Author Topic: Research Topics  (Read 2194 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Research Topics
« on: October 19, 2011, 19:38:10 »
The individual threads we have for skulls, achievements, levels, etc are meant to be a repository of mostly FACTS about those items.  

When we look back through these threads, we shouldn't have to page through tons of speculative posts, or conversations between members.  Sure, some theorizing will be required when we're actually trying to find these things in-game next month.  It may also be somewhat interesting to see the history of what we thought things would be like and what they actually turned out to be.  But-as much as possible- let's try to keep these threads focused on what we actually know.  

Speculation- when not based on any facts- isn't very valuable to us in the long run.  

That being said, Scat had a valid point (before I nuked the whole conversation) over in the Skulls area that IF there were BOBs in the new CE, then we'd need to check to see if Iron would affect them.  It's a pretty smart connection, and would be useful to BOB hunters.  But since we don't yet have any confirmation on BOBs in CE, it's a little soon to flag that as something we'd need to check when it launches.  

It's also potentially misleading to even use the term BOB in the context of CE.  We don't want to start any rumors.

This is an exciting time, and will only be getting more exciting as the release date draws nearer.  We will want to post more frequently and discuss our hopes and wishes and predictions- that's natural.  But we don't really need to document that permanently- at least not in the same place where we are documenting actual feature confirmations, discoveries, etc.

If you guys really feel that we need a "Theorizers" type board in here, then I can accommodate.  The floor is certainly open for discussion.  I'm trying to keep the SGP focused on what the SGP does best:  detailed research and presentation of facts.  Posts that matter.  I'm trying to KIC, people.  If you feel I'm being too militant about this, please let me know.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Research Topics
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 20:34:06 »
Are simple speculations about the new skulls also misleading/bad? They aren't very valuable in facts, and I know speculating things from practically nothing is kinda pointless, but I'm not saying them to be facts in any point, and they aren't really "waste of time" if consisting of one sentence. :P

I think Scat's point was good, but it was just in the wrong place...It didn't really waste resources (yet) either. Nor did he really claim anything to be true, so THAT situation wasn't so flammable for a rumour fire.

But you still have a point: Needless speculation is, well, needles. We should stay away from it, and use our time on important stuff. :P
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 22:27:31 »
I found Scat's point to be more Reach related than CEA and that is why I pointed out.

As far as skulls, I think we could make educated guesses as to what they may do considering our backgrounds with the Halo series. Maybe some of these skulls are similar to Halo wars skulls? perhaps the skull pictures hold the clue to what they do? What skulls are missing, maybe the new ones have similar properties? Do you think the (?) skull has something to do with the Kinect?

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 22:33:28 »
I have a question about the skull topics. Once we have the actual definition, will the thread be open for us to talk about the skull? Or will all the posts be deleted and the post being locked, with only a straight up definition in original post?

If we aren't supposed to speculate, it will be more of a database. And while I love databases, databases combined with speculations is how you find new things. CG documented his new way of finding BOBs, and using it, we found some new ones. If we don't speculate about the skulls, especially ones such as the "Unknown" skull, what are we going to get done?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 22:37:11 by Scatcycle »
I feel it

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 03:15:15 »
If we don't speculate about the skulls, especially ones such as the "Unknown" skull, what are we going to get done?

Speculation is fine, it just needs to be based on fact.  A supporting link and/or an attached image are helpful. 

You're correct that my "BOB Sauce" process resulted in new BOB finds.  But it wasn't speculation- it was factual reporting.  Every level I have played through where I didn't find a known BOB has turned out to be a level containing a new BOB.  Fact.  At least so far!

But again- speculation is fine.  Imppa's skull threads are good examples (although I would like to see attached images of the skulls in each  thread- I'll work on that.)  He cites a fact (skulls are shown in a 343 behind-the-scenes video) and then uses that fact to speculate on the unknown aspects of those skulls.

Your speculation about the Iron skull affecting BOBs in CE is almost like speculating if tigers will be hijackable.  Well...IF tigers are included in CE, then maybe they will be hijackable.  Banshees are, so why not tigers?  But we don't have confirmed tigers in CE.  And we don't have confirmed BOBs. 

I said "almost like" above because your point WILL be very relevant if BOBs (or other BOB-like entities) crop up in CE.  So it's not as random as, say, tigers.  Why don't we just add a new response in the Iron Skull thread to the effect of "IF BOB-like object spawns are found, does the Iron skull affect their spawning behavior?"

Then we can put this issue to rest.  (I hope!)
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::