Author Topic: Barcode Database  (Read 3362 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: Barcode Database
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 05:37:32 »
Scat, when you get a chance will you please explain your interpretation of the controller scans I provided?  What exactly did your handy UPC ready program determine?  How did you arrive at that binary string?  What's with those decimal numbers?  Grid?

My apologies in advance if I'm missing some key element here.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 14:18:40 »
I didn't actually use a scanner, but I should get to that.

To every barcode is a start and stop character. These usually have a large space after them, like this one does.
But to decode it manually, you need to find the numbers. Notice the bar I encircled in red. This is 1 bar. Now, how many bars can fit into the first block of the barcode? Most likely 2. So that would be 11. How many spaces in between that and the next bar? I guessed. It will be easy with a grid, but I don't want to make a grid when not sure of what's a 1 and what isn't. Say, 6 spaces. 110000001. Since the Single bar is after those 6 spaces, you add a 1. But it's not binary. A complete list of the numbers can be found on wikipedia.

If this post wasn't to helpful, it's because it's early and I haven't had much time writing it. I will be back to elaborate.
I feel it

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 17:10:03 »
Although it is most certainly a worthwhile academic pursuit to manually decode bar codes, they were meant to be machine-readable, not human-readable.  So to that end, I suggest feeding these to a machine first, and saving human interpretation as a backup or for error correction.

::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 22:55:25 »
Although it is most certainly a worthwhile academic pursuit to manually decode bar codes, they were meant to be machine-readable, not human-readable.  So to that end, I suggest feeding these to a machine first, and saving human interpretation as a backup or for error correction.

Unfortunately most Barcodes in Reach are rendered unusable because the texture quality is to low to read. The ones that Night has provided haven't led to anything, and yours is tilted. There's not much we can do about that, even with the greatest photoshop skills. Rotating certain parts of the image degrades line quality, and that is the most important thing here. We can't have any extra or taken away pixels. Every line matters.

I've scanned all of these. I'll get to human decoding either today or soon. Although they may be machine readable, everything loses quality when put through camera and then a computer. Since we can't do anything about that, in come the humans.
I feel it