Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: The Librarians

SGP: Dr. Catherine Halsey and the ONI Memorial

(1/4) > >>

odst glitcher:
it says dr halsey died in 2552
http://www.bungie.net/Online/Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx?h3fileid=102904958

now in the loading screen of odst at the start it says the year is 2552 if i`m correct but she died on reach yet reach was glassed years ago

Pulse Cloud:
Where does it say what you said it says?
If Bungie said whatever it said it's because what it said is what Bungie wanted to say, so what you said about it saying something Bungie said (because it was Bungie who said) must be wrong.

odst glitcher:

--- Quote from: Pulse Cloud on December 21, 2009, 23:23:58 ---Where does it say what you said it says?
If Bungie said whatever it said it's because what it said is what Bungie wanted to say, so what you said about it saying something Bungie said (because it was Bungie who said) must be wrong.

--- End quote ---

that was confusing but it is by the rocket spawn(FF alpha site) on both CM and FF above the bench

Kenji:
Couldn't tell ya, but a lot of the books have continuity errors throughout them. Maybe it was just an oversight?

The Arkaeologist:
Though playing the games leaves one with a very different impression – I would have to give it some thought to determine how exactly this is accomplished or whether it is (perhaps?) intentional on the part of the Halo story people – most of the main events depicted within the Halo games occur on a very compressed timeline.  The glassing of Reach occurs in late August 2552.  John-117 escapes Reach and goes to Threshold, the site of the first halo (Installation 04), where he initially encounters the Flood.  The events depicted in Halo 1 thus take place in September 2552, over what I believe is a three to four day period.  Halo 2 begins with John-117 on Cairo Station above Earth on October 20, 2552.  The events of ODST take place on October 20, 2552.  In this sense, ODST takes place before the events of Halo 3 (no surprise) but also, it appears, before many of the events depicted in Halo 2.  It is hard to give a timeframe to the Arbiter portion of Halo 2 (though we know it is after his September defeat at Installation 04), at least until he comes in contact with John-117, at which point we know it must be October 20 or later.  Events involving Colonel Ackerson’s Spartan-III’s and the aforementioned Dr. Halsey, who is rescued from Reach during the events of First Strike, are transpiring on Onyx around this time as the firing (later canceled) of Installation 05 (as depicted in Halo 2) appears to trigger the opening of the shield world on Onyx (as depicted in Ghosts of Onyx).

Suffice it to say, it is all very confusing.  To further complicate matters, the Halo novelists skip back and forth in time to provide back story.  This means that you may encounter a character in a “later” book at an earlier time in his life.  Plus, the story is told from the perspective of the characters (or you, the gamer, as the character).  There is no omniscient voice ushering us through events, correcting our misconceptions etc.  Much like in life, the misconceptions (She’s dead!) are allowed to play themselves out and to serve as later plot twists.  Who knows?  Maybe it’s cheating or poor planning, but it winds up being pretty entertaining.

SO…I say all this only to say Reach wasn’t glassed “years ago” – it just feels like that – and Halsey didn’t die on Reach, or if she did, she didn’t die at the time the planet was glassed.  The Covenant merely half-glassed it, as it were.  Unless she wound up back there at some point and it was glassed again and more thoroughly and I don’t know what the heck I’m talking about (entirely possible).  I’ve only sped through a few of the books at this point and played Halo 2 and 3 a little – and very badly.

Ah, the multi-media experience.  And howdy!

Also, here's the Halopedia page, which shows the whole of the Halsey ONI memorial plaque.  Odst Glitcher’s link seems to take us to a fragment of this plaque.  (Forgive me if I’m stating the obvious in any or all parts of this post.)  Since the Halopedia has a problem citing sources, I have no idea where you can see the whole plaque in-media though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version