Author Topic: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!  (Read 16647 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!
« on: October 04, 2009, 11:38:42 »
Thanks to a few folks in the Bungie forum and some testing of their findings which I skipped sleep to do, the link between glyphs and ODST unlockables has become tangible.

Bungie forum members ZaggRukk and andymac0909 figured out that after beating up the corpses of Elites in District 06, they could unlock a door in District 08 that has eluded our opening since the 23rd (Nox and myself have repeatedly tried getting in there!)

After jag4191 here at SGP clued me in to new developments in their Bungie thread, I had to try it myself... except I refused to beat up Elite corpses.  That just made no conceptual sense at all to me.  Instead, I took a gander at the simple glyphs near their bodies (which I suspected had gotten Super DiGlyph results for me) and that has turned out to be the key.

If you scope out and/or stand against the simple glyphs facing you on the wall to your left as you enter that alleyway with the corpses, it unlocks that door.

This is massive, and I'm pleased that teamwork between the Bungie forum and the SGP has figured this out.  I will post a YouTube video as well as the usual photos.

The logical follow up question:  what other glyphs unlock what other doors?

It should be noted that the door which is opened by the simple glyphs near the dead elites is a gray security door, and that it does not simply get unlocked... it becomes (seemingly) permanently opened.

Wow.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:12:58 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 13:22:11 »
I produced a video and it's now up on YouTube here.

This also means we now have an official YouTube space.  (For better or for worse!)

AlkalineProdigy

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 15:17:11 »
Hi im new but I found something interesting when unlocking that secret room.  It also unlocks an empty SI supply room.  I've included a link to the map that shows exactly where it is.  http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/AlkalineProdigy/?action=view&current=nm_sec10-Copy.jpg

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 15:21:11 »
You rock your SOCKS off!  I'm going to check it now!  Nice work!  May I copy your image to our gallery?

AlkalineProdigy

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 15:26:00 »
well it isnt my map but ya I guess you can.  I've also found a couple more glyphs that seem the trigger checkpoints which im guessing unlocks something nearby.  Though me being stupid I didnt mark on a map where those glyphs were.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 15:28:54 »
Oh, right.... duh!  Well I was going to make maps by district from in-game images before all of this excitement started.  For now, we'll use yours.

NEW DEVELOPMENT:  I thought I witnessed this occurring days ago but now I'm certain.  The simple glyphs in D06 near the Elite bodies just disappeared on me.

I think it may have to do with being in combat.

AlkalineProdigy

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 15:31:36 »
I've gone into SI supply rooms that had no glyphs in them only to return and the room is filled with them.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 15:43:33 »
Yes, seen that, too!  It's the Glyph Game, everybody!  Once you see 'em, how to keep them around?  Once they're gone, how do you get 'em back?

There is an annoying Jackal in District 06 on a catwalk above the District 04 doors.  You can kill him, but when you return he always respawns.  You saw me avoiding him in my video. 

I think this Game of Glyphs is going to result in us making mad dashes across the city without being allowed to kill things.  If Bungie makes us play on Legendary to unlock everything, that sniper is gonna suck.  I feel like I can see that coming...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 15:45:11 »
BTW:  When the Super Tri blanks, the Simple Glyphs in D06 blank, too.  They also both returned together when I reloaded my save.

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 19:35:13 »
Oh, right.... duh!  Well I was going to make maps by district from in-game images before all of this excitement started.  For now, we'll use yours.

NEW DEVELOPMENT:  I thought I witnessed this occurring days ago but now I'm certain.  The simple glyphs in D06 near the Elite bodies just disappeared on me.

I think it may have to do with being in combat.

Hey, just found this forum by ways of being bored and going on the b.net thread, lol. This forums is much more focused, so I'll be active in this one (multiple threads is -greate- lol)
I've made these maps for the audio logs, and thought this would be a good time to use them. (They include the blacked out sectors).
Color
Print
I'll be updating them tuesday (hopefully) or so with colored overlays for each sector, and all the areas used in campaign.
My brother loves running around and breaking cities, so this should be right up his ally, and probably supply some multiplayer feedback.

Looking forward to this development =)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 19:44:44 »
VERY nice maps!  Thanks for sharing them!  Mind if I stick 'em in the Gallery?

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 19:46:57 »
I would love it =)
But don't keep them up there too long, there should be updates within a few days ;)

Omeganuepsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 01:15:28 »
If you want, I'm great with photoshop, and can make some printer friendly(not all that black), where the buildings are still blue, etc.

Comes in handy since I'm using the same TV as a monitor at the same time.

Or if you have it and are somewhat familiar with layers...:

Copy and paste.
Select bottom layer and "invert".
Set top layer to either Color, or Hue(can't remember which).

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 02:40:36 »
If you could make a flat overlay that is the whole map including the greyed out areas and leave out any text, beacons, and the like. It would be awesome! I need a blank map to help plot some points for glyphs and all that. Just leave it the colors it is in the game though... If it's not asking to much...
...this coffee sucks.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 05:03:28 »
I second Kenji's motion!  I finally got thebraino's cool maps up in the gallery and was thinking how cool it would be to have blank ones so folks could use them to plot anything they want to point out; from rooms to doors to glyphs to signs to their favorite Jackal spawn point.

Kenji beat me to it, though.  But me too!  Me too!

In any event, thanks for the maps, braino!