Author Topic: Vidmaster Challenge  (Read 1635 times)

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Vidmaster Challenge
« on: October 02, 2010, 15:32:11 »
Imppa recently linked to a post where the user linked to this site, and I think we should make it a project to complete this challenge.

So you read the rules. Last level? Kill that bob about 30 minutes in? No way! So heres a plan. Try to resurrect the 2 marines. These were placed in the map in the exact same way the elites were. Already dead on the ground in a fixed position. If you resurrect them, they may be extremely good at fighting and may help you get to the bob. Kill the bob, then what? After that, keep trying to prevail. After all that work you don't want to die and then saying: "ITS THE SAME THING! I SHOULD HAVE KEPT FIGHTING!!!!!". At this point the marines may die (my theory). I think the most suited armor ability for Lone Wolf no shooting would be the drop shield.

Anyone up for, and here I use Pulse Clouds quote, Smashing your face with a pencil???

Now about the rules. "Sudden Death. The ultimate price for failure. Adds a new dimension to the phrase poenas dare." Does this mean we have to have iron on, or does it mean if we die we have to stop the campaign and try again?

"Total Carnage Difficulty Level.
Is it necessary to mention this? Well you'll find some films out there claiming to be on Total Carnage but there not. Don't be fooled by Spazeroids." Mythic or Legendary?

"Punch All Switches.
A new rule introduced with Marathon 2. You can be forgiven in Marathon for not doing this but not in Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity." Seems like we are going to need to find all the switches first... We need a guide of switches if we intend to do this. Hell, we need a guide on how to do this if we are going to try!

Wipe them out. Who's with me?
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Vidmaster Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 18:12:55 »
I am pretty sure it goes like this:
-Total Carnage = Legendary Difficulty
-Kill ALL Bobs = What the text says!
-Punch all switches = Activate all switches

What we should first do is to find All the switches and Bobs. THEN, playing.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 18:15:28 »

Yes, thats why I proposed setting up a guide for switches. First we need to find them :P!
Do you think the switches have to be things you actually press, (tribute room), or does it include the Reach Racer kind of switch?
I feel it

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:40:16 »

Doesn't Marathon have 5 difficulties, not 4?  That would imply that Mythic = Total Carnage.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 16:01:29 »

Doesn't Marathon have 5 difficulties, not 4?  That would imply that Mythic = Total Carnage.
Seeing that only 42 people have cleared Halo 3 on Mythic (scroll down please), I don't think Bungie would create something that hard to Reach.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 00:10:48 »

Seeing that only 42 people have cleared Halo 3 on Mythic (scroll down please), I don't think Bungie would create something that hard to Reach.
That is exactly what I would do. It's your last game. The ending must be amazing. I would make it extremely hard. Something that the community would work together on.
I feel it

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 05:09:26 »
My theory on this is to focus first on just the BOBs.

The switches seem to be goofy easter eggs for the most part (tribute room, dance club, race track).

Can we find 2 BOBs on each level?  Let's try for that, then try killing them all on regular old legendary.  Literally... 'wipe them out'.

The basis of my theory is that the pieces of the vidmaster challenge are just guidelines in the spirit of Bungie traditions to find easter eggs.  So, the switches part is a clue that in general there are secret switches to push.  The terminal part is a clue that there are secret things to read.

And the bobs: there are secret bobs.  By the way, BOB in Marathon stood for "Born On Board" and refered to the colonists aboard the UESC Marathon.  Basically, these were any and all humans in the game - in Halo the closest comparison would be the bridge crew in the first level of Halo: CE.  Or Marines in general.

So, the point is that in Marathon the BOBs were far from secret, but in Reach, they are these secret golden ranger elites.  Just like how the switches and terminals in Marathon were regular old switches and terminals.  In Reach they are special and secret (easter eggs, data pads).

It's obvious Bungie wants us to kill the BOBs (wipe them out... 'all of them', and why else would they be called BOBs if you look at the vidmaster challenge as a guideline for secrets - what I'm trying to say is that in Marathon a BOB is just a BOB, but to a vidmaster, a BOB is something that MUST BE KILLED, ALL OF THEM)

Is there a BOB thread somewhere?  I say again, 2 per level, let's do it!

Phantasm 08

• SGP Moderator
  • Scatcodes are the Gruntz Pajamaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 23:02:37 »
My prediction is that there are se7en switches for us to find.   What have we found so far?

I know of (1)the tribute room and (2)(3) T4B (I don't know if that'd count as two or one; probably two).  Can anyone fill me in on any other finds?
01010000 01101111 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101000 01101111 01100011 00101100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100101 01110010 01100111 01101111 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 01110000 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101000 01101111 01100011 00101110