Author Topic: Upgading "From Niven to 9/11" to something greater...  (Read 1718 times)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Upgading "From Niven to 9/11" to something greater...
« on: October 17, 2010, 16:29:55 »
I am NOT saying that the article is not good.
It's awesome.
It's actually so awesome, that it made me think (which is pretty much, I guess :P). More accurately, I think it was the name that made me think:

From Niven to 9/11 : History and Halos Collide

Now that I think more, the name isn't the best one, perhaps: it's a bit misleading. The article is about 9/11 and it's/history's collision effects to the Halo Trilogy, true. Mentioning Larry Niven, The writer of the science fiction book "Ringworld", makes it misleading: "From Niven to 9/11" Means that there is something more than what is mentioned, something between those collisions to history. But since there isn't anything like that, it is misleading.

"But what if that weren't the case?" I think.

"What if there actually were more? What if that headline would file other articles under itself, that would all tell the different collisions of Halo and The History?

What if it listed all the Halo -connections to the Real World?"

At this point, I get this feeling. This weird feeling, this Thing, that has been sleeping for almost a year now, from the times after the first "Activity Wave" of SGP (or "Golden Age", if you want).
This feels like something that I was thinking when I signed up. Something great. Something AWESOME.

"From Niven To 9/11: History and Halos Collide" would get a new meaning here. We, the SGP, would create a list of articles that define the major links from Halo to The Real World. That, my friends, would be something I would be truly pleased to work for.
While these theories and articles mostly already excist in The Internet, it would be us to tie them all together. While some of them could be simply linked, such as the Ascendant Justice post about Halo's Connections To Aliens, we could not just simply link Danves' post in Bnet about the connections to Dantes Inferno, and should be rewritten in HTML to our site.

Here's a list of the articles I think we should include:

• Ringworlds and Halos
(Yet to be written, I suppose)
  • Aliens and Halo
  • Bungie and Halo (Connections to earlier games, such as ONI and Marathon?
  • Dante's Inferno and Halo
  • 9/11 and Halo

(I originally though there were more, but now that I actually think, I don't remember anymore...)
If any of you happen to remember any other major connections, please respond!

In Danves' case, I would propose that we give him a chance to write the article himself, if he is interested. The same should be proposed to the writer of the Aliens -article, Valor. If they would decline, we would ask to use their content (if not the whole article, then parts of it [modified, if needes]). In any case, they would get credit.

So,
What do the minds of this Commitee think about this? ;)
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgading "From Niven to 9/11" to something greater...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 17:44:23 »
From this silence, I suppose I could draw a conclusion that people think it is NOT awesome, or at least a bit too big bite for us. :/

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 17:59:49 »
I only now saw this. My sugar level is 2 low 2 understand what this is about...

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 18:12:31 »
I only now saw this. My sugar level is 2 low 2 understand what this is about...
By a whole friggin' bag and eat it, then read it again. >_>

Kevoun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 19:52:42 »
That article about Alien was an interesting read.  Reminds me of some of the links I've seen between Alien and Starcraft, as well as Starcraft and Halo.  The comparison between Zerg, the Aliens, and the Flood is pretty striking, as well as the Protoss, Predators, and Humans/Terrans.

The research project seems pretty interesting, I've always enjoyed seeing how games influence our popular culture and vice versa, it really shows how much of an art form video games can be.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 19:54:14 by Kevoun »

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 04:53:42 »
I'm excited, Imppa- just sparse on time!

I actually think Ark might have subconsciously copped the title of an adjunct article I have been kicking around ideas for since she first brainstormed the 9/11 connection.  More on that later, but yeah- the title may be a little misleading since Niven isn't specifically mentioned.  I can't speak for Ark, but I think she was trying to indicate a bit of a "paradigm shift" or evolution from Halo being a Ringworld-inspired fiction to one inspired by real-life events.  "Niven" also sounds like a contraction of "NIne eleVEN", so it gave the title a nice ring.

What I do know is that she has been wanting to do some revisions, and is waiting for me to be available to facilitate that.  So stay tuned.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 13:41:21 »
Yeah, the title may not be the best.  I suppose CG is correct in that I was indicating something of a shift, though I probably don't know enough about Niven's writing (more or less taking CG's word here about the influence) to mention him and I don't really think the use of one reference completely negates the other.  I thought you wanted me to use that title, CG!

As for Imppa's suggestion, there are SO MANY literary/artistic and historical allusions and I would love to catalog them.  These connections are actually the source of about 99% of my interest in the Halo universe - and also about 99% of my frustration with the Halo universe, i.e., does this all actually hang together?!!  :laugh:  Sometimes I start to feel like I'm looking for a needle in a field of needles if that makes sense.  It's just hard to say definitively what influences artists, especially in sci-fi, which is so meta-meta it makes me gag sometimes.  (Did I say that out loud? @:)

But yes, I'm game though maybe we should start by compiling our evidence in the librarians board.  Then we could progress to articles once we see which references are extensive enough to merit them.  Perhaps?  I'm a little overwhelmed right now and this seems more manageable.  But I will bow to Imppa's vision/lightning flash of insight.  :-*  Take it away, Sir Imp!

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 17:40:57 »
Yeah, the title may not be the best.  I suppose CG is correct in that I was indicating something of a shift, though I probably don't know enough about Niven's writing (more or less taking CG's word here about the influence) to mention him and I don't really think the use of one reference completely negates the other.  I thought you wanted me to use that title, CG!
I liked the title, it made enough sense...I just said what I said 'cause I was so high from that feeling, and wanted to sound cool. :P

As for Imppa's suggestion, there are SO MANY literary/artistic and historical allusions and I would love to catalog them.  These connections are actually the source of about 99% of my interest in the Halo universe - and also about 99% of my frustration with the Halo universe, i.e., does this all actually hang together?!!  :laugh:  Sometimes I start to feel like I'm looking for a needle in a field of needles if that makes sense.  It's just hard to say definitively what influences artists, especially in sci-fi, which is so meta-meta it makes me gag sometimes.  (Did I say that out loud? @:)
Naturally. Well, I myself can't really think much more connections to anything (@:), but there sure are many, I bet. That is why we should try to focus on the most obvious ones. We COULD make a single thread about sci-fi connections, and try to find as much of them as possible...

But yes, I'm game though maybe we should start by compiling our evidence in the librarians board.  Then we could progress to articles once we see which references are extensive enough to merit them.  Perhaps?  I'm a little overwhelmed right now and this seems more manageable.  But I will bow to Imppa's vision/lightning flash of insight.  :-*  Take it away, Sir Imp!
I don't think we have a librarians board au general, but I think that, at least now, we should. *looks at CG* <_<
And yes, that is a good idea. :)

I will work on this, but right now I am still trying to assemble that Shotcode thread...when it is done, this'll be all I do, I think. GO SGP! ;)