Author Topic: GRD/ BOB helmet discussion  (Read 9281 times)

Insane Monx

• View Profile
Re: GRD/ BOB helmet discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 20:10:35 »
What if I said I saw the fish bowl helmet or the earth helmet during the pod cast?
Then I would look to see if anyone said differently. I haven't seen anyone disagree with the people who saw the GRD helmet in the Webcam. If a considerable amount disagree about what was seen, then there is a chance that the GRD helmet was never seen in the Webcam.
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 21:57:08 »
What if I said I saw the fish bowl helmet or the earth helmet during the pod cast?
Then I would look to see if anyone said differently. I haven't seen anyone disagree with the people who saw the GRD helmet in the Webcam. If a considerable amount disagree about what was seen, then there is a chance that the GRD helmet was never seen in the Webcam.
Still, a lack of solid proof means there is a possibility of scam.
Also, Evil Otto - a Bungie Employee - seems to have sent people asking about the helmet this message:

Today I came in to work to find there were nearly a hundred messages, mostly about the BOB or GRB helmet rumor. I am not going to type 100 messages today, so I am going to type once and paste it in all the questions. Here is my definitive answer:

Certain Affinity, under the direction of 343 industries, created the Defiant map pack. When Microsoft released screenshots of the Defiant pack, people noticed a previously un-seen helmet on one of the Spartans.

We at Bungie do not know what 343 has in store with this helmet, and the internet is full of theories. Like you, we will just have to wait and see what, if any, plans they have for it.

The rumor that the helmet was seen on Bungie day in the live stream is entirely rumor. Nobody saw it. Those that claim they have are simply trolling.

I myself did not, since I didn't ask, but this user did, and so did he.

So yeah, it might be true. Maybe the Internet is telling the truth after all. Then again, this all might be doings of some cunning mind like Enigma (no offense, but you know the threads I speak of(:))). All you need is a small group of people - or even just a handful of users - with the same plan: to troll.

So yeah, everyone is free to believe what they want to. I myself believe the evidence, or the lack of it.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2011, 22:13:18 »
Still, a lack of solid proof means there is a possibility of scam.
Also, Evil Otto - a Bungie Employee - seems to have sent people asking about the helmet this message:

Today I came in to work to find there were nearly a hundred messages, mostly about the BOB or GRB helmet rumor. I am not going to type 100 messages today, so I am going to type once and paste it in all the questions. Here is my definitive answer:

Certain Affinity, under the direction of 343 industries, created the Defiant map pack. When Microsoft released screenshots of the Defiant pack, people noticed a previously un-seen helmet on one of the Spartans.

We at Bungie do not know what 343 has in store with this helmet, and the internet is full of theories. Like you, we will just have to wait and see what, if any, plans they have for it.

The rumor that the helmet was seen on Bungie day in the live stream is entirely rumor. Nobody saw it. Those that claim they have are simply trolling.

So yeah, it might be true. Maybe the Internet is telling the truth after all. Then again, this all might be doings of some cunning mind like Enigma (no offense, but you know the threads I speak of(:))). All you need is a small group of people - or even just a handful of users - with the same plan: to troll.

So yeah, everyone is free to believe what they want to. I myself believe the evidence, or the lack of it.

None taken. I did the ghost of squid henge and supplied picture proof (In game) with the plinths in place. I had everyone believing it was real.

If I said, did you see that huge meteor last night? You might say oh yea it was awesome! and then you ask someone and that person asks another...so on and so on...Now everyone is saying they saw it but in truth it never existed.  People just don't want to be left out and will not dispute it as truth.

The helmet is real, we have all seen it but Bungie did not have it and it was never seen on the POD cast. Fact.

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 23:30:57 »
Enigma and Imppa, you provide a very good point. My bad for relying on the Top Forum Topics for information on this, I would take Otto's word over their's any day (even though I think he was the one who said there would be no FF DLC  :P). Since most of who I saw on the forums believed it and nobody disagreed, I had no choice but to accept it, especially since we've already seen the helmet before. These are some great trolls.

