Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: Black Ops

SGP: Theories - Inaccessible Areas

(1/15) > >>

ColdGlider:
Over at the big forum, there is a Bungie Thread regarding the inaccessible areas of the Mombasa Streets level.  This is something I have thought about for some time, but being only one member of the SGP I can only research so much at a time.  Here are some of my theories, in case anyone would like to weigh in.

For the purpose of this discussion, I will be referring to blacked-out areas of the map as "dark areas" and will abbreviate Mombasa Streets as MS.

Theory 1:  The dark areas are largely reserved for future DLC.  If more DLC is deemed worthwhile by Bungie then they'll already have locations pre-built into New Mombasa that have defined links to the rest of the city (the currently locked District Doors.)  If no DLC is made, then the player will be left to assume that the dark areas simply weren't of any concern to the ODST squad in the context of their mission.

Theory 2:  The dark areas are unlockable, but require you to play on a particular difficulty setting.  Perhaps you have to wander MS in Legendary Mode to find that a previously locked security door showing up green.  Perhaps there are additional requirements, such as Achievements.  This should be the most readily accessible theory to test.

Theory 3:  The glyphs lead the way to unlocking the dark areas.  We have seen the Super TriGlyph become the Super DiGlyph.  The legendary ending of the game reveals the existence of Super MonoGlyhs as well.  Perhaps if we discover how to make the Magic Wall reveal the Super MonoGlyph, we'll find our Easter Egg or at least be one step closer to it.

Theory 4:  It takes 2-4 players in Co-Op Campaign to unlock the dark areas.  Has anyone actually played in MS with four players and looked for clues?  How about on Legendary?  We could be in for some surprises.  Perhaps players must be standing near multiple "key areas" in a District at the same to unlock the secret.  The squidhenges suddenly spring to mind.

Theory 5:  You need to acquire the recon armor to get into the dark areas.  Conceptually, this makes sense to me.  It is reconnaissance armor after all, and these areas would be something additional to explore outside the bounds of the normal campaign.  Everyone knows what to expect of the armor while you play in Halo 3 Multiplayer, but no one seems to be considering what might change in ODST.  You have to link your gamertag to your Bungie.net account to receive the armor and then Halo 3 will subsequently unlock it.  There's no reason why ODST couldn't be linked into that process as well to unlock something on its side of the fence.  It has been planned for quite some time now to unlock recon armor through ODST.  Given that a main character (Dare) wears this armor throughout the story and there is even dialog written around it, the idea that recon plays a larger part in the game seems natural to me.

Kenji:
Don't really know if I should post in this thread, I got too excited to read rules. (will do so in a moment, as well as spice up my profile).

Te debunk a couple of your theories... I have gained all the achievements and recon armor. (I'm not bragging, hell, I don't even wear the recon armor)
The progress I have found is done in legendary as I have noticed before in halo games that you need to be on certain dificulties to get the skulls.

I would like to say more but ill add that to the respective threads...

Again sorry if i was not supposed to post here!

ColdGlider:
Please- post all you like, Kenji!  It's just this sort of information that is valuable to the search!  Knowing that we have someone involved who has those credentials just means you get to do more work!  LOL  Because we'll be sending requests your way to try things in the hopes that it makes a difference with Recon.

Thanks for registering, and please keep us updated!

Kenji:
Lol, so now I'm more "qualified"?

something tells me I'm in for the long haul...

Kenji:
Oh a point to make... the door that was found on b.net that you have to access by looking at the glyphs?
There is another door leading out of the room and into a hall that is normally accessable. There is a plasma grenade and a fire grenade on the floor just outside the door...
Just saying this to get your brains working...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version