Author Topic: Ingame number/coding EE hint systems  (Read 6861 times)

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Re: Ingame number/coding EE hint systems
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:19 »
Sometimes I imagine that Sadie would look like this http://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahandsean/sets/72157607411033667/
So you're telling me that Bungie is using some code reference system made by Stanford, creating links between Halo and some guy's youtube channel that's dedicated to posting live performances, manifesting easter eggs into some guys windy video, and ultimately posting pictures of someone who looks like Sadie?

First off, what makes you think that's what Sadie would look like? I don't think there are ever any references to her appearance. You can't compare someone to a imageless character just because they share the same race.

Also let's be realistic, Cyborgs Never Die isn't even Halo related. If I remember correctly, it was something like "Cyborgs First, etc" as a cutscene narration after you meet Keyes. I think you're pulling things way out of context here, especially since some of the dates of these "hints" are just really far from ODST's release date. This is all speculation, none of it can actually be confirmed as any sort of ARG. I believe all the past ARGs were at one point or another confirmed as being related to Bungie with each ARG's respective evidence.
I feel it

Atarigen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 06:07:44 »
Also, you mention a Cortana chip being found in ODST. Can you describe where this is so others can find it?

Sorry for that I did mean to describe NER 1204, but missed the mark.

My discovery of NER started in the Halo Bulletin: 2.6.13 in which cryptic Easter egg hints were provided to the Waypoint community by H4 level designers. Hence starting a great H4 EE hunt. What I ask you to notice the images drawn on the bulletin white board. These are also EE hints offered in different style. During my very fruitful H4 EE experience I actually learned how all these images were relevant to the hunt. The use of a whiteboard and colored expo markers is also critical to understanding Bungie's connection to the NER search tool. While experimenting I learned these hints were consistent with a marketing techniques Jason Jones's post reach advertising project. The image of the cooking Spartan I call Master chef is relevant to my learned understanding of NER 1204.

As in many Halo games there are numbers/codes found in numerous locations in H4. Some numbers are familiar to experienced Halo fans while others are less understood. I learned that sometimes less understood numbers, and codes are not just window dressing which is the case with NER 1204. NER 1204 appears frequently in Halo 4 with a few variations. As an avid hunter it gives me great joy to know that Bungie, and 343 game developers have taken the time to place intelligent enigmas to challenge the mind of a would be challenger.

I was convinced that there was something unfinished in the Halo 4 campaign forerunner specimen room on the level Composer. In the specimen room NER 1204 appears near the center glass of floor in front the specimen lattice. This glass catwalk in that area is represented in the bulletin whiteboard by the Master Chef's spoon. The central theater is represented by the  Master Chefs pot. The red noodles represent the paint on the subflooring doors. The Red, Blue, Green seasonings season represent light changes that take place to objects placed at certain locations in the(pot) circular floor before the Specimen Lattice. When I understood the imagery I knew where to find a major egg. I learned that by moving available white boxes to the central floor they would change color most significantly to Blue or Green. These colors are also both represented on the bulletin white board.

A friend helper FitsHisFace posted a different variation of NER 1204 from the Composer hanger bay. I had already been experiment with NER web searches, but seeing the NER variation made everything click. I then changed my search to ] ER 1204[/url] and found the Flicker photo stream containing more hints for the Composer EE. Since I have found repeated instances of hints stored on Flicker. The photos in the stream are directions for object placement to complete the egg. Bride and groom are Spartans. Table location is a diagram for object placement during the egg. This pattern is also shown on the NER 1204 image variation. These boxes are white and 1 green crate/lid are placed in the central floor and positioned to change to their proper color represented by the tables flower bouquet color. This image represents 1 hunter, and it's position outside the central floor. This image represents the Lattice system and additional information concerning object placement, and a target on the Lattice. The box of cakes represents crate/ crate lid placement in front of the left Lattice. The green whine bottle shows targeting placement for a hunters plasma round. Box placement prevents the hunter from entering the central floor and keeps it in the correct location to be able to strike the upper left tube on the right Lattice. In order to get the hunter to shoot the correct target  team work is required. One Spartan offers themselves as a target to draw the Hunters fire to the proper target. This was where I had problems for Egg completion. Drawing the plasma to it's target requires timing, and good jump skills. I am simply not as good a jumper as I was when ODST came out. LOL This takes repeated attempts to get right. Sometimes plasma rounds strike boxes wrecking box placement. Helpers must then distract the hunter while the box placement is corrected. This has been the failing point for egg completion. Eager Spartans lose focus for distracting the hunter, then returning his attention to the Spartan drawing the plasma round  to the Lattice target. Directing these changes in attention of the Hunter from targeting the lattice to following a helper so boxes can be returned to proper location can be done smoothly if done properly. In order to change the Hunters focus correctly  the target Spartan must get his attention. This his most easily done by firing a single round at the Hunter at the same time the distracting Spartan must hide himself so not to accidentally draw his Focus from Lattice targeting. The process of repeated focus change for the hunter is bullet damage from repeated distracting causing the Hunters death which fails the attempt. 1 Hunter is required to complete the egg and the second hunter is killed early to protect box placement setups. This hunter set up is affirmed  after the first hunter is killed because writing on the Lattice floor flickers after one hunter is killed, then stops when the second is killed.

