Author Topic: The Official Lord Friendship's BOB Video Guide Thread  (Read 32961 times)

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
The Official Lord Friendship's BOB Video Guide Thread
« on: October 26, 2011, 14:03:00 »
My guide is an attempt to be thorough but still interesting.  Not only does the guide show where all the BOBs are, it shows strategies for taking down each one on Legendary.

Accompanying the guide itself will be videos in my File Share.  Each video will be a full run of the mission (starting from Mission Start and playing all the way through to the end of the level), on Legendary, with IWHBYD and GBP on, FFA scoring, while on Xbox LIVE, with no deaths, and I'll also read all DataPads in the level.  Some stuff (like the skulls, scoring) are probably not important, but I want to keep it consistent.  Note: Due to the impending shutdown of rendering services, this will not be available as of Video Guide Part 6.  However, if I have time, I will add this later.

BOB Video Guide Part 1 - What is a BOB? (YouTube)

BOB Video Guide Part 2 - Winter Contingency (YouTube)

Rendered Films:

BOB 01 - Game Stats
BOB 02 - Game Stats
BOB 03 - Game Stats
BOB 04 - Game Stats
BOB 05 - Game Stats
BOB 06 - Game Stats
BOB 07 - Game Stats

Full Run Videos in File Share (to save space, just one from each settlement):

BOB 01
BOB 04
BOB 06

BOB Video Guide Part 3 - ONI (YouTube)

Rendered Films:

BOB 08 Minor, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 09 Spec-Ops, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 10 Ranger, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 11 Ultra, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 12 Zealot, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 13 General, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 14 Field Marshall, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 15 Officer, Courtyard - Game stats
BOB 16 Minor, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 17 Spec-Ops, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 18 Ranger, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 19 Ultra, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 20 Zealot, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 21 General, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 22 Field Marshall, Atrium - Game stats
BOB 23 Officer, Atrium - Game stats

Full Run Videos (Hosting for most provided by Lawnmower172):

BOB 08 - Courtyard Minor (Also where I killed a human named BOB)
BOB 09 - Courtyard Spec-Ops
BOB 10 - Courtyard Ranger
BOB 11 - Courtyard Ultra
BOB 12 - Courtyard Zealot
BOB 13 - Courtyard General
BOB 14 - Courtyard Field Marshall
BOB 15 - Courtyard Officer
BOB 16 - Atrium Minor
BOB 17 - Atrium Spec-Ops
BOB 18 - Atrium Ranger
BOB 19 - Atrium Ultra
BOB 20 - Atrium Zealot
BOB 21 - Atrium General
BOB 22 - Atrium Field Marshall
BOB 23 - Atrium Officer

BOB Video Guide Part 4 - Nightfall (YouTube)

Rendered Films:

BOB 24 Bridge - Game stats
BOB 25 Waterfront - Game stats
BOB 26 Powerhouse - Game stats

Full Run Videos:

BOB 24
BOB 25
BOB 26

BOB Video Guide Part 5 - Tip of the Spear (YouTube)

Rendered Films:

BOB 27 - Game stats
BOB 28 (No Show) - Game stats
BOB 29 - Game stats
BOB 30 - Game stats
BOB 31 - Game stats

Full Run Videos:

BOB 27
BOB 28 (No Show)
BOB 29
BOB 30
BOB 31

Please note: Due to the impending shutdown of rendering services, all following links are only to rendered clips or YouTube videos.  No full-run no-death Legendary videos are available for these levels at this time.

BOB Video Guide Part 6: Long Night of Solace (YouTube)

BOB 32 - Beach BOB A
BOB 33 - Beach BOB B
BOB 34 - Beach BOB C
BOB 35 - Bridge BOB
BOB 36 - Hangar BOB

BOB Video Guide Part 7: Exodus (YouTube)

BOB 37 - Banshee BOB 1 - Flight Path - Game Stats
BOB 38 - Banshee BOB 2 - Flight Path - Game Stats
BOB 39 - Banshee BOB 3 - Flight Path - Game Stats

BOB Video Guide Part 8: New Alexandria (YouTube)

BOB 40 - Hospital BOBshee S - Flight Path
BOB 41 - Hospital BOBshee N - Flight Path
BOB 42 - Errerra BOBshee N - Flight Path
BOB 43 - Errerra BOBshee S - Flight Path

Note: Due to the repetitive nature of these BOBs, only one "wipe out" video will be available.

BOB Video Guide Part 9: The Package (YouTube)

BOB 44 - Courtyard BOB Redux (Unharmed)
BOB 45 - Emo BOB (Unharmed)
BOB 46 - Phantom BOB (Unharmed)

BOB Video Guide Part 10: The Pillar of Autumn (YouTube)

BOB 47 - Boneyard BOB (Unharmed) (Alt Method)
BOB 48 - Garage BOB (Unharmed)

BOB Video Guide Part 11: Lone Wolf (YouTube)

BOB 49 - LWL BOB (Unharmed)

Other stuff:

YouTube Channel
BOB Video Guide Thread on Bnet
BOB Video Guide Thread on Waypoint
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:06:48 by Lord Friendship »

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: The Official Lord Friendship's BOB Video Guide Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 20:40:07 »
Thank you for the post!

