Destiny > Destiny Pre-Release Discussion

Third-Person Community Spaces?

(1/3) > >>

ColdGlider:
I am looking forward to more elaboration on the feature "...third-person community spaces where you can repair and rearm before going out on your next adventure."

(From this slideshow on Bungie.net)

Image:

Does this mean that the real-life community of fans will somehow be able to set up shop and sell their wares?  Does this mean with in-game currency or will the community be allowed to market their own content in-game via micro-transactions?

Because, well... that would be awesome.  And would take the whole forgehub thingy to a whole new level.

Or is all of that just fancy copy for "there will be NPCs selling you things?"

Imppa:
There's been some higl-level discussion of this matter in Bnet, about in-game currency and it's inflation and such. I can't remember which was better in comparison, but Player-managed stores would surely be much more fun! I don't know if it'll be anything more than just people standing around and shouting "Buy cowhides" :D People having their own stalls and stuff would be SUPER awesome, though! Too bad we still have no idea how does Bungie do then networking in Destiny, so it's bit too early to speculate what can be done and what can't.

However, seeing how Destiny's strength is the interaction between people, it would be weird NOT to have any kind of trading system between people.  But own stores? Time will tell, I suppose.

nightcrafter27:
I had a discussion with some friends a while ago about something like this. We came to the conclusion that since Bungie claims to want to keep the story in Destiny alive for the next ten years, it would be impractical for them to write those stories/events themselves. The only thing that made sense to use is if players can join the factions (Dead Orbit, Seven Seraphs and FWC, off the top of my head) and infight. That would explain why Bungie registered those web domains a while ago, to give players a "home base".
It would make sesn if there was some kind of market system built into the faction system, and that may be what is alluded to here.

Scatcycle:

--- Quote from: nightcrafter27 on June 11, 2013, 14:02:07 ---I had a discussion with some friends a while ago about something like this. We came to the conclusion that since Bungie claims to want to keep the story in Destiny alive for the next ten years, it would be impractical for them to write those stories/events themselves. The only thing that made sense to use is if players can join the factions (Dead Orbit, Seven Seraphs and FWC, off the top of my head) and infight. That would explain why Bungie registered those web domains a while ago, to give players a "home base".
It would make sesn if there was some kind of market system built into the faction system, and that may be what is alluded to here.

--- End quote ---
They want to keep the story going for 10 years? That could mean that there will be occasional "event" situation which are basically and added campaign mission. Possibly being something like a bunch of players are brought into one server (or however it works) if they are near each other, and an all out war starts between two or three factions, with ships and all. It possibly even lasts all day, so that people don't miss it. Imagine hearing "hey dude, there's the Seven Seraphs vs FWC war going on in Destiny! It's been going on for four hours! Let's go try to win it!" from a friend. That would be just fantastic.

But I'm probably just fantasizing too much about something that isn't likely to happen.

Imppa:

--- Quote from: Scatcycle on June 11, 2013, 16:14:42 ---They want to keep the story going for 10 years?
--- End quote ---

That's what I think I've heard, too. Or at least that the game will be hot stuff for the next 10 years or so.

--- Quote --- That could mean that there will be occasional "event" situation which are basically and added campaign mission. Possibly being something like a bunch of players are brought into one server (or however it works) if they are near each other, and an all out war starts between two or three factions, with ships and all. It possibly even lasts all day, so that people don't miss it. Imagine hearing "hey dude, there's the Seven Seraphs vs FWC war going on in Destiny! It's been going on for four hours! Let's go try to win it!" from a friend. That would be just fantastic.

But I'm probably just fantasizing too much about something that isn't likely to happen.

--- End quote ---
Well, maybe things of that scale are a bit over the top, but maybe not! I myself do also believe that factions will be a great spice-up for the game, especially after the game has been running for some years. I've seen how people reacted to factions when they were "released" for the first time, and it looked really fun. Even though you didn't know anything concrete of a faction, people made stuff up and the others played along. While role-playing might be a bit childish for many "mature" gamers, I do think it will work out great.

If it's someone who can pull this off, it's Bungie. I think. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version