I have not yet been able to complete the egg simply because people lose focus when dealing with the hunter which eventually leads to it's death. However I failed to recognize the visual affirmation that the Lattice target was hit properly at least once. One of the specimen tube terminals that give information on the Forerunner specimen is empty, and dark. This darkened tube lights up when the target his hit by the Hunter. This is affirmed by a picture in the photo stream where a flower vase that was dark becomes lights up. I missed this change in an attempts when I noticed this change, however I also think it failed because of a death with the iron skull on. I do not know what happens after properly activating the tube. I do not know what the final egg is from ER 1204 hints. So we will have to wait a while longer.

If someone completes it before I am done with my ODST activity I would be just fine with it. I have at least 1 switch activated first find EE to my credit. I would be happy to know that another Spartan might feel the same great satisfaction that I did when I found a legit switch egg in H4. I consider that as my hunter career high point. So there is still room for doubt as the egg is not done, but please feel free to try NER experiments by using several prefix combinations before a curious halo number that has your attention in a web search.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 03:46:21 by Scatcycle »

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:28 »
That's quite a post! You might want to check if all the links are in order, as at least one seems to be missing.

But good, alright. Now we know where the NR 1204 comes from. I must admit, finding human letters and numbers on a Forerunner structure is quite interesting. And seeing that a set of numbers and letters similar to the one on the forerunner floor can be found on unrelated human structures DOES hint that there's something going on (on the second image, note how, if read from top to bottom, the note spells "NER"). Hmm.

However. Proving a system of finding easter eggs, specifically by googling NR, NER, ER or some other combination of letters with a string of numbers is still quite far away.

Atari, even if the room you described could be seen to be the same as Master Chef's soup, I am sure there are several other places the soup could refer to. The only reason you see that the room is connected to the drawing on billboard is because NER 1204 is there, and you think that NER means that there MUST be an EE. Without NER, Master Chef would be just a random drawing, which it ultimately is: you only see it important because you WANT to see it so, I'm afraid. Same goes with the wedding photos: for example, I have truly hard time seeing a reference to a hunter anywhere there (actually, the one photo is there twice in a row; is it meant to be so?), and the case is the same with the wine bottle. :/ If you can't soundly point out the connection, then I am afraid that there is no connection. That is the SGP way.

I know you want to find Eggs, and I know you're good at it: nevertheless I don't think that NER is a tool of finding them. If the hunter shooting the pipe actually turns out to be an easter egg, I will surely reconsider. Now, however, there is no proof. And anything is nothing without proof.

I want you to really think of this: could it be that what you believe in is not actually the truth?

Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Atarigen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 13:38:47 »
  I do understand that my theory is highly suggestive, and yet unconfirmed by scientific method . I do desire support for my theory here from experts I know as mentors, and understand that I am not the one that needs convincing. I also understand standards for reporting egg finds are set by those who make them, and by the nature of their industry are bound to upholding high standard themselves. Incomplete, or unproven reporting is considered bad form by those with such standards. My reporting often falls into the bad form category using a quality litmus test as I often do not report all the facts. At times this is intentional as many of my posts are meant to spark curiosity in those who have interest. This is done so the hunter will have enough information to go and have a look for themselves. I will not do all of the work for you, but would love to share the find as a community. I will limit my reporting to the complete facts of fully completed finds here from now on.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 13:41:03 by Atarigen »

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 15:03:45 »
At times this is intentional as many of my posts are meant to spark curiosity in those who have interest. This is done so the hunter will have enough information to go and have a look for themselves.

I see where you're coming from with this, yeah. I do agree that there's a point into that, letting people to find them themselves. For example, the puppet you once posted still intriques me, maybe even more because you didn't tell the location of it. Sometimes, especially if were talking about spmething Big, I suppose clear directions might be good.

And don't get me wrong man, I didn't mean you can share your theories and ideas, nono! That was not the point. I don't think it would be a very cool community if all the posts were just "Alrigth, I analyzed this stuff for half a year by myself, look what I got". That's no fun. You're a cool guy, and we want you here among us :)

What WAS the point was that anyone and everyone, after thinking about something long and hard enough, can easily come into funny conclusions. EVERYONE starts with some idea that turns out to be pretty much nothing (for CG it was the "Unlocking Secret Areas", that later turned out to be the Bump Glitch, for me, a totally failed but really serious attempt to decode a minor canadian ODST ARG), and believe me, most of the ideas anyone ever has turn out to be nothing. Accepting that sometimes you miss is important.

Being a researcher or a labcoaty hunter is not easy, and while being able to separate the good ideas from the other stuff is not a must-have, it's something that really eases up the process. But as said, you can never be too sure when it's just your own mind with it's own viewpoint to the matter, and getting a second opinion never hurts. That's why I don't want you to stop theorizing openly and only post complete stuff, on the contrary you should keep posting, get other's opinions and develop your own viewpoints trough that (That's what this forum is all about: getting together and sharing ideas). I just want you to see what I already noted: sometimes your thinking too far off.

