Author Topic: The Engineer in Halo 3: ODST has a name.  (Read 5090 times)

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
The Engineer in Halo 3: ODST has a name.
« on: August 09, 2014, 22:55:01 »
Yea you know the Engineer. We called Virgil. Its actually called Quick to Adjust.

This was announced on Halo Waypoint by the mysterious Catalog figure.
https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2997288_Is-there-an-actual-name-for-Vergil.aspx#post2997288

Just something you lot may like to know cause ODST was what brought us all originally together.
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Re: The Engineer in Halo 3: ODST has a name.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 05:42:17 »
Huh. Someone is going to have to back me up here, but aren't engineers only named one of three things? I don't remember that one...

It's way too late for me to be doing this.
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 15:07:02 »
Quick To Adjust eh?

QTA XII/VI?

Intriguing...
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 15:33:59 »
Moved this thread to a more appropriate board.

It's time for research. I'll see if there is a source from Bungie for this information. I know 343 is in charge of Halo now, but they didn't make ODST or QTA XII/VI.

[EDIT AFTER RESEARCH]

Ok, so some conflicting things. Halopedia's article on Quick To Adjust says that the name is never mentioned in Halo 3: ODST. My memory supports this, and there is no mention of a name in the POGG. The only source is the Waypoint topic CIA linked.

According to Contact Harvest, engineers can be named one of three things:
As a result, new Huragok would initially float or sink,
and their parents would name them accordingly: Far Too Heavy; Easy To Adjust; Lighter Than
Some.
Quick to Adjust isn't one of them. Staten wrote Contact Harvest, and was the lead writer for ODST; I don't think he's going to cross canon that he himself wrote. Scat, if you are reading this, you had better check this in your annotated copy.

My judgement on this topic as of right now is that Bungie canon takes precedent over 343. I'll see what I can do about contacting a Bungie employee to confirm if this is true.

[EDIT 2]

It seems I've been a little out of the loop. Staten's LinkedIn profile shows that he now works for Microsoft, and could theoretically have some say in 343. However, he hasn't listed any involvement with 343's Halo titles.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 16:13:18 by nightcrafter27 »

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 12:53:56 »
Well I always took them as examples. Engineers were named after how their gasses effected them pretty much. The book mortal dictata shows this in a good line.

"All their names have something to do with their buoyancy qualities. Why they've never run out of words to describe that, I have no idea."
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 15:42:08 »
I agree with CIA. the phrase "Their parents would name them accordingly" doesn't exactly imply that there would be a predefined set of names. Quick to Adjust should work just fine as a Hurakog name, implying that Virgil is a very versatile Engineer (especially considering how he linked into the SuperIntendent's system!).

Sure, Quick to Adjust might be a bit of an unimaginative alternative of Easy to Adjust, but I say it floats just fine.

seewhatIdidthere?

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 22:43:37 »
I agree with CIA.
Alright, I'll dig it. I'd just be arguing semantics if pursued this line of debate.

If the QTA XII/VI patch is indeed a reference to Vergil/Quick To Adjust, the secret is remarkably well hidden. I don't think there is any reference to the name Quick To Adjust except for the Catalog's post. It seems unlikely to be linked.

But while we're thinking about it, we might as well see what we can do. The player can only interact with Vegil at the end of CM: DH tHe beginning and end of CM: CH. Off the top of my head, I don't know what clips of Sadie's Story involve Vergil, But I do know there aren't enough Circles or Arks to match up with the numbers implied by XII and VI.

However, the Bungie PAX panel where the QTA patch was revealed challenged fans to solve the mystery before ODST was released. That means that the secret isn't in-game. Hurmph. I really hope somebody can show me where my train of thought went wrong.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 18:04:50 »
This does bring up the question: was the secret of QTA 6/12 given to 343 industries? Personally I feel that bungie would not give it to them. And unfortunately there are no markings near that page. The names do come off as a list so I think from Staten's perspective, those 3 names are the only ones.
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 18:32:57 »
I read it like Scat, as the list seemed to cover all the possibilities, and was to be the final word. But, it could be seen as several examples.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 17:05:04 »
I read it like Scat, as the list seemed to cover all the possibilities, and was to be the final word. But, it could be seen as several examples.

Yeah, it could be like that. I mean, it is possible that Catalog made the name up, even if I wouldn't be too sure about that.

However, the Bungie PAX panel where the QTA patch was revealed challenged fans to solve the mystery before ODST was released. That means that the secret isn't in-game. Hurmph. I really hope somebody can show me where my train of thought went wrong.

You're right, and you raise a good point, Scat. Perhaps it is just, as said, Quick Time Application on 6/12 aka the ODST trailer? (Not sure about this one..?)

Then again, (and this one has a bit better source):

ChritopherGrant at Joystig.com writes:At a press event last night, Bungie's Joseph Staten teased that the Halo 3: ODST controller's cryptic text should provide some clues into the mysteries of New Mombasa (if he did his job correctly, he said).

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 17:08:46 »
Is there a video of that last part? I can't tell if he's saying that last line jokingly or not. If not, it would kind of imply that they didn't spend much time on it, nor even confirmed that the secret could be found. Perhaps they did mess up.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2014, 17:17:50 »
Is there a video of that last part? I can't tell if he's saying that last line jokingly or not. If not, it would kind of imply that they didn't spend much time on it, nor even confirmed that the secret could be found. Perhaps they did mess up.

Can't find one, and there probably isn't one, since it sounds like it was a closed press conference.

Whether or not the line was a joke or not can only be confirmed by Staten itself: we need only to ask, right?

Now that I'm thinking that line more carefully, though, it's strange: Staten is actually talking about "clues" and "the mysteries of New Mombasa". Besides this, have we ever REALLY heard anyone from Bungie actually talk about any kind of mysteries in ODST? Unless Staten is talking about the story of the game itself or Sadie's Story/References to Dante, this is actually quite..big?

We're straying from the topic a lot now, though. I admit that the canonity of Quick to Adjust is a bit questionable, but if we were to pursue the QTA XII/VI mystery more, we should remember the possibility of it linking to Vergil's true name.

I also feel I should make a new post..

(By the way, I'm not sure if I was joking about the "ask Staten" thing. I mean, it would be pretty big itself to actually ask Staten if there really is a hidden mystery in ODST. Would we even want that?)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 14:14:38 by Imppa »

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 15:55:00 »
(Bu the way, I'm not sure if I was joking about the "ask Staten" thing. I mean, it would be pretty big itself to actually ask Staten if there really is a hidden mystery in ODST. Would we even want that?)

We've asked about the actual game's code controlling BOB spawns before; I think asking to simply confirm that there is something to find wouldn't be that big of a deal. That is, if we can find a way to contact him. A cursory search doesn't find any kind of email to contact Staten at, now that he works for Microsoft.