmission Block]

75)<
[Negative Acknowledgement]

V
[End of Text]

J2k

--- End quote ---

Still looks like garbage, really.

I thought maybe grouping it into 28 4-bit values might provide an interesting order of District numbers, but no matter whether you organize the data into columns or rows- backwards or forwards-you will always get a value greater than 10 at some point.

We could verify the transcriptions of the bits to see if there are 1s or 0s out of place, but at least for now I'm striking out.

So forget I mentioned it!  Unless you know of some old 8-bit Apple proprietary character encoding scheme loved by Bungie that translates this data into the 14 character string "Recon Unlocked"... I think we can put this to rest.

That was a joke.

Kenji:
In binary, 8 bits = a letter try converting it to alphabet...
I don't have the stuff to do it though...
I know of an easter egg in one of the other halo games that is in binary. It spelled someones name if I can recall...

ColdGlider:
That's what I did up there.  :P  (ASCII = letters)

Kenji:
ah, I'm not the smartest when it comes to binary...

Omeganuepsilon:
I ran the first code I found through this:

http://home2.paulschou.net/tools/xlate/

And came up with squat.
There was a mid thread link to someone else's outside article that had pics of 3 different codes:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thebruce0/3946438709/

Others noted that they thought it was braile at first also.(braile is 3 high(not 4, as in the pic) and 2 wide per character, that made me feel less insane just for looking..

I do have a theory, that some of the hidden things may point to hex code of the game itself.  After the anger they demonstrated at the whole Halo 3 final skull, I wouldn't put it past them to put in a derogitory comment somewhere in the code of the game geared toward those people, or something along those lines.

Anyway, it's just the start of a theory.  It seems to lead no where, but someone who know's more about code may have some insight.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version