Author Topic: SGP: Theories - Inaccessible Areas  (Read 34558 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
SGP: Theories - Inaccessible Areas
« on: October 03, 2009, 22:33:41 »
Over at the big forum, there is a Bungie Thread regarding the inaccessible areas of the Mombasa Streets level.  This is something I have thought about for some time, but being only one member of the SGP I can only research so much at a time.  Here are some of my theories, in case anyone would like to weigh in.

For the purpose of this discussion, I will be referring to blacked-out areas of the map as "dark areas" and will abbreviate Mombasa Streets as MS.

Theory 1:  The dark areas are largely reserved for future DLC.  If more DLC is deemed worthwhile by Bungie then they'll already have locations pre-built into New Mombasa that have defined links to the rest of the city (the currently locked District Doors.)  If no DLC is made, then the player will be left to assume that the dark areas simply weren't of any concern to the ODST squad in the context of their mission.

Theory 2:  The dark areas are unlockable, but require you to play on a particular difficulty setting.  Perhaps you have to wander MS in Legendary Mode to find that a previously locked security door showing up green.  Perhaps there are additional requirements, such as Achievements.  This should be the most readily accessible theory to test.

Theory 3:  The glyphs lead the way to unlocking the dark areas.  We have seen the Super TriGlyph become the Super DiGlyph.  The legendary ending of the game reveals the existence of Super MonoGlyhs as well.  Perhaps if we discover how to make the Magic Wall reveal the Super MonoGlyph, we'll find our Easter Egg or at least be one step closer to it.

Theory 4:  It takes 2-4 players in Co-Op Campaign to unlock the dark areas.  Has anyone actually played in MS with four players and looked for clues?  How about on Legendary?  We could be in for some surprises.  Perhaps players must be standing near multiple "key areas" in a District at the same to unlock the secret.  The squidhenges suddenly spring to mind.

Theory 5:  You need to acquire the recon armor to get into the dark areas.  Conceptually, this makes sense to me.  It is reconnaissance armor after all, and these areas would be something additional to explore outside the bounds of the normal campaign.  Everyone knows what to expect of the armor while you play in Halo 3 Multiplayer, but no one seems to be considering what might change in ODST.  You have to link your gamertag to your Bungie.net account to receive the armor and then Halo 3 will subsequently unlock it.  There's no reason why ODST couldn't be linked into that process as well to unlock something on its side of the fence.  It has been planned for quite some time now to unlock recon armor through ODST.  Given that a main character (Dare) wears this armor throughout the story and there is even dialog written around it, the idea that recon plays a larger part in the game seems natural to me.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:24:10 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Theories - Inaccessible Areas
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 16:20:43 »
Don't really know if I should post in this thread, I got too excited to read rules. (will do so in a moment, as well as spice up my profile).

Te debunk a couple of your theories... I have gained all the achievements and recon armor. (I'm not bragging, hell, I don't even wear the recon armor)
The progress I have found is done in legendary as I have noticed before in halo games that you need to be on certain dificulties to get the skulls.

I would like to say more but ill add that to the respective threads...

Again sorry if i was not supposed to post here!
...this coffee sucks.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 16:42:09 »
Please- post all you like, Kenji!  It's just this sort of information that is valuable to the search!  Knowing that we have someone involved who has those credentials just means you get to do more work!  LOL  Because we'll be sending requests your way to try things in the hopes that it makes a difference with Recon.

Thanks for registering, and please keep us updated!

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 16:45:28 »
Lol, so now I'm more "qualified"?

something tells me I'm in for the long haul...
...this coffee sucks.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 16:57:30 »
Oh a point to make... the door that was found on b.net that you have to access by looking at the glyphs?
There is another door leading out of the room and into a hall that is normally accessable. There is a plasma grenade and a fire grenade on the floor just outside the door...
Just saying this to get your brains working...
...this coffee sucks.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 17:44:01 »
If it helps, I've been in area 09.. I mean ALL over area 09 but my friend lost his connection and I can't recover the video... But a tip to get over the ever omnipresent plasma barriers... the plasma coils... you know them from forge. push it up to the barrier and stand on it... it helps if it is upright or upside down (its taller that way) now have your friend stand on your head and then (you or your friend) throw a 'nade at it and as it explodes do a double jump... It takes a few tries so you might want to wait for a check point before you blow it up...

EDIT: Another note. Make sure the guy who isn't going over the top either dies in the explosion or has a means to cause his death nearby or on hand. That way you can both poke around!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 18:27:58 by Kenji Hiamoto »
...this coffee sucks.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 19:17:53 »
If you were to do this in District 00, I believe you'd enter a dark area.  Can you?!?

mob legndkiller

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 19:37:22 »
If anyone wants to do this and needs help i would gladly do so. My gamertag is the same as my account name spelling and all.

VsH Tepec Fett

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Halocreation : French Glitchers Community
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 19:41:52 »
Hi !

Yes, you can go in some dark areas, in sector 0, sector 9 and sector 5 (i haven't take pics for this one yet, but it'll be done soon), and you can see the videos in my file share (barrière bleue and barrière bleue2 ).

