Author Topic: SGP: OXM UK issue 52 Bungie Interview: FINALLY!  (Read 3147 times)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
SGP: OXM UK issue 52 Bungie Interview: FINALLY!
« on: January 12, 2010, 18:39:12 »
Thanks to LUK4S from Bnet, we finally have the rumored OXMs Bungie's interview of ODST!
Here it is, from word to word!

10 THINGS YOU MUST TRY IN HALO 3 ODST

BUNGIE SHARES TIPS, SECRETS AND CLUES FOR ITS NEW RELEASE.

Bungie is notorious for hiding secrets and references its games, and with the HALO universe getting bigger all the time theres plenty of material to work with. we asked the developers to point out some of the best in HALO 3 ODST.

1. BEWARE BIG BROTHER.
The superintendant is the all-seeing AI in charge of the security, transport and day to day running of New Mombassa. The eagle eyed among you will notice that once an area has been made "ONLINE" through comm terminals, the superintendant will activate tiny moving security cameras and follow you around the city.

2. STORY TELLER
You know about the supers weapon caches, but "there's something unique that happens" if you find all 30 of the hidden
Sadies story comm terminals, "or as many of them you can find in New Mombassa" teaser senior designer Lars Bakken. Bungies asked us not to spoil the surprise, but its pure fan service...

3. ETHICAL DECISION.
Big hearted gamers can choose to spare the covenants enslaved Engineers for an achievement- but its not going to be easy. "you have to be very careful," says Bakken. " in the same way that a brute cheiftans grunts will run away if you kill him, An Engineer that's supporting him might sacrifice himself."

4. SUPERSTASH.
Active followers of Bungies comm terminal radio play will be rewarded with the unlocking of weapon caches littered around the New Mombassa streets. There are five different kinds in total, including caches of sniper rifles, rocket launchers and even Mongooses to speed around the hub world.

5. KEEP IT (AND THE WALLS) CLEAN.
If you stumble upon Engineers hanging out without Brute guards, turn on your vision mode to spot the mysterious glyphs they've graffited on the walls. Creative director Joe Staten tells us: "these tell stories, not very clear-cut stories but they represent the shape of forerunner ships, etc."

6. BE LIKE MARTY, ONCE.
Playing badly is only considered virtuoso if you're a British sports team or Bungies audio director Marty O'donnel. If your going for the Be like marty achievement and keeping your hands clean of covenant blood, make sure the rest of your team aren't chasing it in the same game. It could last a while.

7. ODSTOTTY
Says Bugie. "There are a whole bunch of silly easter eggs that we put in. On legendary, when you're in your drop pod and you look over to your left , youll see a picture of your gilfriend... who looks shockingly like one of the lead graphic engineers at bungie but in female form. She's oddly alluring in a disturbing way." PHWOAR...

8. CRAZY MARINE.
One of few characters to appear in every halo game is "the crazy marine". in halo 1 his insane ramblings warn you of the flood invasion in the swamp mission, and he reprises his mental role in halo2 and halo 3. In ODST, you can once again witness the crazy marines outbursts in an area of the New Mombassa Zoo.

9. KEEP FIDDLING.
"We've never really allowed people to look around in cinematics before," says joe staten, offering a tease to ODSTs shiniest Easter egg secret. "There's at least one situation in ODST where fiddling with your joysticks is a very good idea. That's one of the deepest, darkest HALO ODST secrets.. its a good one." Keep on fiddling...

10.RARE BOUNTY.
With ODST in the shops, HALO 3s infamous Recon armour is finally accessible to the average (but massively skilled)
HALO player. completing the various VidMaster Achievments - the last of which is accessible in ODSTs firefight mode - will unlock special gear for worthy gamers. Good luck... you're going to need it.

Thanks again, LUK4S!
To be noted:
-The article states that there are 5 different kind of supply caches in all, but only four have been found, I hear.
-Unlocking all the audio logs should make something unique happen. OXM also says it's "pure fan service".
-LUK4S said that the mag came out just before ODSTs release. Therefore, all these things should be in the game, and they wouldn't have been cut. But I'm not ceratin when was this interview actually made, so we can't be exactly sure if something was cut after all...
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: OXM UK issue 52 Bungie Interview: FINALLY!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 19:03:10 »
I think the "pure fan service" was the room where Sadi's dead dead is. I still want to get back in there, I didn't get a great look the first time around. Is it Apollo who has 29 logs?

