Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: The Librarians

Nomolos=Solomon, The Ark, & Allusion in the Halo Universe

<< < (2/3) > >>

The Arkaeologist:

--- Quote from: Dunder Moose on May 13, 2010, 19:19:41 ---Solomon was the son of King David.

--- End quote ---
Yes, and David and Solomon were of the tribe of Judah, which was represented by the lion (and from which Christ is said to have descended).  According to I Kings 10:19-20, 12 lions adorned the throne of Solomon (12 tribes of Israel = 12 lions).  Now we know lions can be seen on the walls of the city of New Mombasa.  I didn't mention earlier because lions also feature in the Kenyan coat of arms (and have occasionally been spotted in Africa :P) and this would therefore be the more obvious/less metaphorical explanation.  Still, I'm mighty tempted to run around counting lions.

And yes, on a humorous note, the Bungies predicted my fervor (OR, is it a CLUE?! :o):
Medic: "And the Covenant?"
Crazed Marine: "They're the lions...RAAAR!"
Medic: "Careful. I think you just strained a metaphor."
Crazed Marine: "Oh, oh god! Is that...serious?"
Medic: "Only if you keep it up."

EnigmaBiz:
Let me lay this heavy sh*t on you!!

I don't know why this didn't hit me before but all this bible talk and making CG a new pick got me thinking....The Crucifiction Jesus and the other two men, The names are not found in Scripture. However, tradition gives the names of the two as Dismas (the "good thief") and Gestas, the one who rebuked Jesus.

The attachment is a reenactment but I think it maybe explains the tri-glyph or maybe its meaning. Really glad your here Ark, its very refreshing.

EnigmaBiz:
My crude drawing of the above..

The Arkaeologist:
I must say, Enigma: that is strangely compelling.

Staten's father is a theologian and I think we (or those of us who are interested) should definitely keep this in mind as we're playing the games, reading the novels, etc.  You can see the influence and I would like to think it's holistic: not because I hope Bungie is promoting a certain religious viewpoint, so much as because I think it would be super-cool if the story worked as a big multimedia allegory rather than as a hodge-podge of literary, historical, and religious allusion.  I want to believe an underlying and cohesive vision has been present throughout.  Don't let me down, Bungie!

I do want us to be careful  :police: - especially since I started this thread - to be sure to provide proof wherever possible and to really try to think things through before tossing out hypotheses or listing every little possible connection.  We don't want to become the crazy conspiracy branch of the scientific gaming people :P and we always have to recognize that religion, like politics, can be a touchy subject and that an artist's vision, and certainly his intention, is ultimately his own.  That said, I think there may be something to this theory, and even if it doesn't hold, it wouldn't be bad for us to have a catalog of the various references.

A good starting place is seeing what's already out there.  (I was surprised to see the Ark of the Covenant thing is apparently common knowledge.  I swear I did not steal it.  And yeah, you can see some people get a wee bit wacky with their conclusion-jumping.  This is truly the Halopedia at its worst, barely a reference in sight.)  For the truly ambitious, a reading of the relevant chapters of 1 Kings (starting here, I guess) will provide a background on Solomon's temple, which contained the Ark and could correlate in some way (maybe?!) to New Mombasa/Voi.  There's also a whole lot of numbers magic there.  And we know those Bungies love their numbers.

And let me just say, I love the mix of talents we have here, artistic, technical, etc.  It's just really cool.  We're our very own Bungie lite.

Imppa:
Wow, you're really sharp, Ark. Perhaps the other companies have same kind of relations?

--- Quote from: The Arkaeologist on May 14, 2010, 20:31:37 --- We don't want to become the crazy conspiracy branch of the scientific gaming people :P

--- End quote ---
What, we don't?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version