Author Topic: Hinos, Hynos, & the Full Metal Jacket Connection (Move to Gen Librarians' Bd)  (Read 14632 times)

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
WARNING:  Some of the below links, in particular the video, may contain graphic violence and/or bad language and are not for the faint of heart.  View at your own risk.

So I was watching Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket over the weekend because I have Netflix and I felt like something dark and depressing and IMPORTANT.  Or something like this.  :P  Anyhow, imagine my surprise when I catch a glimpse of a billboard in the film's background that reads "HYNOS" (as seen at 8:06 in this video).  (More on this video later.  For now just forward to that.)  This rang a bell of course because of the Hinos references in ODST and also because of the "There Are Many Like It" Daily Challenge, which I recently realized was a reference to The Rifleman's Creed, which is prominently featured in FMJ.

I did a little research on Hynos and according to Rob Ager, who has written extensively on the subliminal messages present in the film (and is the creator of the above youtube video), Hynos was a real-life Vietnamese toothpaste manufacturing company.  Thus, the billboard makes sense in the context of the film.  However, Ager hypothesizes that the film's billboards contain hidden messages.  

Ager is kind of like us, or put another way, Ager is to Kubrick what we are to Halo - totally committed and more than a little insane.  You can read for yourself here, or here for the whole dissertation, but I warn you:  it's quite a slog.  The two things that leapt out at me were a) that the film is widely believed to contain hidden messages (sort of like something else we know) and b) that Ager believes one of the central themes to be that the soldiers are really fighting themselves.  Whether this is a psychic battle (as most of us might draw from watching the film or any other good war movie) or whether Kubrick is actually alleging some kind of conspiracy (as Ager hypothesizes), I really cannot say.  BUT I did find this interesting because it's another case - as with the terminals and datapads - where we have stories within stories and where this second "hidden" story seems to indicate that the enemy is not who we believe it to be.  

Anyhoo, I'm getting grandiose as usual.  Most likely, the Bungie guys are big hoo-rah! fans of FMJ and the Hinos company is a shout-out among the more obvious shout-outs, the main one being the casting of FMJ's Animal Mother, Adam Baldwin of Firefly fame, as the voice of ODST Dutch, who says things like, "Haven't you ever seen Full Metal Jacket?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 21:05:01 by The Arkaeologist »

Insane Monx

• View Profile
I sort of see what your getting at, but what is the HINOS reference in ODST?
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Nader

• ¿ɯsɐ ʎɯ ʞuıן ʎןpuıʞ noʎ pןnoʍ
    • View Profile
After reading this all i think of is firefly now, but ill be sure to find the bilboard in the game. Do you know its position?

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
Very interesting!
Now I need to watch FMJ!
I am tree.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Hinos is a car company, IIRC. what are the colors on this billboard? I can't watch the video right now.
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Hinos is a company in New Mombasa.  Here are the images in our image gallery and here is more info from the haloped.  We had discussed Hinos before on here, but I should have provided more background.  Sorry!

ill be sure to find the bilboard in the game. Do you know its position?
I can't remember the exact location at the moment, but you can see the images in the gallery, link directly above in my response to Monx.

Very interesting!
Now I need to watch FMJ!
Like other Kubrick films, it gets under your skin.  For me, the music esp. (as featured at the beginning of the video linked in the OP).

Hinos is a car company, IIRC. what are the colors on this billboard? I can't watch the video right now.
Hino appears to be a manufacturer of big diesel trucks/buses/chassis, Australian I assume, Japanese it seems.  So if you had multiple Hinos, you would have Hinos....so yea! :laugh:  Though according to the haloped, Hinos products, whatever they may be, appear to be small enough to be sold in a store with other products.  It does look water-related.  As for colors, Night, green and white in the film (Hynos), blue and white on grey in-game (Hinos).  I haven't researched every occurrence in film though to guarantee that the color scheme is consistent.

Update @Night:  The Hinos letters are black with a red dot over the 'i' on the Oh2-Hnzu store sign.  See haloped.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 00:06:00 by The Arkaeologist »

Nader

• ¿ɯsɐ ʎɯ ʞuıן ʎןpuıʞ noʎ pןnoʍ
    • View Profile
Hinos is a company in New Mombasa.  Here are the images in our image gallery and here is more info from the haloped.  We had discussed Hinos before on here, but I should have provided more background.

The link brings me to here http:/// which ofcourse is nothing. Ill find it in the gallery and fix the link in this post.

EDIT: fixed it in the quote. Shows both HINOS pics.

Halopedia info:

■The company may be a parody of the present day NOS drink, as the company's logo makes the impression that it deals drinks or water in some way.
■The Hinos logo can be found on one of the buildings in the Halo:Reach level New Alexandria.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 00:04:53 by Nader »

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
@Nade:  Fixed above as well.  I was doing too many links too fast....apparently!  Thanks, Nader!
Halopedia info:

■The company may be a parody of the present day NOS drink, as the company's logo makes the impression that it deals drinks or water in some way.

Yup, I saw that and it does look water-related.  Could be all it is.  What a coincidence since we know they're FMJ fans.  But I'm sort of into going with the most light-hearted explanation these days! (Bungie employee:  It is 2 a.m. and I need five corporate-y-sounding names by morning.  (Glances at desk and history is made!))  Still think it's possible though.... @:

Ark likes making Bungies more profound than they are.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 12:26:09 by The Arkaeologist »