Halo Reach > Halo Reach General Discussion

GRD/ BOB helmet discussion

<< < (5/6) > >>

Scatcycle:
I doubt the only new armor piece is the BOB helmet. There are probably more. It's either a recon, or it comes with a whole pack of other armors. But it's 343's. The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).

Imppa:

--- Quote from: Scatcycle on July 16, 2011, 14:24:44 ---The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).

--- End quote ---
I don't think there's any proof to that either, but yeah, it might be.

Scatcycle:

--- Quote from: Imppa on July 17, 2011, 08:57:41 ---
--- Quote from: Scatcycle on July 16, 2011, 14:24:44 ---The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
The proof is that Bungie does not know what the Helmet is. Unless someone from 343 somehow snuck the helmet in, which is basically not possible, it's not on the disc.
Adding armor to the disc is basically tons of work without a virtue, I doubt 343 would do all that. What's easier, is to just make it on the disc in the first place. Which is what I think happened with Anniversary.

nightcrafter27:

--- Quote from: Scatcycle on July 17, 2011, 15:50:14 ---
--- Quote from: Imppa on July 17, 2011, 08:57:41 ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
The proof is that Bungie does not know what the Helmet is. Unless someone from 343 somehow snuck the helmet in, which is basically not possible, it's not on the disc.
Adding armor to the disc is basically tons of work without a virtue, I doubt 343 would do all that. What's easier, is to just make it on the disc in the first place. Which is what I think happened with Anniversary.

--- End quote ---
Or 343 is a bunch of trolls.

Either way, I agree with Imppa; we need to get working again. I wish I could help in game, but without an Xbox, I will only be able to bounce ideas off you guys :(

ColdGlider:
Anyone remember this old b.net topic, started by "The Game1415", from 2011.04.20?

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=59238815&postRepeater1-p=1

The post has 180+ pages of responses these days.

Among my favorite claims from this post are:

--- Quote ---Me and my crew HRS know every spawn, on every level, on every difficulty for BOB
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---This helmet is on the disk hidden away along with the chest piece we have seen in so many pictures.
--- End quote ---

I'm not trying to start a nasty flame war here.  In fact, I messaged the author back in April and warned about the tone of the post which I thought was horribly misleading.  The response I received on 4/20 (also in attached screenshot) was:

--- Quote ---Could I see a video of the seven spawns? Or could you list them, because we have never managed to find more than three unique spawns for him on the specified level.

I was reading through the comments, and I did state my theories as facts just to try and motivate people into looking again, as a reassurance type of thing. The BOB topic has been discussed so much that if I place any types of doubt into peoples minds they might not want to look.
--- End quote ---

I understand Game1415's intent to motivate research.  And after 180 pages of responses, I'd say the motivational effort was a success... even on b.net.  On the other side of the coin, the popularity of the post has led people to take for granted many things which have never been substantiated. 

For one, it is pure conjecture that the helmet is meant to represent a BOB despite the screenshot from Marathon.  The linking of the helmet designed by 343/Certain Affinity to the in-game BOBs designed and implemented by Bungie is a monumental leap of logic, even IF you take for granted that the Marathon image proves a BOB connection.  Personally, I bristle at every mention of a "BOB Helmet" and am thankful that this has fallen out of favor in lieu of "GRD Helmet".  Oh, by the way: sighting of "GRD Helmet" in Bungie stafff's armory?  VOIDO.

Before Game1415's post in April and before the Defiant Map Pack was released, the Halo Waypoint forums were all buzzing with theories about the helmet's data pre-existing on the Halo:Reach game disc. 

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/3087.aspx?PageIndex=2

--- Quote from: Pwnage x360a on Feb 25, 2011 7:38 PM ---Im guessing that the armour is already locked inside the reach game disc contents So files downloaded from a seperte title update may unlock it ?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: EpicGamerMonkey on Feb 25, 2011 8:09 PM ---It's probably been pre-programmed into the disk by Bungie and now it'll unlock if you get a certain Defiant map pack achievement. (Similar to the Waypoint armor unlocks?)
--- End quote ---

The founder of the rebooted "New Reach Secrets" (NRS) group on B.net (KtanDantaktee) quickly latched on to the same idea, responding to BS Angel's quote that "There is no new armor coming with the Defiant Map Pack":

--- Quote from: KtanDantaktee7 on Feb 25, 2011 9:51 PM ---You said no new armor COMING with Defiant, so that doesn't mean that new Armor will become unlocked at some point. The new Armor is probably Disc Locked Content, and it may become unlocked when Defiant comes out, or at a later point.
--- End quote ---

mrhalo007 and company over at NRS seemed to come to the consensus back in August that they felt the helmet might appear as a TU, but that the data wasn't on the disc.  This was half a year after BSAngel clearly stated that armor wasn't coming with Defiant... and almost nine months later has anyone seen the helmet in their armory?

I'm proud to say that one of our own, CIA391, was the first to respond to BSAngel and one of the only people to simply take what she said at face value:

--- Quote from: CIA391 on Feb 25, 2011 6:27 PM ---Thanks Angel.
Now there's proof from someone that's played the maps that there's no new armor.
--- End quote ---

Sure, I've had my share of wild and desperate "theories" for unlocking all sorts of things in ODST and Reach.  But I'd like to think that I- and all SGP members- strive to delineate between what is fact and what is simply conjecture... or wishful thinking.

It certainly seems odd that an unexplained, seemingly unobtainable helmet would take center stage in the promotional run-up to the release of the Defiant Map Pack.  Perhaps one day we'll hear some insider reminiscing about the stir that was created when a concept artist's helmet design made it out to the public as marketing material even after the development team was forced to cut the corresponding DLC armor update due to technical limitations.  But that's just my crazy off-the-cuff explanation, and I won't state it as fact on b.net or anyplace else!

Likewise, you can't quote me as saying that the "GRD Helmet" is a total myth and will "never" appear as a future unlockable in Reach.  I simply don't know.  What I can tell you is that if I were inclined to search for a 343i secret, I'd be searching in 343i content.  But that's just how I'd go about it.  In the meantime, I have actual Bungie BOBs to go document. 

Thanks for reading, and please drop CIA some positive karma, will ya?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version