Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: The Librarians

Nomolos=Solomon, The Ark, & Allusion in the Halo Universe

(1/3) > >>

The Arkaeologist:
I wrote this post a long time ago and apparently never posted it.  Duh!

Speaking of businesses referenced in ODST, Nomolos (as in Nomolos Refining) spelled backwards is Solomon.  Now this could be a Bungie employee's shout-out to himself.  OR, it could be a clever allusion to Solomon, Biblical King of Israel, who makes an appearance in the Paradiso section of the Divine Comedy and who also built the first Temple to house the ARK of the COVENANT.  We've all seen Raiders of the Lost Ark so we all know the Ark of the Covenant is one of archaeology's big kahuna missing artifacts.  We also all know that in ODST, the Covenant is invading Earth to gain access to the Artifact, or the Portal, which is hidden beneath New Mombasa/Voi and leads to Installation 00 or (wait for it now) the Ark.  Hmmmm.... (Forgive me if the preceding seems completely obvious, but I always thought the Ark was a reference to Noah's Ark since the Librarian was trying to index all sentient beings/save them from the Flood by sending them to the Ark.  Now I'm thinking the Ark allusion works both ways.  Toss in a bunch of Norse mythology (Jotun, Mjolnir, Sif) and Greek historical and mythological references (Spartan, Tartarus, etc.) and you have one hell of a mixed metaphor.  It better freaking hang together in some big way, Bungie, that's all I have to say.)

Further, the colors of the Nomolos logo are the same colors used in the present-day Israeli flag, which would be consistent with the use of the color red in the Sinoviet sign, Sinoviet likely being a Chinese (Sino)-Vietnamese conglomerate of some sort.  (Red is featured prominently in the Chinese and Vietnamese flags.)  The company logos are also reminiscent of the flags in their use of shapes:  Nomolos features six stars (the Israeli flag features a single hexagram, or six-pointed geometric star figure) while Sinoviet utilizes the pentagon (both the Chinese and Vietnamese flag use five-sided stars, or pentagrams, in instances of five or one, respectively).

Overanalysis indeed, but I think it's safe to say that these two ODST businesses seem to represent political/nationalistic interests.

[Night Edit] The in-house links are way broken. Sorry guys.

EnigmaBiz:
......You make me feel stupid. I totally agree, it actually makes sense that they would incorporate these thing or links to other events. It reminds me of Star wars and how they use Republicans as the enemy along with several bible references. It seem like you have to weave in a little history to attain cult followers or to make a lot of money.

Wow, you really never waste a post..

EnigmaBiz:
Also could be Solo Man in reference to Master chief.. (one man wrecking crew)

The Arkaeologist:
Thanks, Enigma.  I have to represent, you know.   ;)

Funny you should mention Star Wars, because I was thinking the same thing while writing the post, especially since John-117 is a messianic sort of figure (the child savior raised on a distant planet).

Dunder Moose:
Sinoviet might also be Russian.  As in Soviet with "in" in it.  Also with the Inferno theme, it adds Sin as the prefix.

Solomon was the son of King David. God asked him what he would ask from God and he said wisdom to rule his people.  Since he did not ask for wealth or power God gave him all three. He was not a warrior and so since his hands did not have blood on them he was fit to build the temple. He is famous for suggesting that a baby be divided in half since two women claimed to be the child's mother, the one that backed down proved to be the mother.  The UNSC ship is divided down the middle upon their escape leaving MC floating above Reach.

Great brainwork Arky!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version