I know you'd want support to your theory, but because the labcoats are on, and because I want to support you yourself, I must say: it doesn't work. Not as it is.

Having said that, you are on to something with NER 1204. Maybe not a system for easter eggs, but an egg by itself. Or something bigger. Who knows? If there were more of these similar codes to be found, maybe a connection could be formed among them...Of course, they CAN be a system after all. Who knows. See if you can find it.

Also, don't call us mentors, I'm blushing here. .P
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 16:06:50 »

I will limit my reporting to the complete facts of fully completed finds here from now on.

Thank you for your objective self-assessment!  It is crucial that "theories" are clearly separated from facts.  It is also important to separate the "what" from the "why".

In the context of searching for new "secrets" or "easter eggs", there is nothing more egregious than making factual statements that are not based in fact. 

For example: "Bride and groom are Spartans."  There is nothing supporting this.  It's a wedding album on Flickr.  At the very least, you need to qualify statements like this as your personal theories or postulations.  For example: "Perhaps the bride and groom represent spartans."  This little change in wording is the difference between stating something as a possibility and stating something as fact.  You really have to be careful when you state something as fact (i.e. this thing IS this other thing) because if you can't prove it, people may interpret that statement as a lie.  If you recast your statement as "I believe this thing may represent this other thing" then at least you are not "lying"- even if you are wrong!

Now I certainly don't feel that you are lying and I don't believe that you mean for your assessments to be interpreted as lies.  In my humble opinion, you just need to be a little more careful about how you present your ideas.  You seem to have a great enthusiasm for finding secrets, which is wonderful!  I just have a sinking feeling that you may be misdirecting that energy by not being more discerning about how you make connections.

For example:
I did a search for "ER" on Flickr and I got this bear.  If I am inclined to find a way to make this photo mean something to Halo fans, I might make these possible connections:
  • The brutes are (sometimes) furry humanoids.  The bear is a furry humanoid.  I think the bear represents a brute!
  • The bear is waving.  Your player in Destiny can wave to other players.  I think the bear is acknowledging other players!  Aka us!
  • The Epcot Center in the background is a big sphere.  The Traveler from Bungie's upcoming Destiny game is a big sphere.  I think the Epcot Center represents The Traveler!
  • The Epcot Center is not too far in the distance.  Destiny will be released in the not-too-distant future.  I think this is a reference to the impending release of Destiny!
From these "connections" I could conclude:   I believe the image represents Bungie calling on game players to say farewell to Halo as they move toward the future of Destiny!

Obviously, none of this is true.  Not only do I lack justifiable reasons for associating a furry bear costume with a brute, I lack any tangible result in Halo as a product of making these associations.  In other words:  It's Just A Bear. (IJAB!)

Likewise, I Googled "Atarigen" and found this gentleman playing the Super Mario Bros theme on piano.  Should I conclude that you are that gentleman?  Or did I just get this search result because the page contains a reference to the website "www.atari.gen.tr/"

Occam's Razor will not always be true, but it's a great guideline.

When something unexplainable actually happens either in-game or in real life, we consider it a "phenomenon".  Scatcycle discovered such a phenomenon in ODST which we dubbed "Zombielites".  There were many theories bandied about regarding "what this meant".  We were hopeful that there might be some cool secret in ODST involving an Elite standing up and coming to life, perhaps being "repaired" by a Huragok.  We though there might be some merit to this, since there is apparently some code which is making these guys stand up.

Nope.

To date, it's a cool little phenomenon that you can try and test yourself.  It's a proven phenomenon.  It may possibly be a "glitch".  By itself, it is not an "easter egg".  In my opinion, the first criteria for a phenomenon to be considered an easter egg is that it must be hidden.  Easy enough.   I posit that the second criteria for a phenomenon to be considered an easter egg is that it must have been intentionally placed

There is nothing supporting the notion that the Zombielite behavior was intentional.  I believe the simplest explanation is that the physics engine is affecting an object that would normally be blown across the map, but was coded to stay in a generally fixed location- resulting somehow in a little of both.  No clear intention.  Ergo, it's not an easter egg. 

On the other hand, the morse code in Data Hive discovered by Sep7ember is an easter egg.  It was clearly placed intentionally:  the morse code needed to be recorded by the audio team and placed in the level.  Furthermore, when you decode it (per a standard convention: morse code), the results are long-standing references to Bungie lore.  It was hidden.  There is a clear demonstration of intention; furthermore, the results indicate a clear association with Bungie/Halo.  Ergo, it's an easter egg.

As far as NER 1204 goes, I have not yet devoted any time researching this Halo 4 phenomenon other than to read your posts.  The barricade texture contains the following text:

N.R.- 0709
E R - 1204
R R - 1015

The first thing that stands out to me is that it looks like a list of initials for people and their birthdays (July 9, December 04, October 15).  I'd go down that simple path a lot sooner than I'd look at table placement in a random wedding photo on Flickr!

Thanks for joining, and thanks in advance for your continued enthusiasm and willingness to share ideas with the community.  I hope we can have a positive affect on your Halo exploration!

::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::