I guess Bungie really must not know about the GRD helmet, let's wait and see what 343 has to say about this.
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 10:19:11 »
I guess Bungie really must not know about the GRD helmet, let's wait and see what 343 has to say about this.
I think that when 343 finally takes over, the case with the helmet is revealed.
And if it involes BOBs, and we do NOT have a guide about them, we've lost a great, great chance of fame. Because when something is proven rock-solidly a fact, some of those very enthusiastic (and probably lifeless) people wit too much time in their hands will do it. Well, actually, that has already kinda happened, but it isn't that good. It's on youtube, and has LOTS of false info (part 1).

I think we should get on with this, people! FOR REAL!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 14:24:44 »
I doubt the only new armor piece is the BOB helmet. There are probably more. It's either a recon, or it comes with a whole pack of other armors. But it's 343's. The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 08:57:41 »
The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).
I don't think there's any proof to that either, but yeah, it might be.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2011, 15:50:14 »
The picture seen on IGN was not Halo Reach, it was Halo CE Anniversary playing the Halo Reach multiplayer (it comes with it).

The proof is that Bungie does not know what the Helmet is. Unless someone from 343 somehow snuck the helmet in, which is basically not possible, it's not on the disc.
Adding armor to the disc is basically tons of work without a virtue, I doubt 343 would do all that. What's easier, is to just make it on the disc in the first place. Which is what I think happened with Anniversary.
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 21:09:39 »

The proof is that Bungie does not know what the Helmet is. Unless someone from 343 somehow snuck the helmet in, which is basically not possible, it's not on the disc.
Adding armor to the disc is basically tons of work without a virtue, I doubt 343 would do all that. What's easier, is to just make it on the disc in the first place. Which is what I think happened with Anniversary.
Or 343 is a bunch of trolls.

Either way, I agree with Imppa; we need to get working again. I wish I could help in game, but without an Xbox, I will only be able to bounce ideas off you guys :(
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 08:03:54 »
Anyone remember this old b.net topic, started by "The Game1415", from 2011.04.20?

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=59238815&postRepeater1-p=1

The post has 180+ pages of responses these days.

Among my favorite claims from this post are:

Me and my crew HRS know every spawn, on every level, on every difficulty for BOB
This helmet is on the disk hidden away along with the chest piece we have seen in so many pictures.

I'm not trying to start a nasty flame war here.  In fact, I messaged the author back in April and warned about the tone of the post which I thought was horribly misleading.  The response I received on 4/20 (also in attached screenshot) was:

Could I see a video of the seven spawns? Or could you list them, because we have never managed to find more than three unique spawns for him on the specified level.

I was reading through the comments, and I did state my theories as facts just to try and motivate people into looking again, as a reassurance type of thing. The BOB topic has been discussed so much that if I place any types of doubt into peoples minds they might not want to look.

I understand Game1415's intent to motivate research.  And after 180 pages of responses, I'd say the motivational effort was a success... even on b.net.  On the other side of the coin, the popularity of the post has led people to take for granted many things which have never been substantiated. 

For one, it is pure conjecture that the helmet is meant to represent a BOB despite the screenshot from Marathon.  The linking of the helmet designed by 343/Certain Affinity to the in-game BOBs designed and implemented by Bungie is a monumental leap of logic, even IF you take for granted that the Marathon image proves a BOB connection.  Personally, I bristle at every mention of a "BOB Helmet" and am thankful that this has fallen out of favor in lieu of "GRD Helmet".  Oh, by the way: sighting of "GRD Helmet" in Bungie stafff's armory?  VOIDO.

Before Game1415's post in April and before the Defiant Map Pack was released, the Halo Waypoint forums were all buzzing with theories about the helmet's data pre-existing on the Halo:Reach game disc. 

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/3087.aspx?PageIndex=2

Quote from: Pwnage x360a on Feb 25, 2011 7:38 PM
Im guessing that the armour is already locked inside the reach game disc contents So files downloaded from a seperte title update may unlock it ?

Quote from: EpicGamerMonkey on Feb 25, 2011 8:09 PM
It's probably been pre-programmed into the disk by Bungie and now it'll unlock if you get a certain Defiant map pack achievement. (Similar to the Waypoint armor unlocks?)