If you guys have anything to add to this, especially any official comment on BOBs from Bungie or 343, it would be greatly appreciated.  As it stands, this video is about 95% done and I could have it out the door by the end of the week.

Also, if you think the official definition is inaccurate, let me know.  I want the wording to be precise.  Also feel free to fact-check any of this.

I feel the definition should include "Born On Board", since that is what BOB actually stands for.

BS Angel hasn't really done anything regarding the "BOB Helmet" beyond what the rest of us have: acknowledge that some weird helmet exists in promotional images.  The lame "I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you" trope is probably nothing more than a corporate cop-out.  Whatever is up with that helmet (they were going to release it, but it got scrapped due to technical issues... it's slated for later release... we haven't found it yet), it seems the company line is that they can't talk about it.  And Bungie employees just hand the ball back to 343.

BOB Video Guide Part 2 - Winter Contingency

Filming is done for this one, I've got no-death Legendary runs for each of the seven BOBs and film clips for each kill.  I'm also going to talk about the invisible Spectre elite (Bill) at the beginning of the mission as a non-BOB.  Once I finish Part 1 I can have this ready in a few days, probably.

"Bill" was an ill-informed nickname given to that Spec Ops Elite by the Reach Secrets Group.  It was given with no basis, other than they apparently thought it was similar sounding to the name "BOB".  Naming something after a random English male name like "Bill" implies that the name "BOB" was likewise randomly attributed from a list of English male names, which is certainly not the case here.  As stated above: "Born On Board".  My personal opinion is that we should refrain from propagating that nickname.

BOB Video Guide Part 3 - ONI

I want to pop the mission designer for ONI in the mouth.  Not really, but there are 16 different spawn/armor combinations, and I want to be thorough, so... yeah, I have to beat this level 16 times on Legendary without dying, and each time kill a different BOB, which is random.  The good news is that I've only got 3 armor/spawn combinations left on this level.  The bad news is that this means there's a 3/16 chance that I'll get one of those combinations, and probably a 1/4 chance I'll actually beat the level without dying, so on any given run I have a 3/64 chance of success. :(

WOW!  That's dedication!  I'm more likely to pop the LNoS mission designer in the mouth for the Beach BOB issues.  Or pop whoever was responsible for Banshee BOBs not awarding Seek and Destroy medals in the mouth.  But mostly, I'm thankful that my investment in the game has kept my intermittent interest for over a year.  Entertainment money well spent.

BOB Video Guide Part 5 - Tip of the Spear

THIS one is where I need major help.  I'm about 80% sure that either there is some trick to the BOB spawns on this mission, or there's an undiscovered BOB.  I've done many runs of this level where no BOB appears.  If you guys want to run through this level a few times, see if the BOBs spawn where expected, it'd be appreciated.

I'll start saving full run-throughs of TotS.

I'm impressed by what I've found here, and I look forward to working together.

Thank you very much!  Your work has been equally as impressive, and we're honored to have you on board!
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 13:07:12 »
I feel the definition should include "Born On Board", since that is what BOB actually stands for.

I'm hesitant to include that term in an official Reach definition.  The only place they're actually called BOB is in the Bnet stats; the name doesn't really have anything to do with being born on board something.

BS Angel hasn't really done anything regarding the "BOB Helmet" beyond what the rest of us have: acknowledge that some weird helmet exists in promotional images.  The lame "I'd tell you but I'd have to kill you" trope is probably nothing more than a corporate cop-out.  Whatever is up with that helmet (they were going to release it, but it got scrapped due to technical issues... it's slated for later release... we haven't found it yet), it seems the company line is that they can't talk about it.  And Bungie employees just hand the ball back to 343.

True, but I do want to include the fact that bs angel at least acknowledged it; I do wish we had more official word, though.

"Bill" was an ill-informed nickname given to that Spec Ops Elite by the Reach Secrets Group.  It was given with no basis, other than they apparently thought it was similar sounding to the name "BOB".  Naming something after a random English male name like "Bill" implies that the name "BOB" was likewise randomly attributed from a list of English male names, which is certainly not the case here.  As stated above: "Born On Board".  My personal opinion is that we should refrain from propagating that nickname.

Alright, I won't call him Bill.  I guess he's just "the invisible Spec-Ops Elite that drops a Data Pad"?  In any case, I do explain in the video where the name BOB comes from.