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 19:54:13 »
I think the "pure fan service" was the room where Sadi's dead dead is.

"if you find all 30 of the hidden Sadies story comm terminals". I understand this as "AFTER you find all 30 of the hidden Sadies story comm terminals", so it might be something else. And how could that room be "pure fan service"?
I am tree.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 19:59:32 »
I think the "pure fan service" was the room where Sadi's dead dead is.

"if you find all 30 of the hidden Sadies story comm terminals". I understand this as "AFTER you find all 30 of the hidden Sadies story comm terminals", so it might be something else.
Exactly.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

EnigmaBiz

• Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
  • Sphinx Grand Pharaoh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 21:02:23 »
I think "pure fan service" isn't meant as a HALO fan I think its a ODST fan meaning collecting all of the comm and getting into that room where Sadie's dead dad is. I mean if your not a fan you would probably blow through the game and never gain access to that room. Also there was some pictures and stuff in that room.. I mean really I know its nothing EPIC but that is the only extra thing that happens after collecting all of the comm.....so I would assume that would be it......

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 21:32:39 »
that is the only extra thing that happens after collecting all of the comm.....

Are you sure? ;)
I am tree.

odst glitcher

• founder of the AR and zombie elites
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 22:12:30 »
eastereggs? on legendary lots i gotta go searching on legendary  :)

also about that fiddling with cutscenes has anyone tried with the others not just the ending
who are you and why are you looking at my profile

thebraino

• SGP Moderator
  • The info you came here for is on that side... --->
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 23:01:05 »
Thanks for the post! It gives a good amount of direction.

Dunder Moose

• SGP Moderator
  • Gherjsz<GP
    • View Profile
    • Rockblog
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 15:40:24 »
There is another change with all logs.  When you locate Vergil in the control room the original has you raise your Sub-mg to blow him away and Dare talks you down.  If you have all the COMMs she raises her pistol and you gently push it down.  Then you whistle and he comes out.

So maybe the Pure Fan Service is a combination of the resolution to Sadie's story (what happened to her dad), your ability to strike back at Kinzler's croney, and the silent Rookie knowing more about the situation then the Oni operative.

Or maybe it's just that you whistle.  The Rookie does a Snakeyes routine through the whole game.

Slightly off-topic but I dislike it when they make the main character too blank a slate.  I understand that Master Chief is interesting because we don't see his face, but his voice has definite character.  The Rookie as proxy is in my opinion a waste of a good chance to characterize. 

I think this was most horribly applied in MechAssault 2, where the whiney lady only refers to you as "Mechwarrior," and you wordlessly hulk and glower in all the cutscenes while they react to emergencies and tell you what to do.  Instead of looking like an intimidating tabula rasa the character looks like a voiceless idiot lead around by minor characters.
::0:-:-:0:-:0:0:0:-:000000:-:0000000:-:0000:00:0:0:0:00:00:000:0::

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 20:15:58 »
If you have all the COMMs she raises her pistol and you gently push it down.  Then you whistle and he comes out.

I though that happened if we hadn't killed a single Engineer in CM:MS (think 'Good Samaritan')....
And I achieved Good Samaritan before having all the logs.

Are you sure about that?
I am tree.

Dunder Moose

• SGP Moderator
  • Gherjsz<GP
    • View Profile
    • Rockblog
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 20:34:55 »
I got Good Samaritan on my first run-through, but not all of the COMMs. Rookie tried to shoot.

I think the reasoning is that without all of the COMM data the Rookie doesn't know that Vergil has merged with the Engineer.  When he reaches the same stage having heard all the COMMs he understands what the Engineer is trying to do.
::0:-:-:0:-:0:0:0:-:000000:-:0000000:-:0000:00:0:0:0:00:00:000:0::