Author Topic: WIP: Covenant Ranks Guide  (Read 9239 times)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WIP: Covenant Ranks Guide
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 09:55:18 »
That seems like a VERY good structure Pulse, good job!

Some minor notes though: if we want to keep it scientific and such, I think we should take out the "dangerousness" and "shield" rating stuff, since it based on possibly biased opinions, and not rock-solid data. Also, we could have a description about the way the enemies move and behave (not on every class, since it doesn't seem to depend much on it). We should also think whether we want to put all the enemies+ranks on the same page, or first give a page that links to the races, and then from there you would be linked to the classes...Maybe the best would be to have all the races on one  page, and the ranks on their own pages?
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 12:05:22 »
That seems like a VERY good structure Pulse, good job!

Some minor notes though: if we want to keep it scientific and such, I think we should take out the "dangerousness" and "shield" rating stuff, since it based on possibly biased opinions, and not rock-solid data. Also, we could have a description about the way the enemies move and behave (not on every class, since it doesn't seem to depend much on it). We should also think whether we want to put all the enemies+ranks on the same page, or first give a page that links to the races, and then from there you would be linked to the classes...Maybe the best would be to have all the races on one  page, and the ranks on their own pages?
I thought about that, but no one can deny an Elite Ultra is waay more dangerous than an Elite Major. Those guys can Yoink! you up if you're not careful. But no: I don't like Dangerousness either.
Shield strength is a bit more data-based, because we will have the number of shots to take it down. But I would still take it out: Shield strength would only be on Elites, and it scales with rank (except for the SpecOps and Ranger), so it's pretty much something everyone knows right away.

I just wanted something to take vertical space next to the image, you know?

What I thought about is having a Table of Contents like the one below. Everything would be a link, ie, there would be a section to talk generally about Brutes (maybe add a little fiction) and then the various ranks.
It would ALL be on the same page, because no one wants to go to load the first page, go to "Elites", which has a list of the various ranks, click on "Ultra", wait for the Elite Ultra page to load and then have to go back to check another Elite or a Skirmisher.

I don't really care, though, I just want this done.
I already have in-game images of ALL the different enemies (except the Drone Minor, which I've never seen), so that's pretty much taken care of.
I need you guys to write that text, though! You can't say "boy, I wish we had more content to show 343 and the public how good we are  at what we do" and then, when the opportunity arises, bail out!

Table of Contents:
  Brutes
    Chieftain
    Captain Major
    Minor
  Drones
    Ultra ????
    Major
    Minor ????
  Elites
    BOB
    Field Marshall
    Zealot
    General
    Ultra
    SpecOps
    Ranger
    Major
    Minor
  Grunts
    Ultra
    SpecOps
    Heavy
    Major
    Minor
  Hunters
  Jackals
    Sniper
    Major
    Minor
  Skirmishers
    Champion
    Murmillo
    Commando
    Major
    Minor
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 13:25:56 by Pulse Cloud »
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 16:52:25 »
I feel like the Shield Rating system could go like this:
0=grunt
10=Field Marshall

7=Ultra?
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 16:57:52 »
I feel like the Shield Rating system could go like this:
0=grunt
10=Field Marshall

7=Ultra?
I wouldn't use Shield Strength, but if I had to, I'd only use it in Elites, because the others don't have shields.
And then you would HAVE to give Elite Minors Shield strength 1 (scale from 1 to 10) but that would look like it's one AR shot and they're down...
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 17:07:18 »
I didn't mean to post that... somehow it got posted.
I agree, we should keep most numbers out of it.

Shots on Shields numbers are fine. It's very nice, actually. I don't think I've ever seen a guide that has that.
But instead of saying something like: "Ultra is ranked 7th out of covenenats" We can say "The Ultra is ranked higher than a Major but lower then a Spec Ops."

And Pulse: For us to get working, where do you have your pictures stashed?
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 17:35:07 »
Instead of using CSS to create the Shield Strength table, I made it in Photoshop:

I've uploaded my Covenant Images folder. I am still missing the Elite Field Marshall, Elite Zealot and Drone Minor images (someone?).
Here it is: link

@Scat: We will never say "Ultras are ranked 7th", because there are many more fictional ranks than those in the games. The order they appear in the Table of Contents is the relative ranking order, and it's pretty obvious, so we don't have to spell it all out.
Also, I'm taking care of the presentation (HTML + CSS). It's pretty much done - I just need you guys to gather some content. Someone could test the Classes of the Grunts and Brutes, someone else could test the classes of the Skirmishers, someone else could write that text I asked for the Drones, etc etc etc.
Team work.

HOW TO TEST ENEMY CLASSES:
1- Check your Commendations and write down the value correspondent to "Leadership Element", "SpecOps" and "Cannon Fodder".
2- Start a Campaign mission and kill ONE ENEMY.
3- Repeat step 1 and check the differences (this way you can see if a rank is glitched and always contributes to two commendations).
4- Repeat step 2 but kill another enemy.
5- Repeat, repeat, repeat.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 17:42:56 by Pulse Cloud »
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 18:23:59 »
Elite BOB

An Elite BOB on Nightfall (need better pic)

Type: Elite (Sangheili)
Class: Leader (contributes to the Leadership Element Commendation) [needs testing]

Weapons wielded: Concussion Rifle, Plasma Launcher, Fuel Rod Gun, Dual Plasma Rifles
Shield strength: Sufficient enough to survive two Sniper Rifle shots to the head.

