Author Topic: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!  (Read 16650 times)

gothi

• View Profile
    • gothi - a Badly Chosen Byte
Re: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2009, 19:39:22 »
I don't know If anyone has found this yet, but I was walking through sector 5 when I noticed that all the doors in the area near the place where the rookie first starts were opened. Curious, I wandered inside, and found that every door that had something behind it was open (open as in gone, like the secret door, not just openable). This leads me to believe even more strongly that the secret door is no more than a loading error. Doors to rooms that Bungie simply did not use. I have not yet found the trigger that led to these doors failing to load, but I had just traveled from sector 6 through sector 8.

The more I see these kinds of things (missing doors, missing Optican booths) the more skeptical I become.

Video in fileshare
If you look around the rest of the area, you can see a couple of other doors that have also failed to load.

Thanks for sharing JSM26.  For me this is conclusive proof that the ODST modified H3 engine has issues with rendering objects and what we're seeing with the disappearing door(s) is nothing more than a glitch.  I wish it was something more but the evidence is stacking up against it.

gothi

• View Profile
    • gothi - a Badly Chosen Byte
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 20:03:34 »
I've just gone back to my video of me showing a friend the disappearing door and checked out Sector 8 before and after the door disappears and this is nothing more than a repeatable glitch.

In comparison to the fully loaded sector when the door is missing the following applies:

3 areas used as the SI supply drops are open (not just the 1 originally discovered)
The grunts and turrets are not loaded in one of the circular areas
Adverts for cars are missing from the walls
Various items are not loaded such as the Opticon health dispensers and stand alone terminals (such as the one near the shotgun)

So it's a case of good work on finding a glitch, now can we do this on other sectors to access even more areas that should be blocked off?

Edit
I just watched a whole bunch of scenery appear then disappear which caused the enemies there to completely freeze, some even in mid-air.  I urge you all to go back to your in-game videos and look around the area as evidence of the engine glitching.  What is useful though is that all the glyphs appear bold and bright when you move the camera away from your characters 1st person view.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 20:15:17 by gothi »

MajorDeal

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 20:12:10 »
If we were to conclude that these various items are glitches, what about the glyphs themselves? They are known to disappear and reappear which seems like a glitch, but what about when they just change slightly (i.e. super tri-glyph)? I guess we need more research on the text mapping issues.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 21:36:00 »
Major's comment is one that I have been keeping in my back pocket for a while... and the reason I wrote that initial article.

When considering both Glitches and Glyphs (nice potential article title, that) I feel it is crucial to consider the Super Y Glyphs in particular (Super Tri, Super Di, Super Mono). 

The Super Mono (in at least two different orientations) appears in the Legendary ending cinematic.  There are no loading glitches affecting that cinematic.  It's a Y-glyph with one SI symbol in it.  So far, that same glyph has appeared in only a few (key?) areas of the game... and as we all know the Super Tri and Super Di have only appeared on the Magic Wall in D04.

If we chalk disappearing doors, barriers, dumpsters, and even glyphs up to a glitchy engine weighed down by a design kluge and one year development timeline, we are still left with a mystery that appears to have been intentionally crafted.

Hoho5000 explained (in this post):
By no means am I an expert, but what you are describing sounds like different permutations of scenery spawning.

If scenery spawning (or a possible Halo 3/ODST equivalent) was implemented on the Magic Wall with a pool of Super Y-Glyphs, we'd intentionally see a different glyph selection on that wall whenever the spawning trigger was activated.  Assuming again that disappearances are entirely due to a glitch, we are still left with the question: why did the designers want to show us these exclusive in-game glyphs on this wall, in this plaza, in this district?
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2009, 05:44:24 »
AND why are there glyphs everywhere in the place, when the glyphs with the design are usually only around story proggresion levels? There isn't anything there that progresses the story or any comms (from what I remember)
...this coffee sucks.

AlkalineProdigy

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2009, 23:33:04 »
wierd