But, like i said on bungie forums, there's nothing interesting in those black areas, and :
I explored 3 black areas at present, in sector 9, sector 0 and sector 5 ; those black areas didn't need any loading sequence, and they're not totally blocked by these huge doors saying "Lane Closed" (there is some other way to get in).
This is different with the Sectors 2, 1 (except during the mission "Coastal Highway", because you are in a part of sector 1 during this mission) and Sector 7 : they are totally blocked by these doors, and that means they need a loading sequence to be "actives" .
I tried to get in sector 7 and 2 by the black area in district 5, but the doors are still there, so it's, with the little knowledge i have, impossible at present.
The "Mongoose way" someone told here, and i used to go in many "secrets rooms" like i said before, doesn't work, because of the width of these doors, and because, again, of the loading sequence these districts require to be activated.
Moreover, the invisible ceiling doesn't allow us to go above these doors.
One of the only possibilities i see now to get in these 3 black areas in Mombasa Streets is to find a secret room that allow us to go from sector 8 to sector 7 (it could be possible, but i'm very sceptic about that).
The other possibility could be to find a way to go above this invisible ceiling ; but i tried with other glitchers, but, we just succeeded to go on some high zone, but not above the ceiling.

Moreover, about those "secrets rooms", that are in fact "non-used rooms, so non-finished and locked rooms" :
A mate found how to get in some secrets rooms , normally blocked by security doors which cannot be opened ... But we don't think we've found all of them, and i actually don't believe we could find one with a sword.

I think those districts in black are just there because of the way Bungie could create ODST game :
I believe that they created New Mombasa Streets, and then decided where they could place the "mission beacons" and audio files ; when it was done, they saw that some biiig districts were un-used, and, as they used same building models, they thought that these useless districts would contribuate to make players "loose their way" in the city. So they locked Districts 1, 2 and 7.

But i Believe that, if there is a chance to go in these non loaded districts, that could be by a glitch, in the District 10, by crossing above the invisible ceiling and doing some "out of map" (i don't know how you say that).

I hope my experience and opinion will help you,

Tepec

P.S. : sorry for my crap English, i'm French ... I hope you will understand !

[EDIT] If we believe that go into those black sectors doesn't need "the glitch way" , it is possible that we need to play in particular difficulty (Legendary ? I tried to play it in Normal difficulty in co-op with two other players, and nothing was different) , but i don't think this way could require some achievements or Recon Armour ... Maybe a secondary skull ? "I Would Have Been Your Father" if we hope an unusual answer from the Super Intendant, or "Blind" because of the fact that it make the game so much harder ! Maybe in Legendary, solo, with all skulls activated : for Halo 3, some guys called that the "Mythic Difficulty" , Bungie could have done something in this way ... Couldn't they ?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 19:56:06 by VsH Tepec Fett »

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 19:53:00 »
Cool that you have in-game pictures of being there, but your links are a bit messed up, you need to take out 'url=http//" for them to work.

It is very likely that the sectors are supposed to be left alone, but with the glyph unlocking one room, who knows!

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 19:53:20 »
actually, lol, that was me that mentioned the mongoose trick... I also figured they were just unused rooms... still nice to explore though...
...this coffee sucks.

VsH Tepec Fett

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 20:00:54 »
actually, i mentionned that before you say it (page 9 of the thread), but i understand you didn't read it because of the lot of "flood" in this thread ! Don't believe that i want to steal you're discovery ... But friend of mine explained that method before you posted it on Bungie's ODST forums : Here, on September, 26th.
If you find something interesting by this way, tell us, because i'll make a little map where i'll locate every secret room i'll find, that could be the way to get in those locked districts !

Tepec

[Edit] And thanx thebraino, i've corrected pictures links ... And, if you want to see how those areas look like, i've more pics of them here and there (explainations are in French ... sorry)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 20:06:17 by VsH Tepec Fett »

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 20:08:39 »
oh! that would explain it! we just figured it out in different places...
Im not mad at all don't worry.
Your english is very good for using a translater.
...this coffee sucks.

VsH Tepec Fett

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 20:16:14 »
About Glyphs that unlock doors :

That's the greatest discovery on New Mombasa Streets at present, and i think it has to be verified : are you sure that because of it ? I mean : don't you think that the "control point" (that's how you say it ?) came because of the glyph, and not randomly ?
I really hope that's because of the glyph, and what we have to try if it's verified, is to look for another locked door like this "first one" with its own glyph, which could possibly allow us to go in a black district ... Maybe trough security doors with Kenji and me Mongooses  :D , that's a possibility to explore.

(I'm not using translaters (except for some particular words), translations of entire paragraphs are sometimes horrible !)

Tepec

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 20:22:59 »
for Halo 3, some guys called that the "Mythic Difficulty" , Bungie could have done something in this way ... Couldn't they ?
*sigh* yeah...but I really hope they didn't, lol.

As far as recon, I'm just waiting for a few local friends to set up an all-nighter. (It's a small city, and I have the best connection) Doing it over Live means it has to be at my place, lol.