Author Topic: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!  (Read 16626 times)

DeathIsTheEnd

• View Profile
Re: SGP: Report - Glyphs Unlock a Door!
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 08:43:01 »
I just noticed this forum from Bungie's, so now I'm going to spend some time messing around with these glyphs and stuff.
Great find BTW.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 08:56:14 »
welcome! take you time and look around! hopefully someone will answer any question to get you up to speed here! so don't be afraid and be nice!
...this coffee sucks.

andymac0909

• The elites strike from the dark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 09:06:26 »
Well guys, i can only use my knowledge of halo fiction to help, which proved useful.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 09:08:11 »
Ya know? I have yet to read the books... I gotta look into those.
...this coffee sucks.

VsH Tepec Fett

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Halocreation : French Glitchers Community
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 09:19:44 »
Okay, not a good news from my part, but a news :
Now, we know that this secret room is empty, even in "Mythic Difficulty" (Legendary and all of the skulls activated). I don't need to take that video on my file share, did I ?

Tepec, that was a possibility, after all !

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 12:56:09 »
maybe after we do some triggers and activate stuff and possibly do a little cookie dance, something will appear in that room. who knows? It could have been the dance the whole time and we never thought to try it........
...this coffee sucks.

Sane888

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 17:14:43 »
I've noticed that in Cold Glider's video, when he looked to glyph he got that Checkpoint... Done thing. Though there were enemy presence. But could that still be somekind of mark that indicates you have triggered the Glyph and something has happened? 'Cause I got this Checkpoint... Done while watching one of these Glyphs at district 6, if I remember right, where is one dead Elite and few Glyphs. Of course, there were also enemy presence, but they were attacking all the time, and I usually don't get checkpoints when I'm under an attack. I haven't found any new doors opened after looking to that Glyph, but I didn't have much time to check out whole city, so I guess there could be little chance, that this Glyph triggers something.

And I'm so sorry 'cause I don't have any pictures to you guys.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 17:22:10 by Sane888 »

gothi

• View Profile
    • gothi - a Badly Chosen Byte
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 17:34:20 »
Great theories but I'm sad to report that the door opens without looking at the glyphs...
Since the get go I've been convinced this is a loading error due to re-jigging the Halo 3 engine to support a streaming city.  The engine's not really geared up for this and as you can see the city looks very similar as it re-uses existing assets. But onto the experiment...

I loaded up NM streets and immediately got myself a mongoose and headed to Sector 8 to check on the door. At this point I should point out that at no time after getting the mongoose did I have the visor on.  The door was closed as expected.
I then drove over to Sector 6 and without turning on my visor walked up to the covenant sniper rifle next to the Elites, picked it up and got back on my mongoose (parked near to the Sector exit).  I then drove immediately back to the door which was now open with no glyphs sighted.

If you look at a map you'll see that Sector 8 is actually a twisted mirror of Sector 3 and if you look closely you'll see that Sector 3 also has a room with funny tiles on it matching the location and design of the one in Sector 8.  If you go to this area you'll immediately feel at home and easily spot the Security door as placed in a mirror fashion to the one in Sector 8. This door opens...

So, it's my belief that this is just fall out to the way the game engine loads the levels and nothing at all to do with the glyphs, it's just coincidence that they are located in the area you need to go to de-load the doors.

Please repeat this experiment and see if you draw the same conclusion as me.  I'm sure the glyphs are more than simple decoration and following them from my start point actually led me to a key point in the game (one of the crash sites) so their purpose to me is clear; Player guidance and to add an air of mystery..

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 18:15:45 by gothi »

JSM26

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 18:19:16 »
Its a shame that the 'secret' room may not actually be a secret, but it makes sense, the room did not seem to be complete (free floating objects on rooftops and whatnot). I think I had a similar experience as well, though entirely unintentional. Loading my game (started near the security door) I found it was locked, so I went straight to sector 06 only to find that the glyphs (along with the BELIEVE graffiti) were not present, none the less, when I went back to the door immediately afterwords, it was open.

If this was only a loading error, could any of the other disappearing / changing glyphs be due to a similar issue? (magic wall?)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 18:45:30 »

If this was only a loading error, could any of the other disappearing / changing glyphs be due to a similar issue? (magic wall?)

I don't think it is, or at least I hope so.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 20:55:38 »
The magic wall is DEFINATELY different as we have seen it with 1,2, and 3 Si circles on it at different times and even hav picture proof. As for the room, I too, had my suspicions. I won't rule it out, but I won't forget about it too.
...this coffee sucks.

mob legndkiller

• Glyph Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 21:07:25 »
If anyone watched my video on how to get the glychics to come up on the magic wall it is very much possible that there is a loading glitch with that inter area. All though i do still think there is some thing else in the city. Bungie puts easter eggs in there games all the time and really didn't find much in this one. For example the scarab gun in halo 2 which was SO HARD to get.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 21:10:12 »
ya but with the scarab gun you had to use a loading glitch AND leave the level... If it's anyhting like that, we've been looking in all the wrong places...

So saying that the secret room is just a loading glitch. Is saying there is still a good chance something might be there. Never underestimate bungie! ;D
...this coffee sucks.

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:17 »
You made a good point with the scarab gun requiring a glitch...
I hate it when they use glitches intentially, it's just -wrong- somehow, lol

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 04:17:46 »
So I was trying to do the "open door" glitch in 2 player coop and noticed something unfortunate.  We were traveling from the alley that supposedly opened the door to the door.  We stopped at the S06's Stonehenge to look around because all the 6-es had disappeared from the walls of the sector.  Inside, the glyph with the sad SI at the top no longer showed his head.  I then went to the door in S08 and it was still closed.  On my return to S06 the SI's sad face had reappeared, but not for my teammate who hadn't gone into S08, he then went and returned and the SI's face was back.

This inconsistency in loading is unsettling.  It might mean that a lot of the shifts that we thought were intentional are merely accidents.  I hope not, but I thought I'd mention it.