Author Topic: It's a game. And I know exactly how to play it.  (Read 3624 times)

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
It's a game. And I know exactly how to play it.
« on: November 19, 2011, 17:38:11 »
A while ago, in a thread about the squidhenge, I talked about how Engineers would pace back and forth in a set path if you stand on the highest stone in the squidhenge. I didn't think much of it.

Now I realize, it's a game. It's this. Now I know that image may look a bit complicated. Once you get to know it, it's not. Every stone faces one wall. If you stand on a stone, the Engineers will travel on the path that it's facing. Along the wall you're looking at. The smallest stone, the one you grenade jump onto, is facing a corner. This is also a corner where Engineers can switch walls. If you stand on this stone, the engineers will go and sit into the corner behind the Mono Sad stone, and then stay in that general area.

Using quick jumping, you can make the Engineers go in a triangle. I repeated this at least 4 times, and even made travel the opposite way.
So basically, jump on a stone, and whatever wall it's facing, the engineers will travel along it.

We know  how to play this game, but how do we win it?
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Re: It's a game. And I know exactly how to play it.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 21:02:04 »
It may just be the way you drew the lines, but it seems possible to force the engineers to make the shape of a Y glyph. Possibly do that, then stand on the shortest column?
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 21:07:38 »
It may just be the way you drew the lines, but it seems possible to force the engineers to make the shape of a Y glyph. Possibly do that, then stand on the shortest column?
Note that the engineers can only travel on the outer lines. There is a set triangle they can pace on. I don't think you can make a Y glyph with a triangle, but if you can, show me how. I have seen an engineer cut through the inside of the triangle to get to another target. I don't know why it did that. I was jumping around, but the engineers only move in whichever direction you're facing once they've reached their first destination.
I feel it

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 22:36:19 »
I tried it on Easy. I did notice some cooperation, but not enough to be able to say that my actions determined their paths.
Maybe I was doing it wrong.
I am tree.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 02:07:42 »
Sorry for being vague, I meant more of a 'parts of the glyph'... Time for another confusing description, Nightcrafter style! I will be referring to Scat's image for directions and such. First you would have the engineer go down, then back up the red path, making the vertical part of the glyph. Second, have it go up, then down the blue path, making the right arm.. Thirdly, up then down the green path making the left arm. Then possibly have it chill in the yellow area, like the sad mono glyph.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 23:03:46 by nightcrafter27 »

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 02:38:08 »
Sorry for being vauge, I meant more of a 'parts of the glyph'... Time for another cinfusing description, Nightcrafter style! I will be refering to Scat's image for directions and such. First you would have the engineer go down, then back up the red path, making the vertical part of the glyph. Second, have it go up, then down the blue path, making the right arm.. Thirdly, up then down the green path making the left arm. Then possibly have it chill in the yellow area, like the sad mono glyph.
Pulse, I don't know what the problem was. Make sure you have completed your jump before they reach the destination. If they are just staring at you, shoot them once. Sometimes one engineer will just sit there, and not know what to do. I can consistently create their paths and they will always listen.

And Night, an Engineer cannot travel from inbetween Blue and Red to green. Actually, it might be able to. I may not have tested that.

And anyway, that would be a triangle? If I'm correct, you said they would go down and up red, up and down blue, up and down green. That's a triangle. What we could do is this: Start at yellow. Go Up and down blue. Go up and down green. Stand on the smallest stone to make them go to yellow. That would make a Y glyph with a short and stubby end.
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 03:28:52 »
Sorry for being vauge, I meant more of a 'parts of the glyph'... Time for another cinfusing description, Nightcrafter style! I will be refering to Scat's image for directions and such. First you would have the engineer go down, then back up the red path, making the vertical part of the glyph. Second, have it go up, then down the blue path, making the right arm.. Thirdly, up then down the green path making the left arm. Then possibly have it chill in the yellow area, like the sad mono glyph.

And Night, an Engineer cannot travel from inbetween Blue and Red to green. Actually, it might be able to. I may not have tested that.

Well, this is the theorizers board, after all.

Another crazy thought: there are four options, and four dots per column on the J banners.

Insane Monx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 17:12:02 »
Holy crap, so apparently there is a pattern to them  :o

This is really interesting, I'm definitely going to tinker around with this when I get the chance, and hopefully I don't have the same results as Pulse. Maybe this is something that spans the whole width of New Mombasa itself, and there may be a pattern for each Engineer courtyard. I'm running full of theories right now about them, but I'll have to explore myself.

P.S. Halo 3 IWHBYD Ring Jumping, anyone?
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare