Author Topic: Enyclopedia BOBtannica  (Read 17661 times)

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Enyclopedia BOBtannica
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 02:55:09 »
Until we kill the Anonymous Banshee Pilot (ABP) without destroying its Banshee, we do not know whether it is the ABP, the Banshee, or both which are involved in the requirements of the "Golden Opportunity", "If It Bleeds...", and "Golden Tree City" daily challenges.
Does that mean no one has tried to hijack a Banshee BOB ("Bobshee" just sounds too sexual) instead of blowing it to smithereens?

If it is attempted and proven to be impossible (i.e., we can't hijack Banshee BOBs), then we can't say if what triggers the daily challenges is the destruction of the Banshees themselves or the invisible pilots inside, whose existence was, I believe, proven by Scatcycle (do we have an official thread/video containing the proof?).
It doesn't matter, though: knowing which of the cases triggers the challenges would be purely academic, and not actually meaningful for practical purposes.

If it is attempted and proven to be possible, then I guess the answer arises immediately.
I am tree.

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 13:02:55 »
Thanks, nightcrafter!

I like the discussion here, it's always good to get multiple points of view!

There are a few reasons why I don't think there are only 10 BOBs in Reach:

1. Allegedly, people have gotten one BOB on each level on Legendary; nothing happened.  I expect SOME indication of success when you've gotten "all" of them.

2. The "Elite Ranger BOB" description on Bnet says "Wipe them out" not "Get one on each level".

I'm not saying, at all, that more than one BOB can spawn at a time in a level.  I actually specify in Part 2 of my guide that if you want to get all 7 WC BOBs, you need to replay the level multiple times.  I could explain this again and again in my videos, but ultimately I'd be wasting my viewers' time.

On the topic of Banshee BOBs: you can't jack Banshees on Exodus at all.  For NA, the problem is one of speed; the NA Banshee BOB goes faster than a Falcon, so that trick where you "land" your Falcon on top, hop out, and jack the Banshee probably isn't going to work.  The only way you could do that is if you knew exactly where the Banshee BOB spawns, as in within a few feet, and happened to be in its path and ready to jack it a few seconds after it spawns.  It's not impossible, and I've tried it before, but it's certainly improbable.  In any case, there's no way to get the Banshee BOB Pilot to "land" on a roof, so you wouldn't be able to kill it separately... it still would be interesting to see if you got the GTC challenge a few seconds after you boarded him or not.

If I get time, I might try jacking the NA BOB again.  Might not be for a while though, what with HCEA and all that.

PS: Dan Miller did New Alexandria and The Package, but I don't think that he did Exodus.  I don't think it's fair to say that it's all because of him that the Banshee BOBs are wonky.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 15:11:38 »
If you jack a banshee but fail to kill the anonymous pilot, you should get the kill when he falls to his death.

I feel it

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 16:30:39 »
If you jack a banshee but fail to kill the anonymous pilot, you should get the kill when he falls to his death.

Exactly.  I've asked RC Master to give this a shot (he has the current speedrun record for NA, and is pretty good at jacking Banshees mid-air) and I'll try it when I can.  If I get it, or if it isn't possible, I'll render a vid and put a link here.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 23:27:25 »
You won't be able to just "jack" this banshee. You will need to slow it down first. How? I'd suggest blocking it's flight path with a falcon, causing it to get stuck in the grooves of the falcon. This method has been discussed and attempted before, but in our attempts, we could never get low enough to block the bobshee in time.
I feel it

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2011, 00:22:51 »
Sorry if this is a bit sidetracking, but could it be that Bobshees are the only form of Bobs on levels with Falcons? I'm thinking levels with Bobs on the ground will not have them in banshees, and levels with them in the banshees will not have them on the ground. Then again, there could be an exception to the numerous Bob locations that I am missing. One I can think of is the Bob Banshee on the Package, that flies over Halsey's lab. I have yet to see a video of this one, but I know there was a Bungie Rendered Video floating around the forums of it at one time. Sadly I never had the space to download the stupid Microsoft Silverlight onto this computer, so I was left without determining if it was real or not  :(
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2011, 00:49:23 »
There's a Falcon on Winter Contingency, and there are normal BOBs there.  New Alexandria and Exodus are the only levels with Banshee BOBs.  Dan Miller, who designed The Package (as well as New Alexandria, btw) has stated that there is no Banshee BOB on The Package.  I would strongly recommend that during the next Golden Opportunity challenge someone gets a vid proving this; I would, but I have no capture card.

Here's DMiller's comment: http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1092899

So, no, it's not real.  Just some weird bug, which would have been nice to know before I spent an hour trying to Splaser it.  SUCCESSFULLY.  Still, took a long time.

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2011, 00:57:17 »
My bad, I didn't clarify. I meant that there are only two types of Bobs, one you can kill from Falcons (Bobshees), and ones you kill without shooting from a Falcon.

This is why I believe there isn't a Bobshee on the scripted Falcon ride on TotS, because there is Bobs on the ground in that mission. I think it's either one or the other, until someone can provide evidence of a ground Bob on Exodus/New Alexandria, or a Bobshee on the other levels.

My hypothesis: If you see a Bobshee, then you won't find a regular Bob on that level, and vice versa.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:17:41 by Insane Monx »
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2011, 16:03:48 »
My bad, I didn't clarify. I meant that there are only two types of Bobs, one you can kill from Falcons (Bobshees), and ones you kill without shooting from a Falcon.
You can kill bobshees without falcons. There are two on the Exodus level that you have to kill your hands.
I feel it

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2011, 16:37:43 »
You can kill bobshees without falcons. There are two on the Exodus level that you have to kill your hands.

I know what you meant, but I like the idea of beating a Banshee BOB to death.  I might try this.  Plasma overcharge, melee, repeat.  A lot.

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2011, 23:36:30 »

My hypothesis: If you see a Bobshee, then you won't find a regular Bob on that level, and vice versa.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 00:03:53 »

I know what you meant, but I like the idea of beating a Banshee BOB to death.  I might try this.  Plasma overcharge, melee, repeat.  A lot.
Me and CG "tamed" the 07-B-2 Bobshee. Exodus, level seven. The one in the beachhead. After many unsuccessful plasma overcharged attempts, we finally hit it, causing it to get stuck in some geometry. We sat around on it, we had truly tamed the beast. Unfortunately, you cannot Jack air vehicles in this level, so we couldn't jack it. If I can remember correctly, we may have beat it to death. Maybe CG will remember. But yes, you should give it a shot, it is possible.
I feel it