WOW!  That's dedication!  I'm more likely to pop the LNoS mission designer in the mouth for the Beach BOB issues.  Or pop whoever was responsible for Banshee BOBs not awarding Seek and Destroy medals in the mouth.  But mostly, I'm thankful that my investment in the game has kept my intermittent interest for over a year.  Entertainment money well spent.

Agreed!  Whether or not the BOBs unlock treasured secrets, they do at least greatly increase the replay value of the game.  I've had a lot of fun tracking them down.  Except for the Lone Wolf BOB, I hate that guy.

I'll start saving full run-throughs of TotS.

Thanks!  If you can get anyone else to do the same, I'd appreciate it.  Since a lot of my run-throughs use skips (not approaching the first Tyrant gun, bypassing the BXR facility) I'm wondering if maybe the Spire BOBs only spawn if you load all the other enemies in the level.  Seems far-fetched though.  In any case, run-throughs that don't use skips are more valuable, and once I'm done with ONI and Nightfall I'll be saving the same.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 20:17:56 »
Alright, I won't call him Bill.  I guess he's just "the invisible Spec-Ops Elite that drops a Data Pad"?  In any case, I do explain in the video where the name BOB comes from.

LOL.  I get your point that any alternative will be longer than "Bill"- and I struggled to come up with a shorter description myself- so thanks for your support.  The "Data Pad Spec Ops" is probably sufficient, but since this is a thread about BOBs and not Data Pads, can we table this for another day?  ;)

Since a lot of my run-throughs use skips (not approaching the first Tyrant gun, bypassing the BXR facility) I'm wondering if maybe the Spire BOBs only spawn if you load all the other enemies in the level.  Seems far-fetched though.  In any case, run-throughs that don't use skips are more valuable, and once I'm done with ONI and Nightfall I'll be saving the same.

Do you care which difficulty?  I was going to just blast through on Easy a bunch of times.  I have yet to find any BOB spawn which doesn't appear on every difficulty.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:44:10 »
In my Fileshare, I have 3 videos of separate BoBs. The TotS one is the very first Bob on that level.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 05:19:58 by ColdGlider »
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 13:46:51 »
LOL.  I get your point that any alternative will be longer than "Bill"- and I struggled to come up with a shorter description myself- so thanks for your support.  The "Data Pad Spec Ops" is probably sufficient, but since this is a thread about BOBs and not Data Pads, can we table this for another day?  ;)

Sure!  But, I'm putting together this video guide soon.  I just won't specify a name for him aside from a non-BOB.  While we're on the topic, some kooks think that there's a Banshee BOB on this level; what they're referring to is one of the early Banshees that constantly boosts away once you pass some invisible trigger.  Would you want to take one down during the next "Golden Opportunity"?  Not easy, I know, you'd basically have to PP it then stick it.

Do you care which difficulty?  I was going to just blast through on Easy a bunch of times.  I have yet to find any BOB spawn which doesn't appear on every difficulty.

I don't care at all.  Easy is fine, and I agree that BOBs appear on every difficulty (so far). 

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 13:48:09 »
In my Fileshare, I have 3 videos of separate BoBs. The TotS one is the very first Bob on that level.

That's cool, but what would be really helpful is videos of TotS where it appears that no BOB spawns.  Then, if you can, go back and try to find one!  If not, put it in your file share and let me know.  The more attempts we get, and the more people search, the more likely we are to find it (if it even exists).

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 00:35:21 »
Welcome, Lord Friendship, your dedication is pretty obvious and I picture your work to be excellent by the way you write your posts!

I'd like to leave a few comments, though.
- Name BOB refers to Marathon friendlies that rogue AI instructed player to kill
Even though that's true, the way you wrote it (or, more correctly, the way I understood it) means that the Halo: Reach characters referenced to as Elite Rangers in the Enemies page of a player's Career Stats in Bungie.net are called BOBs and are so because there are characters in a game called Marathon with the same name.
As far as I know this hasn't been confirmed, which means that, in order to stay as accurate and factual as possible, you should NOT say in your guide that "BOB" means "Born On Board". It's okay to say that there are characters called BOBs in a whole different game and that, in the context of the same game, "BOB" means "Born On Board" AND, by chance, the player was instructed to kill every single one of them, which seems to also be the case with Halo: Reach's golden Elite Rangers.

I hope I was able to make myself be understood - I'm so tired I can barely formulate coherent thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure full-length videos are the best idea on a guide about BOBs. As a reader, I'd sure be more interested in multiple 10-15 second videos with each BOB (or a longer video for each Campaign Mission, I don't know...) rather than 30 minutes long videos.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I was working on a Covenant Ranks guide while working on my proposal for our website's design and layout before school started.
Since then I haven't had neither time or a fresh head to tackle such a huge task, so it's been dormant on the side.
If I recall correctly, though, I think I have a Shield Strength table for BOBs which you might be interested in (or not). If I do then it's in another computer, so I'll have to check.
I'll post it if I have it.