The founder of the rebooted "New Reach Secrets" (NRS) group on B.net (KtanDantaktee) quickly latched on to the same idea, responding to BS Angel's quote that "There is no new armor coming with the Defiant Map Pack":
Quote from: KtanDantaktee7 on Feb 25, 2011 9:51 PM
You said no new armor COMING with Defiant, so that doesn't mean that new Armor will become unlocked at some point. The new Armor is probably Disc Locked Content, and it may become unlocked when Defiant comes out, or at a later point.

mrhalo007 and company over at NRS seemed to come to the consensus back in August that they felt the helmet might appear as a TU, but that the data wasn't on the disc.  This was half a year after BSAngel clearly stated that armor wasn't coming with Defiant... and almost nine months later has anyone seen the helmet in their armory?

I'm proud to say that one of our own, CIA391, was the first to respond to BSAngel and one of the only people to simply take what she said at face value:

Quote from: CIA391 on Feb 25, 2011 6:27 PM
Thanks Angel.
Now there's proof from someone that's played the maps that there's no new armor.

Sure, I've had my share of wild and desperate "theories" for unlocking all sorts of things in ODST and Reach.  But I'd like to think that I- and all SGP members- strive to delineate between what is fact and what is simply conjecture... or wishful thinking.

It certainly seems odd that an unexplained, seemingly unobtainable helmet would take center stage in the promotional run-up to the release of the Defiant Map Pack.  Perhaps one day we'll hear some insider reminiscing about the stir that was created when a concept artist's helmet design made it out to the public as marketing material even after the development team was forced to cut the corresponding DLC armor update due to technical limitations.  But that's just my crazy off-the-cuff explanation, and I won't state it as fact on b.net or anyplace else!

Likewise, you can't quote me as saying that the "GRD Helmet" is a total myth and will "never" appear as a future unlockable in Reach.  I simply don't know.  What I can tell you is that if I were inclined to search for a 343i secret, I'd be searching in 343i content.  But that's just how I'd go about it.  In the meantime, I have actual Bungie BOBs to go document. 

Thanks for reading, and please drop CIA some positive karma, will ya?
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 17:06:40 »
Well thanks for the mention. I do listen to employees, I even had links with Bungie when I was doing my canon order on B.Net(But thats classified info*).
I trust employees when they give straight up answers. Thats all it is.

*Classified by things I even can't tell you as they would break a very long secret that was handed down to 343i. And no, I dont mean the Helmet. Plus I can't tell you the info anyway all of it on my broken computer thats getting fixed.
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 17:49:05 »
SG 2 the P is on fire!

:::Typing out loud::::

Halo: Combat evolved Anniversary (1 Disk)

Achievements 1000 GS

7 new maps for multiplayer (On Disk)

From what I remember hearing the new maps are only playable on HCEA and NOT on Reach (currently). Now, if you own the current DLC for Reach is that compatible with HCEA? I think at least the Defiant map pack would be. 343 has been working on HCEA when they did the Defiant pack, this makes me think that they tested the map on HCEA or they unlock armor FROM HCEA and tested it on Reach.

I would think 343 would like to have added their own little armor to Halo and since they can't ADD amour to Reach they added it on the HCEA disk. Obviously the GRD/BOB helmet is real some where...just not currently to the public.

BS angel doesn't deny its existence but she doesn't explain who, what, where or why. She has eluded to it being a mystery.

My thought is it is real but we will have to wait until November.

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 14:58:00 »
Also, Evil Otto - a Bungie Employee - seems to have sent people asking about the helmet this message...

Hey, this is really helpful.  I've been looking for more official word on the helmet from Bungie.  Thanks!

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2012, 05:58:21 »
According to this thread, a 343 employee himself has said that there is no unlockable GRD helmet. Or DLC armor, for that matter.

"We were prototyping and experimenting with adding new armor variants as part of the Anniversary release. Unfortunately, that feature was cut due to time/resource constraints. The Spartan plushies on the Anniversary Maps are an acknowledgement of that via easter egg.

-David Ellis"

Well. If this is the truth, then there is no wearable GRD helmet. So much for that.