Author Topic: J Banner 7  (Read 35268 times)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: J Banner 7
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2020, 12:59:39 »
I think the Oliphant angle is bunk, as these doors are everywhere and anywhere, including balconies on Kikowani and inside Squidhenge.

I mean, yeah, why would exactly autonomous vehicles need to read barcodes anyway in the year 2552? : D Or any tech for that matter? In many ways the angle doesn't make sense, but then again it might not need to make sense to create an atmosphere of "these people have barcode on their walls 'cause they're so automated and sci-fi".

I believe it is just a technique to use the same assets on multiple doors and not have them all (appear to) say the same thing. For example, if the sign read "Cafeteria" instead, you'd think "Hmm. Why are there hundreds of cafeterias in Mombasa streets?". Instead, you see a complex barcode, and you assume them to be different, providing the illusion of many different labels throughout the city. Now, we of course just see 3 J banners, but the average player is going to see them as unique to the door they are over, which provides great immersion.

Now, could a dev use this opportunity to shove an egg in there? Sure, but at this point I doubt that's the case.

Oh, that's a great point!! When you make a texture that seems complex enough, even if they're mundane and used a lot people might not notice. Also, it again is creating atmosphere in the sense that something could be written there that has a function, and that something is going on in the city, instead of just using "blank_concrete_slab_19" -texture and making a bustling city's walls look empty. Nice.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: J Banner 7
« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2020, 17:20:42 »
I don't think I ever posted my thanks to Nightcrafter for bringing the J-Banner to our attention two years ago as it appears in Destiny 2- thank you, Nightcrafter!  I'm so happy to see my old friends still working together with new members here at the SGP! 

Well done keeping things going... I told you this place wasn't going anywhere.   Looking at the news on our website, it appears that Destiny 1 is coming soon.  [facepalm]  I suppose those are examples of two interpretations of "not going anywhere"... but clearly it's all going somewhere if you are still here!

I had a reaction similar to Imppa's when I passed under the J Banner near the Drifter in Destiny 2... an unresolved puzzle from the past, rearing its bedotted face.   Since Umbral Engrams were added in Season 11, a lot more in-game traffic is passing under that sign.   Image attached.

Ark told me to tell you all that she sends her love.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::