Author Topic: SGP: Plinthformation  (Read 2338 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
SGP: Plinthformation
« on: December 18, 2009, 01:23:03 »
Like many of my posts, this one is long.  Please note that at the end, I am requesting that you provide some input.  I also need a response specifically from Apollo Doom.  So please at least read the second section.

Thanks!

The Exciting History of the Five Plinths (or: What We Were Doing Mid-October) aka "Plinthformation"

Five (5) known plinths were found between 2009.10.12 and 2009.10.20.

2009.10.12: Plinth 1 was discovered by Enigma.  He found it in D06 in CM:MS adjacent to Squidhenge.  It is a "Type 1" plinth that has an "I" shape and resembles a small pillar.  He reported it here at 09:20:04 AM EST.

2009.10.19: Plinth 2 was discovered by Enigma.  He found it in D04 in CM:MS in a building near the clue item (turret) for the CM:KB mission.  It is a "Type 2" plinth that has more of a "4" shape, so its no surprise that we recognize it as Forerunner architecture.  He reported it here at 10:39:29 AM EST.

2009.10.19:  Apollo Doom reports the discovery of a third plinth- but it is located in CM:TP, not in CM:MS.  Within that mission, it is found in D08.  He reported it here at 12:15:56 PM EST.
Quote from: Apollo Doom
I'd also like to note we found one identical to the first Stone in Tayari Plaza but forgot to mention it.  It was in the plaza with the footbridges in the building that leads to the 3rd floor catwalk.
This means that he (and whoever he was playing with) discovered what we might have called the "third plinth" but instead, this discovery got sidelined.  In fact, it has not yet reached the Summary of Confirmed Findings!  When the next plinth was discovered in CM:MS, Apollo actually referred to it as the "third plinth" here.  The fact that we sidelined this plinth due to its exclusion from CM:MS is probably the source of all confusion regarding how many plinths have been found and which one is which.  It also doesn't help that two of the four plinths found in CM:MS are located in D05 which people often refer to as Tayari Plaza, since that plaza does exist in D05 (Dare's Crash Site.)  We'll get this sorted out in a bit.  For now, consider this the CM:TP plinth.

2009.10.19: Plinth 3 was discovered by lordofthebeets.  It was found it in D05 in CM:MS inside the building adjacent to the supply cache (i.e. the very first building you ever enter in a new campaign.)  He reported it here at 05:55:18 PM EST.  It's also a "Type 2" plinth identical to the second. 

2009.10.20: Plinth 4 was discovered by SpecOps.  It was found in D05 inside of the building where you find Dare's Helmet and begin the CM:TP mission.  It was reported here at 05:55:18 PM EST.

Good Evening, Mr. Plinth.  May I call you "Apollo"?
The history should illustrate that we need a better way to refer to the plinths.  If you leave it up to me, you'll end up with IDs similar to the other things I have cataloged.  So you'd get something like:
P06-1 (Plinth 1)
P04-1 (Plinth 2)
P05-1 (Plinth 3)
P05-2 (Plinth 4)
P08-1 (CM:TP Plinth)

In addition to these technical IDs, we could adopt names for them as either an alternative way to refer to them or as a total replacement for IDs.  For example:
E1 (Plinth1, named for "Enigma's First")
E2 (Plinth 2, named for "Enigma's Second")
The Plinth of Doom (CM:TP Plinth, reported first by Apollo Doom)
The Beet (Plinth 3, named after lordofthebeets)
Spec (Plinth 4, named after SpecOps)

We could also handle this like the naming of comets, allowing the discoverer to choose the name.  We might end up with plinths named "Purple" or "Yumiko". 

In any event, I need to update the Findings.  My GMT times are wrong for some of them and I want to give credit where credit is due for the CM:TP Plinth.  Apollo- who else helped you discover it?

So please:  this is a call to all SGP Members!  Weigh in on how you think we should name these things!

Once we settle on IDs and/or names then I can make a new map- yay!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 17:52:55 by nightcrafter27 »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Plinthformation
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 01:40:50 »
E1 - Frank
E2 - Bob

Sorry Purple was taken. :)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 08:42:52 »
The Plinth of Doom is too long...how about Doomplinth? :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 09:21:58 by ColdGlider »
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 14:18:44 »
anyone tried finding any plinths in kizingo boulveyard or data hive
who are you and why are you looking at my profile

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 14:42:46 »
I think it should be like CG said: P06-1 and so on. Giving names that have absolutely nothing to do with the plynths doesn't make sense and will just confuse people, specially the newcomers and those who come here once to try to learn something about all these mysteries (like I did).
I am tree.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 16:03:39 »
i haz a couple of names:
The Will (as in it makes us use our will to find stuff)
Julia
I feel it

Dunder Moose

• SGP Moderator
  • Gherjsz<GP
    • View Profile
    • Rockblog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 00:36:37 »
The Plinth of Doom is too long...how about Doomplinth? :D
Aplintho Doom
::0:-:-:0:-:0:0:0:-:000000:-:0000000:-:0000:00:0:0:0:00:00:000:0::