Author Topic: BOB 7-A-01 found on Exodus, Grants Golden Opportunity  (Read 2380 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
BOB 7-A-01 found on Exodus, Grants Golden Opportunity
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:51:00 »
The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat.

Yesterday, Scatcycle and I (assisted by Monx and Nader) labored to take advantage of the "Golden Opportunity" challenge and confirm whether some of the Banshee BOBs count for the challenge.

Long story short, we confirmed that the Banshee boosting out toward your Falcon at the beginning of Rally Point Bravo (7-B-01) counts for the challenge.  Until I accidentally overwrote it, I even had video of the challenge notification popping up on my screen when I killed it.  (Very sorry about that.)  Scat and Monx can also vouch for this, as they also got the challenge using this "Bobshee" on Exodus.  

After Scat noted that this BOB didn't spawn reliably, I postulated that there HAD to be at least one more BOB on Exodus.  Every other level I have tested has worked this way.  Well, I was right.

I sped through the entire level on Easy and saved the film.  The known BOB at RP Bravo didn't spawn, so we knew there had to be another one in my saved film somewhere.  After reviewing the film, Scat found ANOTHER constantly boosting Banshee after RP Alpha, as you exit the building and make your way outside to the second building's staircases.  It spawns down at the cargo port area that you have to jetpack across, right behind the red loading cranes.  It flies up and in between the buildings that you're moving between, then explodes as it reaches the top of the level.

Using a second profile, I was able to confirm that this Banshee also causes you to complete the "Golden Opportunity" challenge, and I managed to keep the video this time.

Video clip currently on our YouTube account:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-YphsFMwuw

Although this BOB was new to me and Scat, it was already documented on YouTube back in May.  Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FieFUo7-HrM

I like to assign IDs to things, and BOBs are no exception.  I dub this BOB 7-A-01.  This follows the Standard Gaming Practice (SGP) for numbering BOBs based on the mission they occur in (7), followed by a code indicating the area within the mission (A = after Rally Point Alpha), followed by a simple sequence number in case we find more BOBs on Mission 7 after RP Alpha.

When you view your Post Game Carnage Report, the BOB appears as a Banshee kill.  Killing the BOB increments your kill total by 2, though.  In other words, if you add up each of the individual kills listed, the number will be less than the total number of kills you made when you select your name from the PGCR.

The reason for the discrepancy can be seen on your bungie.net game history entry for the game.  On b.net, the BOB counts as both "Banshee-Vehicle" and "Covenant-Pilot".  Much like friendly kills (such as Marines) are not itemized on the in-game PGCR, neither are Covenant Pilots.  The difference between Marines and Covenant Pilots is that the PGCR includes the latter in your kill total.  In other words, the same data is being reported a little differently online than it is in-game.

The big issue here is that no "Seek and Destroy" Bungie.net medal is awarded for either of these "Banshee BOBs" on Exodus.  Without an "Elite Light Vehicle" appearing in the PGCR or an "Elite Ranger - BOB" appearing on b.net, there simply is no way to confirm that a destroyed Banshee is actually a BOB other than when it grants you the "Golden Opportunity" challenge.  Eventually- when we're certain we have all the BOBs on Exodus accounted for- this won't matter.  For now, it means we can only find "BOB candidates" to confirm later when the challenge appears again.

The good news is that we now have two confirmed BOB spawn points in Exodus.  As we continue to save and review full Exodus game films on Easy, we'll be able to determine if there are even more.

Thanks to everyone who helped!!!

LLtSGP
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 14:15:39 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Insane Monx

• View Profile
Re: BOB 7-A-01 found on Exodus, Grants Golden Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 21:26:54 »
What I gathered from that was basically that Bob =/= Banshee Bob, correct?

And just so everyone knows, Scat and I got the challenge simultaneously. He killed the Banshee, but I was in the same Falcon on the other side.
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Nader

• ¿ɯsɐ ʎɯ ʞuıן ʎןpuıʞ noʎ pןnoʍ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 22:27:33 »
What I gathered from that was basically that Bob = Banshee Bob, correct?

And just so everyone knows, Scat and I got the challenge simultaneously. He killed the Banshee, but I was in the same Falcon on the other side.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 22:46:16 »
What I gathered from that was basically that Bob =/= Banshee Bob, correct?

It's pretty much half and half. A Bobshee does not contain an actual Bob. Both types of Bobs grant the "Golden Opportunity" challenge. Only the physical Bob will grant you a search and destroy medal.

The Bobshees use the same spawning mechanism as physical Bobs. But they may use a different despawning mechanism. For example, 7-A-01 will explode instead of despawning. BOB 7-B-01 has been seen crashing into cement, blowing up.

And Monx did not shoot at the banshee at all. Which is pretty odd. He was not involved in the kill whatsoever, but he still got the challenge.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 22:58:25 by Scatcycle »
I feel it

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 16:35:35 »
 ;)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile