Author Topic: sign post locations  (Read 9152 times)

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Re: sign post locations
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 00:13:16 »
I wonder if this behavior continues when in split screen or if it stops, kind of like how glyphs aren't visible. This also reminds me of the barricades with the changing numbers.
Wait, glyphs aren't visible in split screen? Well that would explain all the weird anomalies I've noticed while playing with friends...
I feel it

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 03:06:38 »
Leave the district and deload it.
After the Districts deloaded head back to the district with the sign you want to see changed

When you mentioned your "District Loop" was causing signs to change, I suspected this was the cause. 

Set the Wayback Machine to October 2009.  During my lengthy hypothesis and proof of "Bump Glitching", I concocted a lot of jargon to explain observed game behavior.  The Halo hacking/modding community will no doubt be fluent in the proper terms for these constructs and operations, but nevertheless the behavior is there.  Below is the relevant part to our current topic, already sussed out by CIA.  For our purposes, a BSP can be thought of as the data which defines the geometry for a "district".  Textures are stored (and applied) separately.

The game engine keeps two BSPs loaded at a time into two separate BSP Memory Areas (BMAs).  I call these the "Current BMA" (or "cBMA") and the "Adjacent BMA" (or "aBMA").  When you request a third district to load, the BSP data for that third district is loaded into the Adjacent BMA, replacing whatever BSP was loaded in there previously.  When you enter the new district, you effectively swap the BMA assignments as the Adjacent BMA becomes the Current BMA and vice versa.

In other words, you have two memory "buckets".  Only two districts can be loaded at a time.  Here is what happens as you move around Mombasa Streets from the starting point in D05:

Step   Action                    cBMA    aBMA       Notes
1Start in D05D05(empty)only one memory area loaded
2Move down to D08D08D05both memory areas loaded
3Move over to D06D06D08D05 unloads to make room for D06
4Move over to D10D10D06D08 unloads to make room for D10
5Move up to D04D04D10D06 unloads to make room for D04
6Move down to D06D06D04D10 unloads to make room for D06
7Move over to D10D10D06D04 unloads to make room for D10
8Move up to D04D04D10D06 unloads to make room for D04
9Move down to D06D06D04D10 unloads to make room for D06

Whenever you are about to enter a new district, the game checks to see if it has that district loaded into one of the two memory areas. If so, you don't get a loading message and can walk right in.  If not, you get the loading message and have to wait.

What I am curious about now is how the memory areas are affected once you do a flashback mission and return to the streets.  Hmmm.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Jedichef

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 11:26:42 »
Would it be an idea to form a new gallery section and try to log all of the different sign posts as there are lots of images not in there??

really want to find this -

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 15:10:56 »
Would it be an idea to form a new gallery section and try to log all of the different sign posts as there are lots of images not in there??

really want to find this -

Hmm. Actually, now that I think about it, I've seen this ad before..but not in the game, no. IF I recall right, it might've even been one of those now Bungie Weekly Updates that legends tell of where this ad was shown...and that here was also mentioned that this sing isn't actually on the disc.

Not a very labcoaty statement, but, still..It feels weird to remember something like that, but I think I really do!

Also, my awesome memory tells me also that I've not seen this ad in-game. So, look around if you want, but I feel like it's nowhere to be found. :/ But I might be wrong!

Quote from: CIA391 link=topic=1821.msg12342#msg12342

What I am saying is. Signs are not limited to one thing, they can be anything in the games coding relating to the type of sign it is.

But they can't be COMPLETELY random? Can they?
I mean, I remember always after popping out of the pod and killing everyone coming back to one of these big ads that looked really omnious to me, witj the big M and a name I can't remember (funny thing, the memory). And I THINK it was always there. When I STARTED the level, that is. I truly have no idea if it was there after returning and loading it again..

I feel powerless not being able to check anything! :(

Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 16:02:30 »
I will search around for that sign. Got a few hours to spare. :) I will try and photograph every sign I can ok
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

CIA391

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 20:16:17 »
Well I never found the rectangle tall Misriah Armoury one sadly. But I got screenshots of the other 11.
I also managed to screenshot 6 of the square signs also.

I wish 343i still had their file system for Halo 3 and ODST going. Because I miss the how easy it is to just get photos linked here. I would just show everything via link
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

Jedichef

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 21:29:52 »
please check out this vid around 3mins 30sec,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhr54txafQ8

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 23:38:45 »
Vid shows the image with others in the game.  Likely its in there and it does look familiar.  Perhaps in a campaign mission?

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 02:41:32 »
please check out this vid around 3mins 30sec,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhr54txafQ8

A-HA! So THAT'S what I remembered! Right. That sing was the only instance where the BR was in the game. What they said in the BWU was that "despite this sing there are no BRs".

I still remember never seeing that in-game, and I think I remember seeing some conversation on Bnet about lookin for it in vain, but seeing as my memory already failed me in the matter I'll leave it to that. :P

CIA, did you search on MS? If the posters truly are random, then it could appear in stead of some other poster after you deload the district 9001 times. And it might be in other missions too?

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:42 »
Well I never found the rectangle tall Misriah Armoury one sadly. But I got screenshots of the other 11.
I also managed to screenshot 6 of the square signs also.

CIA, feel free to post your screenshots to this thread.  I will get them into the Gallery if you do.

CIA391

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 06:10:04 »
Well I firstly Every time I entered a district the signs changed. Sometimes signs didnt but the ones around them did hinting that it could of.
Secondly it was purely on mombassa streets
Thirdly I have to photograph all the screenshots so this will take time.
Fourth why is everyone suddenly forgetting the BR the cop uses on NMPD HQ xD

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 10:14:40 »
Well I firstly Every time I entered a district the signs changed. Sometimes signs didnt but the ones around them did hinting that it could of.

You mean, without deloadin the districts?

Thirdly I have to photograph all the screenshots so this will take time.
An idea: would itbe possible of you to link your TV or Xbox to your computer and take screen captures? Or something..might not be that easy though.

Fourth why is everyone suddenly forgetting the BR the cop uses on NMPD HQ xD

Even if my memory is bad and didn't remember the cop, wasn't he on the end cutscene of the ONI mission? I think.

I should stop thinking and start looking up facts. Or see a memory doctor.

CIA391

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 10:39:45 »
Still deloading the districts. Sorry for forgetting to note that clear.
And it was defo NMPD HQ the cop uses the BR. Use as in hold

Jedichef

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 12:47:14 »
I think finding the green sign is important because it, as you can see has symbols that relate to Sadie's story, And some numbers that seem to appear in the same format as the "time stamps".

The yellow sign also has a symbol at the top left and "Lumumba 0620" down the sides, that camera has been very suspicious to me for a long time.

In the vid Staten says check out all the signs, and pokes at the green one for obvious reasons, but possibly with more than one meaning??

Now with regard to its location, And my "amazing" memory :-\, I feel that I have seen it in game but. lol and is a big but.
I think maybe I saw it in Halo3, or one of the match making maps?? why would they put it there??
I still have not found it yet though :(

Any ideas people?? :)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:50:14 by Jedichef »

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 13:08:31 »
On the Misriah Armory sign, are you talking about the hexagonal symbols just above the BR on the right? If so, those are from nearly every SI view cutscene

I do think it is worth note that the double triangle that is present on the ODST special edition controller is in the very top right of the MA sign.
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!