Author Topic: Returning to Halo CE...  (Read 4211 times)

CS1Energypyre

• Still looking, Sal?
    • View Profile
Returning to Halo CE...
« on: November 28, 2009, 23:21:10 »
Recently the 'Warning: Hitch-hikers may be escaping convicts' phrase has been stuck in my head. That's made me think... has anyone tried to replicate Halo: CE by doing the final level in just the warthog?

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to Halo CE...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:11:32 »
Just did so on solo Heroic, brought the same warthog the whole way and nothing new.

HOWEVER.  I did notice that in the ending cutscene there are 3 ODST beneath the Phantom after Buck pushes Dare and Virgil up into the Phantom.  1 is the Rookie, 1 is Buck.  Who is the other one?  Everyone else is still in the Phantom.

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:17:09 »
@Apollo Doom
Could you provide a pic? Cause that way we can easily compare "it"'s armor with the others without having to play the whole level.
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 15:58:49 »
well i was trying this, but i got RRoD... so i got nothing to tell ya. I would assume its dutch tho. hes nice. he probly came down and helped.
I feel it

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 20:31:14 »
EnergyPyre has reminded me of something I've suggested to some of you online: completing the game without killing a single enemy.  This was somewhat of a half-cooked idea on my part because of the flashback missions:
  • Kizingo Boulevard requires that you clear the enemies at the end of the mission to end it.
  • Kikowani Station requires that you destroy a Scarab
  • Coastal Highway requires that you protect Dare and Vergil

Note:  starting the Mombasa Streets mission from the beginning allows you to avoid clearing the starting area of enemies in order to unlock the first door; it begins unlocked.

So perhaps:
"Returning to Marathon..."

The original Vidmaster Challenge was posed to Marathon players by Bungie co-founder Jason Jones (as user "igne ferroque") through usenet (alt.games.marathon) on 1995.01.25 00:22:53 GMT:
I challenge anyone who thinks they rule at Marathon to complete all of
the game's levels on Total Carnage starting with only the pistol and
x1 health (via Command-Option Begin Game).  Upload your replays!

I've just done "Bob-B-Q" and "Beware of Low-Flying Defense Drones", anyone
want to see?  I imagine that "Pfhoraphobia" will be impossible, but I
haven't tried it yet.

Later,
Jason

You can see this for yourself in Google's Usenet archives here.

What does this mean for ODST? 

There are many ways we could attempt replicate this challenge.  The two obvious methods:
  • Complete the game on Legendary using only the starting weapons.
  • Complete the game on Mythic using only the starting weapons.

Just a thought.  Perhaps something for Recon Team Alpha to try once they finally assemble.

WTG Apollo on testing the Warthog idea on CM:CH!
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 21:03:34 »
Yeah I'm terribly not observant somtimes, I didn't notice Dutch drops out of the Phantom when the cutscene starts.

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 23:08:51 »
Buck's kills from shotgun count as yours.
I think the end of KB is doable if you get Dutch the rockets.  I usually give them to him anyway but I've not tried to let him kill everything.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 23:13:36 »
u can avoid the scarab by donwing it, opening door, and destroying squid houses. U HAVE to desttroy the squid houses and that counts as a kill i think. so thats a no go. kizingo buelivard just let allies kill them. and coastal highway... im sure it can be done on easy. as for the end, yes, but it would take a hell of a long time. you could give buck a pistol, damage the enemyss, and let him headshot em.
I feel it

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 23:37:16 »
I just played through KB on normal and successfully got no kills myself.  I did forget to get my gunner out of the scorpion so he got 2 kills that counted for me.  

The wraith battle at Kizingo Boulevard area itself was difficult because Dutch is scripted to stand by the door to the Rally Point area and you have to push him back down to kill all the enemies in that area.  Also in the Rally Point area Dutch refuses to shoot rockets at the wraith.  I finally solved the problem by finding the FGR and giving it to him.  Then he went postal on the wraith.

I can't begin to imagine how hard this would be on Legendary or Mythic.

As for CH there are 2 places to get the rockets, one before you get to the elevator and one after.  You can supply Buck with the first one and he'll keep it until the end of the level.  The 2nd set you can grab and then give to Dare once you reach Last Exit area.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 17:05:57 »
In the train station at the end of the level, they eventually destroy a squidhouse on their own. They blew one up when I was trying to explore. They killed me those bastards...
...this coffee sucks.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 23:08:13 »
lol ok. When i first played those bastards never followed, so i thot i had to stay there.
I feel it

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 00:26:51 »
Just did so on solo Heroic, brought the same warthog the whole way and nothing new.

HOWEVER.  I did notice that in the ending cutscene there are 3 ODST beneath the Phantom after Buck pushes Dare and Virgil up into the Phantom.  1 is the Rookie, 1 is Buck.  Who is the other one?  Everyone else is still in the Phantom.

1 is the rookie
1 is buck and the other is dutch as you see him come out of the phantom
who are you and why are you looking at my profile

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 17:08:38 »
How about we finish IN a warthog? Single player. nade the hog over the place where you have to get out and then kill the enemy, and then drive over to the place and start the cut scene. The reason i think this might have something to do with it is because i was trying this, and i did it, and as soon as the cut scene started my xbox got hung, (damn you RRoD) but the cut scene appeared to be at a different angle.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 18:26:16 »
How about we finish IN a warthog? Single player. nade the hog over the place where you have to get out and then kill the enemy, and then drive over to the place and start the cut scene. The reason i think this might have something to do with it is because i was trying this, and i did it, and as soon as the cut scene started my xbox got hung, (damn you RRoD) but the cut scene appeared to be at a different angle.
Meh, worth trying.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2010, 11:16:46 »
i`m always happy to go playing some halo 1  :)

also there is a vid on youtube of getting inside the banshee by overloading the map with the flood in the engine room
who are you and why are you looking at my profile