Aside from the Elite Zealots and the Elite Field Marshall, which only appear in very specific parts of the Campaign, the Elite Bobs are the most vicious enemies one can encounter both in the Campaign and in Firefight.
On Heroic or Legendary difficulties (or on any difficulty with the Mythic skull turned on), Bobs can survive the explosion of a Plasma Grenade stuck to their heads or a direct hit from a Rocket Launcher or two direct hits from a Fuel Rod Gun.

Dealing with Bobs:
The most efficient way to kill an Elite Bob is to fire non-charged bolts from a Plasma Pistol until the Elite's shields are down and then to finish it with a headshot-capable weapon.
Using any weapon other than a Plasma Pistol to take down the shields is, as you can conclude from the Shield Strength Report above, a waste of ammo, especially if one intended to use a Sniper Rifle or any other headshot-capable weapon. A Bob will disappear if you do not take it down within a certain amount of time, so kill it as fast as you can. Your time is limited.

<10-seconds video on how to kill an Elite Bob>

Hunter

A Hunter on Unearthed

Type: Hunter (Lekgolo)
Rank: Hunters have a rank in previous games. We'll have to use older Pictures.
Class: Heavy (?)
Weapons wielded: Flak Cannon (?)
Shield strength: Extremely tough. Bullets bounce off it.

Hunters are heavy infantry usually deployed in pairs. Their Flak Cannon strapped to their body is extremely powerful. A Hunter can survive numerous amounts of rockets to the body on any difficulty above easy.
Hunters have gaps in their armor which reveal the true controller of this walking death machine; Lekgolo. Lekgolo are intellegient worms that control the body of the Hunter. Lekgolo also control Scarabs. (I do not know the name of the "war" scarabs that you fight in Halo 3. We need this name because they don't control all scarabs. Excavating scarabs are controlled by Elites.)

Dealing with Hunters:
The most efficient way to kill a Hunter is to shoot rapid fire weapons into the orange of it's back or neck. Alternatively, one can use a sniper rifle on the back. This is usually only possible if the Hunter is distracted by something else. Using a weapon other than a rocket launcher on a Hunter's shield is a waste of ammo. It does almost no damage.

<10-seconds video on how to kill a Hunter>

Jackal Minor

A Jackal Minor on Unearthed

Type: Jackal (Kig-Yar)
Class: Infantry
Weapons wielded: Needler, Plasma Pistol (there is one jackal in the game that wields a Plasma pistol. Is it a Minor or a Major?)
Shield strength: Tough. Can be eliminated by a sniper shot.

Jackals are infantry usually deployed in groups. Their holdable shield protects it from many dangers. There are niches in both sides of the shield. One for the Jackal to hold the shield, and one for the Jackal to shoot out of.

Dealing with Jackals:
The most efficient way to kill a Hunter is to shoot a precision weapons into one of the niches in it's shield, resulting in the Jackal stumbling. While it's stumbling, shoot it in the head. Alternatively, one can use a charged plasma pistol shot to eliminate the Jackals shield, making it vulnerable.

<10-seconds video on how to kill a Jackal>
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 18:41:19 by Scatcycle »
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 18:42:11 »
Scat, there's no "Heavy" class - there's just Infantry, SpecOps and Leader (check the Commendations).
The Hunters use Assault Cannons, and we must say players can't use them.

Due to the large height of the article about each single rank, I think the Guide should be presented like this:

Page 1:
    TOC:
        Brutes
        Drones
        Elites
        etc.

Brutes
        Brutes are dumb and weak blablablabla
        Brute Ranks:
            Chieftain
            Captain Major
            Minor

Drones
        Drones are not a pain anymore!
        Drone Ranks:
              etc.

Page 2:
    Elite Ultra
        blablabla

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 18:50:55 by Pulse Cloud »
I am tree.

Nader

• ¿ɯsɐ ʎɯ ʞuıן ʎןpuıʞ noʎ pןnoʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 19:12:50 »
Remember in ODST they had gold hunters? Should we list them here?

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 19:15:29 »
Remember in ODST they had gold hunters? Should we list them here?
We should, I pointed that out. The picture will look a bit strange in comparison to the Reach pictures, but it's fine.

We also need pictures for the Huragok.
I feel it

HomerSPC

• NAKED GRANDMA
    • View Profile
    • Channel
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 19:37:44 »
Make a separate area for every game. CE, 2, 3, ODST, Reach. This way the pictures maintain the same graphic style.

Also, that template looks REALLY nice as well as Pulse's strength report. Nice and neat. Looks amazing!

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 19:50:38 »
Guys, this guide is just for Halo: Reach.
Reach is priority.

AFTER fully completing the Reach guide we'll focus on another guide (BOBs? Datapads?).
After we have more content I'll get back to this and make the Halo ODST part. Then Halo 3, 2 and CE.

But let's just think of Reach for now, k?
I am tree.

HomerSPC

• NAKED GRANDMA
    • View Profile
    • Channel
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 20:51:30 »
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I just noticed this. The gun on a Hunter's arm is a Fuel Rod Cannon.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 21:28:14 »
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

I just noticed this. The gun on a Hunter's arm is a Fuel Rod Cannon.
I think the Flak Cannon is a Fuel Rod Cannon, but I still don't think that's correct. It's was correct in CE, not Halo 2, Not Halo 3, not Halo 3 ODST, and I don't think Reach. Pulse claims it's an Assault Cannon, so I'll go with that till I hear otherwise.
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 21:54:47 »
I have finished the layout of the guide and the website itself: link
It was done in compliance with ColdGlider's rules created because of his Dynamic PHP Generator Schema - he just needs to update some tags and, hopefully, it's set and done.

Open the file "CovenantRanksGuide.html", look around and then click on the Elite Ultra link (it's the only one that works).

Now I need content.
And feedback.
I am tree.