Author Topic: Destiny at E3 2013  (Read 3888 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Destiny at E3 2013
« on: June 10, 2013, 10:25:37 »
The 2013 E3 Destiny Reveal is Upon Us!

It's mere hours away!  You can follow Bungie's Destiny reveal over at their site by using the following link:
https://www.bungie.net/7_Destination-E3/en-us/News/News?aid=10565

In the US, television viewers with access to Spike TV can also get in on the coverage.

And if you haven't already pimped out your PC, you can get 40 different wallpapers over here.  The art is gorgeous!

::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Destiny at E3 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 03:44:51 »
SPECTACULAR!

Truly. They really delivered what they promised. I can't enough praise that lighting, it was simply gorgeous. The REAL gameplay (where the player actually doesn't know the terrain or where to look at) might always be a bit different, but I don't think we have much to worry there: it looked SO good, played SO well, and worked SO good in every way I could think of that they can't go THAT much wrong. And think about it! Roughly a year's time for even more development!

Was it worth to stay up till 6 am GMT+3?

To put it simply,
Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, and YES.

Good night! :)
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 04:23:38 »
I was very, very impressed.  It's a beautiful looking world.

When I was very young, I was given the "Terran Trade Authority" books by Stewart Cowley.  I spent hours flipping through them and looking at all of the spectacular ships... mystified by the illustrated "spacewrecks" like these:

I do believe I read (or heard) once that Jason Jones had these books.  Maybe in a Staten interview on the old podcasts.  If so, perhaps the opening cinematic (shown during this Sony E3 presentation) was a reference to the images above (skeleton in an old wrecked car sitting in a field vs. skeleton in an old wrecked spacecraft sitting in a field).   The design of the ships and buildings in the Destiny world really reminds me of the artwork from these books.

Imppa, it was really cool watching that whole two-hour presentation with you over XBL Party Chat!  Scatters- totally cool that you dropped in as well.  It's already a fond memory!

P.S. Bungie has already made a new post about the reveal which includes links to a multimedia gallery of screenshots from the gameplay.

Aforementioned skeleton in car from today's E3 Trailer:

...and another great shot from the trailer
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 05:25:17 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 12:03:10 »
I do believe I read (or heard) once that Jason Jones had these books.  Maybe in a Staten interview on the old podcasts.  If so, perhaps the opening cinematic (shown during this Sony E3 presentation) was a reference to the images above (skeleton in an old wrecked car sitting in a field vs. skeleton in an old wrecked spacecraft sitting in a field).   The design of the ships and buildings in the Destiny world really reminds me of the artwork from these books.

The artworks really do look similar! Impressive, well noticed! :)

Imppa, it was really cool watching that whole two-hour presentation with you over XBL Party Chat!  Scatters- totally cool that you dropped in as well.  It's already a fond memory!

If my XBox wouldn't have turned itself of RIGHT before the Desitny gameplay...I actually missed a second or two of the beginning of the gameplay, as I was swapping and smashing my VGA cables. Either way, it was fun, thanks! :D

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 16:06:58 »
What most impressed me (the lighting was a close second!) was the event. I'm not entirely sure I know exactly what it was, but to me it looks like, if a bunch of people are playing alone or with their friends while connected to xbox live, and they are near the same area, there's a chance for the event to start. Then all players are connected into one game with what seemed like lossless transistion, and a huge boss spawns somewhere. Everyone near the area swarms in to this one spot, creating a constant reinforcements effect. If they actually manage to pull it off while having the transition lossless, it would be truly amazing.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:45:06 by ColdGlider »
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 20:19:29 »
What most impressed me (the lighting was a close second!) was the event. I'm not entirely sure I know exactly what it was, but to me it looks like, if a bunch of people are playing alone or with their friends while connected to xbox life, and they are near the same area, there's a chance for the event to start. Then all players are connected into one game with what seemed like lossless transistion, and a huge boss spawns somewhere. Everyone near the area swarms in to this one spot, creating a constant reinforcements effect. If they actually manage to pull it off while having the transition lossless, it would be truly amazing.

I actually showed the gameplay part to my friends today, and after re-watching it and trying to explain why it's so cool, I have to agree with you, Scat: the strongest aspect truly is that incredible way of bringing people together seamlessly for epic fights! If the transition is truly as good as Bungie says (and as we were shown) then truly we should expect to get something extraordinary next year!

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 00:00:49 »
Oh, did anyone notice the ammo count in his SMG? Obviously it is a superior weapon :P
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!