Author Topic: Tempest Map & Shakespeare's The Tempest  (Read 10173 times)

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
Tempest Map & Shakespeare's The Tempest
« on: April 27, 2011, 18:23:36 »
So I noticed this a while ago and never published it.

I think the Tempest multiplayer map may allude to Shakespeare's The Tempest.

Points of interest:

The map is part of Bungie's final Halo DLC - Microsoft hired Certain Affinity to do the Defiant pack - and is frequently mentioned last of the three Noble maps (as in the Noble trailer).  The Tempest is commonly regarded as Shakespeare's final solo play.

The Tempest is believed to have been written in 1610 or 1611.  The Noble map pack was released in November of 2010, exactly four hundred years later.  Not that this means anything but it's cool....

The Tempest takes place on an island, where Prospero and his daughter Miranda (yes, Miranda) have been shipwrecked.  The Tempest map landmass is nearly, if not completely, surrounded by water.  It is also the site of a downed Longsword.

Prospero instructs his servant-spirit Ariel to create the storm, or tempest, of the play's title in order to shipwreck Prospero's usurping brother Antonio on the island.  According to the Halopedia, "[t]he Forerunner structures on the map are weather control systems."  I need to confirm this independently.

Possible points of investigation:

The above-mentioned weather control systems.

The radio chatter on the radio by the Longsword.

The Longsword's various number/letter combos:  
UNSC 7-89
AF 9l 002
37TFW

The words beneath the Longsword emblem/insignia.  (I'm assuming the winged sword is particular to the Longsword.)  I'm thinking AD (Air Defense?) Combat Command, which seems irrelevant to the tempest connection, but...

There also appears to be an animal print on the longsword. ???

My sad file share footage of the above is here.

Also, does the story of The Tempest relate in other ways that might help in deciphering larger Reach mysteries?  I imagine it's just a cool map name for the final map, but are there further clues in the parallels?  Prospero is a godlike figure, so intelligent he can work "magic."  His daughter is Miranda.  He is served by a spirit, Ariel, who is humanlike in personality and is often the true, if unseen, catalyst of events.  We know from the datapads the AI's are controlling/influencing events and may have drawn the Covenant to Reach intentionally similar to the way that Ariel manipulates the weather to bring Prospero's enemies to the island.  We also know that Cortana manipulates events by plotting the course that will take the Pillar of Autumn/UNSC - and the Covenant as well - to the first Halo ring. (Fall of Reach, p. 336)

Bizarro update upon further research:

Shakespeare is widely believed to have gotten the idea for The Tempest from the real-life shipwreck of the Sea Venture, the flagship of the Virginia Company, which encountered a storm on July 24, 1609, on its way from Plymouth to Jamestown.  This date leapt out at me because gameplay in Reach begins on July 24, 2552.  Quoting the wikipedia article (italics mine):

The Admiral of the Company, Sir George Somers himself, was at the helm through the storm. When he spied land on the morning of July 25, the water in the hold had risen to nine feet, and crew and passengers had been driven past the point of exhaustion. Somers deliberately drove the ship onto the reefs of what proved to be Bermuda in order to prevent its foundering. This allowed all 150 people aboard, and one dog, to be landed safely ashore.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:32:51 by The Arkaeologist »

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Re: Tempest Map & Shakespeare's The Tempest
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 18:30:37 »
It's a clue! I personally can confirm the paw print. Good job, yet again, Ark!
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Nader

• ¿ɯsɐ ʎɯ ʞuıן ʎןpuıʞ noʎ pןnoʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 18:38:12 »
Yes, bungie has always left little clues relating to famous lines, poems, books, etc... Like this, from the cortana letters.
This is the way the world ends.
This is the way the world ends.
This is the way the world ends,
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 18:38:56 »
Wow, you're really good in these things Ark (and only some of the points/ideas are far fetched)! Good work! :)
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 17:07:46 »
Ark, once again your penetrating insight has left me amazed.  I had seen the "paw print easter egg" YouTube video (someone linked it in these forums somewhere, I believe) but I had no idea what to make of it.  I think the Sea Venture Hypothesis is the best thing the community has going for an explanation, and obviously fits perfectly with your overall Tempest Hypothesis.

(Apparently, I like to use the word "hypothesis".)

Anyhow: well done!

The SGP Arkives should be updated to include your analysis as part of our knowledge about not only this multiplayer level, but also our knowedge about what literary influences are likely players in the develeopment of the Halo mythos.  For me, this falls into the same category as Dante's Inferno from ODST.

+KFY!!!
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 07:00:15 »
Random thought that may require investigation, in regard to the "It's a clue!" paw print on the long sword. Bungie has pretty much pointed out that a crashed longsword (or shortsword?) is a clue. Where else is does one of these appear? Maybe Bungie is pouting to the one that crashed into the stature at the end of CM:UR

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 12:13:27 »
Random thought that may require investigation, in regard to the "It's a clue!" paw print on the long sword. Bungie has pretty much pointed out that a crashed longsword (or shortsword?) is a clue. Where else is does one of these appear? Maybe Bungie is pouting to the one that crashed into the stature at the end of CM:UR

Isn't the one in CM:UR just a Drone plane, or something? And anyway, to me the longsword is just a part of the link between the map "Tempest" and the play and/or "Sea Venture" - why fo you think it's part of something bigger that the map's own little storyline? :S

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 14:05:32 »
I completely forgot about the Sea Venture having a dog. Moral of the story? Go to sleep sooner.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 20:04:30 »
I'm reading The Tempest for school now, so I may be dropping back by here to dump crazy connections and ideas as I read. It would be interesting to see if the numbers on the longsword can somehow indicate lines in the play.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 00:11:20 »
Triple post ftw. In act five, scene one, line 183 has "O brave new world", which Bungie used as a title for their post-Halo Vidoc

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:51:40 »
Triple post ftw. In act five, scene one, line 183 has "O brave new world", which Bungie used as a title for their post-Halo Vidoc

A guick search that there's also a book called Brave New World, but seeing as the Wikipedia article says that the name is derived from Shakespeare, and because Shakespeare is so much cooler, we can say that Tempest is the one they are referring to.

Good job man! Seems like reading pays off :)