Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: The Librarians

Nomolos=Solomon, The Ark, & Allusion in the Halo Universe

<< < (3/3)

The Arkaeologist:
Thanks, Imppa, though I suspect you guys may be taking it easy on me....perhaps because of my pink bow tie?   :P

--- Quote from: Imppa on May 16, 2010, 16:53:40 ---Perhaps the other companies have same kind of relations?
--- End quote ---
Yes, the companies seem to break down along two lines - those that represent, or at least take their names from, states or regions (Nomolos, Sinoviet, African Trust, and Misriah (more on Misriah in a moment)) and those with generic corporate-y/product-related names (Hinos, Optican, Tecnniqe, Traxus, Vyrant and probably Asklon, e, and Huciv).  Jotun, from the Norse mythology for giant, is an appropriate name for a company that produces large agricultural machines, but there doesn't appear to be a Norway connection beyond this since Contact Harvest lists the headquarters of Jotun as Mars.  Misriah too is located on Mars and seems to take its name directly from the planet - the letters in Mars + the letters 'i,' 'i,' and 'h' shaken up a little.  (I had a theory about this being a reference to the two Hirams in I Kings, but I decided I was taking things a bit too far.)  Of course, this is all cursory.  Some of those generic-sounding names could very well be significant.

EnigmaBiz:
I am kinda surprised CG hasn't got up on this!

Pulse Cloud:

--- Quote from: The Arkaeologist on May 14, 2010, 18:06:26 ---
--- Quote from: Dunder Moose on May 13, 2010, 19:19:41 ---Solomon was the son of King David.

--- End quote ---
Yes, and David and Solomon were of the tribe of Judah, which was represented by the lion (and from which Christ is said to have descended).  According to I Kings 10:19-20, 12 lions adorned the throne of Solomon (12 tribes of Israel = 12 lions).  Now we know lions can be seen on the walls of the city of New Mombasa.  I didn't mention earlier because lions also feature in the Kenyan coat of arms (and have occasionally been spotted in Africa :P) and this would therefore be the more obvious/less metaphorical explanation.  Still, I'm mighty tempted to run around counting lions.

And yes, on a humorous note, the Bungies predicted my fervor (OR, is it a CLUE?! :o):
Medic: "And the Covenant?"
Crazed Marine: "They're the lions...RAAAR!"
Medic: "Careful. I think you just strained a metaphor."
Crazed Marine: "Oh, oh god! Is that...serious?"
Medic: "Only if you keep it up."

--- End quote ---

*head asplodes*
I guess The Ark has found us and not the other way around, then. (first one understanding gets a DELICIOUS CAEK!)
The Arkaeologist, this is EPIC. We should DEFINITELY invest some time in this.

Imppa:

--- Quote from: Pulse Cloud on May 17, 2010, 15:35:25 ---*head asplodes*
I guess The Ark has found us and not the other way around, then. (first one understanding gets a DELICIOUS CAEK!)
The Arkaeologist, this is EPIC. We should DEFINITELY invest some time in this.

--- End quote ---
I knew these Ark jokes would start soon. :D
Oh and btw, TEH CAEK IS A LIE!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version