Author Topic: SGP: Saving the Engineers?  (Read 4370 times)

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
SGP: Saving the Engineers?
« on: October 05, 2009, 22:12:03 »
Does anyone know or has anyone tried to eliminate the guards around any Engineers and not have them die?  It just occurred to me that if this can be accomplished it might be pretty helpful...

I thought of this when I was in the Tayari Plaza mirror.  There was 1 Brute and 2 Engineers and 0 other Covenant anywhere around.  I sneaked to the back and found a single sniper positioned directly between plasma barrels.  I thought maybe I was supposed to kill the Brute with the sniper in one shot, maybe it would kill him and not the Engineers.  No such luck.  I then tried assassinating the Brute to seek the same effect.  No luck again.

Anyone else encountered lone Brutes with Engineers or have any luck not killing Engineers?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 05:50:21 by ColdGlider »

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Saving the Engineers?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 22:53:43 »
the engineers are tied to the squad that they are near. I believe that when the leading officer is killed, the engineers bombs detonate...
...this coffee sucks.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:49:59 »
FWIW I have been thinking the same thing.  Kenji is correct, but if we could accomplish what Apollo has suggested then it'd be massive.
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

JSM26

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 12:40:35 »
While I don't think it is possible to kill their squad without them exploding, so (and I'm kind of combining this theory and the 'no combat' theory here) what if the requirement is to not fight any of these engineer protected squads at all, since that is the only currently known way to keep them alive.

Rogue Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 15:56:36 »
true also if you to to ram the brutes with a mongoose nothing happens.They just stand there not even noticing that you there, which i found is odd.
To stick or not to stick that is the question.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 16:47:25 »
In a post over on the Big Forum, Phynixblack wrote:
You CAN interrupt them, although it has no effect other then saving the little dude.

The one planting the charge needs to take a hit with a spike grenade stick. It'll end him, the other two let go of the Engineer and you kill them.

Then, if you managed to do it quick enough, the Engineer flies in circles instead of exploding when you get close.

You can do it with two people brainlessly. I've done it alone.

This Easter egg does not effect any other bit of the game and those brutes respawn there sometimes, giving you multiple chances to see the easter egg at random in that Plaza.
We should confirm/deny this.  Please save your game for theater playback if you test it.

CS1Energypyre

• Still looking, Sal?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 14:27:28 »
While I don't think it is possible to kill their squad without them exploding, so (and I'm kind of combining this theory and the 'no combat' theory here) what if the requirement is to not fight any of these engineer protected squads at all, since that is the only currently known way to keep them alive.

Sorry, me and my friend proved that false yesterday. We spent half an hour looking for secrets (we search on normal. That's the last place Bungie'd think we look) but nothing different happened, other than being murdered endlessly by the brute leader. We even tried killing certain members of the squad, no luck. In the end we left the sector because my friend thinks the Engineers look cute (who doesn't?) and objects to killing them, even via brute leader.

Redearth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 12:39:41 »
I can't get proof of it, but I can confirm that I've saved the lives of about two engineers.  Unintentionally, and at the same time while I was trying to kill them, but they did escape without exploding.

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 00:42:07 »
I noticed that in firefight when I'm trying to get rid of them without a plasma pistol, (like with grenades or some other explosion) they go flying waaaaaaaay high. maybe if we could blast them into the sky and kill the brute before they come back down, they would still be alive.

I'd try it now but I need a second person.... its a pain to do it by yourself on legendary...
...this coffee sucks.

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 00:17:31 »
lead the brute into another district and kill him before he dissapears if done right the engineer wont be affected(done this at ONI alpha site area)

or lead the brute through a door and leave him stuck there forever.....until he deloads
who are you and why are you looking at my profile

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 04:19:13 »
lead the brute into another district and kill him before he dissapears if done right the engineer wont be affected(done this at ONI alpha site area)

or lead the brute through a door and leave him stuck there forever.....until he deloads

Now THIS is worth trying in the D04 Sunken Plaza.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 05:26:36 »
i think if u kill AL brutes fast enough the engy still has the charge but doesnt rage into the sky when it blows up.
I feel it

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 08:50:19 »

I led the brute from the D04 Sunken Plaza into D06 three times.  I was never able to keep the Engineers alive after the Brute died in an adjacent district.