Keep it up! Now I'm going to bed - I even have classes on Saturdays!

PS: I guess it'd be a good idea to check how 343i describes BOBs on their B.net-equivalent stats tracker when it comes out?
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 16:41:52 »
Can anyone tell me where the known BOBs of ToTS are? I know of the first one, but no other ones. I need to know, otherwise, I might not see any BOBs just because I wasn't looking in the right place, and the film will be wasted.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 19:46:04 »
Welcome LF (you won't mind the nick do you?), it's good to have someone like you in our ranks! ;D

- Name BOB refers to Marathon friendlies that rogue AI instructed player to kill
Even though that's true, the way you wrote it (or, more correctly, the way I understood it) means that the Halo: Reach characters referenced to as Elite Rangers in the Enemies page of a player's Career Stats in Bungie.net are called BOBs and are so because there are characters in a game called Marathon with the same name.
As far as I know this hasn't been confirmed, which means that, in order to stay as accurate and factual as possible, you should NOT say in your guide that "BOB" means "Born On Board". It's okay to say that there are characters called BOBs in a whole different game and that, in the context of the same game, "BOB" means "Born On Board" AND, by chance, the player was instructed to kill every single one of them, which seems to also be the case with Halo: Reach's golden Elite Rangers.
Might want to clarify this, Pulse: is the problem the fact that the connection between Gold Rangers and Marathon BOBs is feeble, or is it even that the fact between Gold Rangers and the name "BOB" is feeble itself?

It is true that there have not been any official reports of the name actually being BOB: while Achronos did use the name in his reply to the rumors, he might've mentioned it just because others did. he didn't mention "BOB" in the reply about Light Vehicles, he calls them Gold Elites.
It might be good to mention this, for science. :)

Can anyone tell me where the known BOBs of ToTS are? I know of the first one, but no other ones. I need to know, otherwise, I might not see any BOBs just because I wasn't looking in the right place, and the film will be wasted.
According to HRS/Bnet member "bjb yo",
There is an agressive BoB with a Fuel Rod right after crashing your Falcon into the sheild around the Spire. This BoB has many spawns around (and maybe even in) the Spire, but he always seems to make a run for the Spire at some point, making him even harder to kill in time.
Spire BoB #1
Spire BoB #2
Spire BoB #3
(Yay for the preciceness!)

If you have no luck finding it, post the whole video here. Otherwise, post the clip ASAP. ;)
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 20:01:20 »
Might want to clarify this, Pulse: is the problem the fact that the connection between Gold Rangers and Marathon BOBs is feeble, or is it even that the fact between Gold Rangers and the name "BOB" is feeble itself?
What I meant was that saying that the meaning of "BOB" (the Halo: Reach characters) is "Born On Board" should be avoided because there is absolutely no evidence that this is the case.
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 21:05:22 »
Almost positive that the QTA XII VI Marine is a BOB.

Monx and I were doing a ToTS run, and we found a BOB on the first hill. Not anything worth noting. I went AFK due to unforeseen consequences. I then come back maybe a half hour later, and we do one trickjump and then restart the level. In Co-op, restarting the level resets all probabilty of the different BOB spawns.

We go through the level again. Nothing. No BOBs anywhere. This means there was a hidden one, one we had to find. I went into theater and looked EVERYWHERE. There was not a single one, anywhere. Then I noticed a marine, dropped off in a group of his bretheren from a Pelican, had the QTA engraved into his side kit. This is the Bob that spawned. There was nothing else, no Boosting Banshees or anything. I have a film of this marine BOB.

Ways to prove that this is a BOB are:
1: Play through, make sure the first documented BOB spawns on the hill, then check if the marine with QTA shows up.
2: Kill him when the Golden Opportunity Challenge comes up.

Here is the entire film. Keep in mind that I went AFK, so the first 45 minutes or so are unimportant. When the level restarts, you can try and search for this BOB. But I'm 99.9% sure there isn't one. Except for the marine.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 21:12:57 »
Almost positive that the QTA XII VI Marine is a BOB.
This is either
a) Lies more grave than The Cake
or
b) Something utterly awesome, something that could make us look GOOD. (Also Scat, you would be my hero.)
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 21:31:15 »
Well, the QTA guy spawned even though I kill the first BOB. That's a letdown...

Anyways, there should be a BOB hanging around in that film clip. I couldn't find him, maybe you guys can.
I feel it

Lord Friendship

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 13:49:07 »
Well, the QTA guy spawned even though I kill the first BOB. That's a letdown...

Anyways, there should be a BOB hanging around in that film clip. I couldn't find him, maybe you guys can.

Did all the enemies spawn in the level?  It's possible, at several points in this level, to proceed without spawning certain groups of enemies.  Did you use any skips of any sort?