Author Topic: The Good Samaritan  (Read 7055 times)

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
The Good Samaritan
« on: January 22, 2011, 15:20:43 »
     In the parable of the Good Samaritan, Jesus tells the story of a Jew who is attacked by thieves on a road. He is stripped and beaten, and left half dead on the side of the road. A short while later, a priest comes down the road, and passes the man by. Soon a Levite passes the man by too. Now a Samaritan comes by, and is deeply moved by the sight of this man, lying half dead on the side of the road. He binds the mans wounds, pouring oil and wine on them (for cleaning and disinfection). He puts the man on his own animal, and brings him to an inn. The Samaritan pays the innkeeper two denarii, each the equivalent of a days labor, and tells him to take care of the injured man, and the Samaritan will pay whatever expenses. 
     This parable would come as a bit of a shock to the audience listening to Jesus tell it, because Samaritans and Jews didn't get along. Now, you may be wondering how this relates to ODST (or maybe not). Obviously, there is the Good Samaritan achievement, to complete the campaign without killing any Engineers. This seems to hint at a possible relation between the parable and ODST. But where, you ask? Where else but Squidhenge!
        I believe that the Elites represent the Jew who was beaten and robbed. Don't forget that the Elites are only half dead, readily zombifying at the player's whim.  You, the player, would logically be the Samaritan. The Engineers represent the priest and Levite, constantly passing the Elites by. The Samaritan's animal would be your mongoose.
     According to the parable, the Samaritan brings the man to an inn to heal. In the context of ODST, that means we need to punch some bodies. I have no idea what would be an inn in-game. It could just be getting the body to and optican station. This is where I need your help. Discuss. 
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Re: The Good Samaritan
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 15:52:28 »
Very interesting Night... I can see a whole bunch of connections.

Maybe we need to punch them to the Tri-Glyph? Night, we gotta try this!

Will elaborate post later but have to go to soccer.
I feel it

Vandal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 16:05:12 »
i have a lot of time on my hands right now so when i can get on the Xbox i can try pushing a body to a Optican Station
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

When Russian troops got into Berlin in WWII whenever the street they were going down was barricaded, it took them 2 hours and 15 minutes to get through, 2 hours laughing hysterically and 15 minutes tearing the barricade down.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 20:06:09 »
I still do not approve ZombiElites to be more than a glitch, even though it's mechanism cannot be understood.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 20:48:13 »
I still do not approve ZombiElites to be more than a glitch, even though it's mechanism cannot be understood.
Shun the non-believer!

Anyways, why would Bungie keep the alive model in the game? It takes up valuable space, as we learned from the BR. And getting blown up by grenades lifts them? What error in the code would do that? Keep in mind that it is only for elites that it does this.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 14:38:32 by Scatcycle »
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 21:16:04 »
Shun the non-believer!

Anyways, why would Bungie keep the alive model in the game? It takes up valuable space, as we learned from the BR. And getting blown up by grenades lifts them? What error in the code would do that? Keep in mind that it is only for elites that it does this.

That is good thinking Hornet.
That's obliviously OG, though...And they probably HAVE to have an alive model for it. Because they just have to. :P

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 21:30:02 »
Shun the non-believer!

That is good thinking Hornet.
That's obliviously OG, though...And they probably HAVE to have an alive model for it. Because they just have to. :P
This isn't Extra Terrestrial, Imppa. I think they can change the game to do what they want xD

I can rest assure you that I have mistakenly forgot a character model for some of my games. It's definitely possible.

"So... what are you supposed to do in this game? Why do I hear footsteps? WHY ARE PEOPLE SHOOTING THIN AIR"
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2011, 03:20:04 »
Inb4 derailed thread.

I'm not saying bungie purposely programmed in ZEs, just that it fits.

Phantasm 08

• SGP Moderator
  • Scatcodes are the Gruntz Pajamaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2011, 05:48:03 »
Bungie HAS made their games parallel stories of the Bible, but have they ever done it to this extent? 

Regardless, it's worth trying.  I'll be on tomorrow, so if anyone needs me I'll be glad to help.
01010000 01101111 01110011 01110100 00100000 01101000 01101111 01100011 00101100 00100000 01101110 01101111 01101110 00100000 01100101 01110010 01100111 01101111 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 01110000 01110100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01101000 01101111 01100011 00101110

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 15:31:57 »
Keep this in mind:
Zombielites only work on the level CM:MS. They do not work on CM:TP. Now this shows that it is not a glitch. I'm sure if it were a glitch it would be in a universal code. What special code would they have for the elites on different levels?

There's something more to it.
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 18:29:12 »
OP

My mind is blown. Seriously: this is the greatest post in the last few months.
I am tree.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 19:36:01 »
OP

:D Thanks, Pulse!

Another option might be that the Engineers are the Inn Keepers. This makes sense, since the give out shields. What if we get the dead Elites to the Sunken Courtyard across the street?

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 17:20:22 »
OP

I admit, it did draw some sweet connections, like Ark did in her article.
However, claiming that the ZombiElites have some other meaning than an interesting glitch is too far-fetched, I think. If they'd want it to matter, why didn't they make them stand longer? Or why didn't they make them become your allies, or attack you?
Besides, the achievemnt is to save the ENGINEERS. Your pretty nice just when you don't go killing them, right? And how come could the Engys be the priest and levite, when they've seemingly drawn all those cool glyphs just for the sake of the fallen Elites?

And btw, you CAN resurrect elites on CM:TP. Pics on their way.

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 18:25:08 »
There was a video some where (may even be a link somewhere here) of a Hunter coming back to life after a player tea-bagged it. It was during Fire Fight. It could have been a glitch or lag, it was for sure not a MOD. It would be interesting if the Zleets could be brought to life....

Unfortunately ODST was rushed and even during some of our SGP  walk through we explored huge areas uninhabited.

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 22:48:15 »
OP

I admit, it did draw some sweet connections, like Ark did in her article.
However, claiming that the ZombiElites have some other meaning than an interesting glitch is too far-fetched, I think. If they'd want it to matter, why didn't they make them stand longer? Or why didn't they make them become your allies, or attack you?
Besides, the achievemnt is to save the ENGINEERS. Your pretty nice just when you don't go killing them, right? And how come could the Engys be the priest and levite, when they've seemingly drawn all those cool glyphs just for the sake of the fallen Elites?

And btw, you CAN resurrect elites on CM:TP. Pics on their way.

True.. but there IS a secret in ODST (remember these first seconds) and I need something to think about. :p
I am tree.