Video 1 (Mombasa St 007)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564647

My first attempt is a fail, so forward to 2:07.  I lead the brute into D06 through D0604-A.  He despawns before I kill him.  This happens at 3:05.  If you pan cam over to the engineers before the District Doors (DDs) close, you will see them go "poof!" precisely at 3:05.  They become horseshoe-shaped ghosts that Enigma can use to further his disinformation campaign (please don't!)  Also at 3:05 the DDs were shut- not that it matters.  Once you see this, you can end the film.  The remaining nine minutes is just me getting set up for the next run.

Video 2 (Mombasa St 008)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564808

This time I kill the Brute before he despawns, but I kill him right on the threshold of the DDs.  The engineers go bang normally.  The DDs were open the entire time.  I didn't like this video for three reasons:  I forgot to quit and resume so the action doesn't start until 10 minutes in, the DDs remained open, and the Brute died too close to the door.  So skip it.  I link it only so that the proof is provided.

Video 3 (Mombasa St 009)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564819

So far this is my best attempt.  The Brute buys the farm at 1:31.  The DDs are closed (although the lock is still in a yellow status.)  I get it done on my first try.  What happens back over in D04?  The usual, precisely at 1:31.  Dead engineers.

What is somewhat interesting in Video 1 and Video 3 is how the Engineers' deaths don't climax with a huge explosion (mind your comments, fellas) but instead just vanish into a small blue cloud sometimes without even doing their normal pre-explosion ascent.   I'm guessing that this is some manner of game optimization or simply a theater glitch.

In any event, I could not replicate what OG claims to have done in CM:MS:ONI. 

P.S.  If you care to see any of these videos in the future, please save them to your machine.  I'll be taking them down eventually to make more room for other things. 

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 18:48:19 »

I led the brute from the D04 Sunken Plaza into D06 three times.  I was never able to keep the Engineers alive after the Brute died in an adjacent district.

Video 1 (Mombasa St 007)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564647

My first attempt is a fail, so forward to 2:07.  I lead the brute into D06 through D0604-A.  He despawns before I kill him.  This happens at 3:05.  If you pan cam over to the engineers before the District Doors (DDs) close, you will see them go "poof!" precisely at 3:05.  They become horseshoe-shaped ghosts that Enigma can use to further his disinformation campaign (please don't!)  Also at 3:05 the DDs were shut- not that it matters.  Once you see this, you can end the film.  The remaining nine minutes is just me getting set up for the next run.

Video 2 (Mombasa St 008)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564808

This time I kill the Brute before he despawns, but I kill him right on the threshold of the DDs.  The engineers go bang normally.  The DDs were open the entire time.  I didn't like this video for three reasons:  I forgot to quit and resume so the action doesn't start until 10 minutes in, the DDs remained open, and the Brute died too close to the door.  So skip it.  I link it only so that the proof is provided.

Video 3 (Mombasa St 009)
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102564819

So far this is my best attempt.  The Brute buys the farm at 1:31.  The DDs are closed (although the lock is still in a yellow status.)  I get it done on my first try.  What happens back over in D04?  The usual, precisely at 1:31.  Dead engineers.

What is somewhat interesting in Video 1 and Video 3 is how the Engineers' deaths don't climax with a huge explosion (mind your comments, fellas) but instead just vanish into a small blue cloud sometimes without even doing their normal pre-explosion ascent.   I'm guessing that this is some manner of game optimization or simply a theater glitch.

In any event, I could not replicate what OG claims to have done in CM:MS:ONI. 

P.S.  If you care to see any of these videos in the future, please save them to your machine.  I'll be taking them down eventually to make more room for other things. 

well thats strange maybe i got lucky, i lead him over through the doors and killed him, when i returned to the area he normally would be the engineer was simply still floating around

i`ll get a vid next time it happens
who are you and why are you looking at my profile

Kenji

• SGP Moderator
  • Living life slowly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 19:32:01 »
I have an incedent that I have discused with Cold... (let's see if he recalls it.)
I was wandering the streets going about the usual (looking at glyphs or killing patrols) and I noticed something strange. After you complete a mission, most of D05 closes and becomes a black area (nothing new). What I did notice was an engineer just floating outside the now locked door. Just floating... doing nothing, like it's AI stopped functioning. It didn't register the "scary" weapons or being hit. It still made noises for the situation (getting hurt and the like).

I never had a chance to save the vid... A real shame.
...this coffee sucks.