Author Topic: Pre-Orders: Editions, Expansion Pack, Temporary Exclusives & Other Tales  (Read 3741 times)

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
Well, oh my.  Started looking into this and thought I would share.  First glance: looks as if we may as well be out 100 bucks right off the bat since the limited edition (at $99.99) includes the Destiny expansion pack, which will drop 12/31 and costs $34.99 as a download (or $19.99 per "map").  So you basically get the steelbook, postcards, collectors' edition digital content (ghost casing, emblem and ship variant) and other miscellanea "for free."  (Yes, I'm rolling my eyes, but when I calm myself and swallow that price tag, I have to admit it's not a bad deal for those who will inevitably buy all additional content.)  Though the Game StopAmazon, and Best Buy descriptions are misleading, the expansion pack by itself is only available for pre-order, so I am assuming the special editions do not include immediate access to this content.

As for the pre-order bonuses, Game Stop appears to be the only retailer (sorry beta episode aside, Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy) with an exclusive, a sparrow skin*, which is only exclusive (if you mind their asterisk) until 1/1/2015.  Same with the Vanguard gear, weapons, and emblem, which appear to be the pre-order bonus that comes with the game/is not retailer exclusive: it's early access.  According to one of the disclaimers, you can earn these items through play.  Conclusion: this only really matters if you're buying day one and paying full price.  Otherwise, get it wherever it's cheapest.

One other thing:  I noticed a Bungie disclaimer on gamestop.com stating that you need 20GB available hard drive AND broadband to play the game.  The latter actually affects me though I played the beta on dsl without issue.  Hmmm......

In the interest of thoroughness, for those of you who poop gold (it's a Lannister joke, people!) there's also the Ghost edition for $149.99, which includes the limited stuff PLUS a talking ghost replica/box and a letter of introduction.  (Spectacles on!)

Oh, and one other one other thing.  ;D  According to joystik.com, "Bungie is promising exclusive PlayStation content for both expansion packs."   Marty and Joe have defected, and the Microsoft-Bungie cold war continues.

*Honestly!  A slight mod regarding the GS exclusive sparrow skin.  The exclusive is described as a paint job and an acceleration/top speed/durability upgrade.  The paint job is exclusive until 1/1/2015.  The upgrades are earnable through play so not exclusive, well, ever.  When every "bonus" requires a disclaimer, I think things have gotten a little out of hand.  [Insert retail rage here.]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 19:05:09 by The Arkaeologist »

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
I think it does make sense that the "exclusive" digital content will be available later. The only thing that might be completely exclusive is the ship skin, and guess what? That's the only thing that won't affect gameplay. A faster Sparrow and more powerful weapons would give players an unfair advantage, because they are usable in multiplayer. I think the bonuses are mostly incentives to get Playstation players without much experience with Bungie interested in Destiny.
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
20 gigabytes?! My Xbox doesn't even have that many!
I feel it

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
I think it does make sense that the "exclusive" digital content will be available later.... A faster Sparrow and more powerful weapons would give players an unfair advantage, because they are usable in multiplayer.

I agree with you completely, Extrapolator Extrodanator.  (Your current self-styling makes me lol.)  I don't think players should be able to buy an advantage.  (There's enough of that in the real world!)  My beef is simply with retailers' use of the word 'exclusive.'  I am after all part librarian, not to mention all curmudgeon.   ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 13:18:55 by The Arkaeologist »

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
I think the only thing purely exclusive is the Beta emblem.

Unless they are emblems in the limited editions. And they are the only things that may be exclusive also

And that doesn't change anything gameplay wise.  Other than make you look a little cool.
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Wow! I feel like someone's being ripped off here... 'Cause I for one am NOT paying a hundred bucks for a special edition! (Especially when I've already pre-ordered...)

Then again, marketing is marketing, and even though these little bits of information you quite handily dug up (thanks! c:) might be hard to find, in the end I feel like those who get angry over this after buying the thing can only blame themselves for not finding out the truth sooner.

Though I do admit, we are staring to get close to the edge here.

Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Insane Monx

• View Profile
20 gigabytes?! My Xbox doesn't even have that many!
Keep in mind this is Xbox One, much bigger downloads than 360. Plus Microsoft just recently announced a 1 TB Xbox w/o Kinect, but it's COD: AW edition as far as I know.

In regards to the special editions, I find them fitting. I personally prefer the timed exclusives. I'd also be interested if anyone here is looking to get the most expensive edition. I'd be curious about the bonuses it comes with.
"beats be heavy, not even ready- to handle this, what im dishin out, im cashin out- gotta enough funds to rain em down" -Insane Monillionare