Halo ODST > SGP Task Force: The Librarians

Enders Game and Halo

(1/3) > >>

Scatcycle:
*This post has many spoilers in it. I recommend reading the book first if you havent. Its a fast read*

Enders Game is a science fiction book written by Orson Scott Card which involves a character named Ender who is tricked into exterminating an alien race. The book was written in 1985, long before Halo. There are many references to the book in Halo.

First, one of the most obvious is The Ender-Master chief reference. Master Chief is a super soldier, and basically wipes out covenant armies with little help. Ender wipes out a whole alien race in the book.

Another is that in the second book, when Ender is grown up, he has an AI named Jane which he communicates with through a Jade crystal on his ear. Jane is extremely similar to Cortana, the Master Chiefs AI.

In Enders Game their ships can travel at the speed of light. This means, if they fly to a planet at the speed of light for 15 minutes, its been 2 years for everyone else. Slip space could be a reference to this.

Yet another clear reference, is that in Enders Game the aliens are called "Buggers", and in halo, the drones are also called "buggers"              

You may say Halo used the idea of the IF (International Fleet) taking kids while they are young and using them as supersoldiers. In Enders game, they take young children and train them to be soldiers. These soldiers are extremely good at fighting and know everything technical. In Halo, they kidnap kids and Make them into Spartans. See the resemblance?          

Updating now, just giving you the option to read what i have so far

nightcrafter27:
The ships travel NEAR light-speed. But other than that, nice write up

Scatcycle:

--- Quote from: nightcrafter27 on May 22, 2010, 20:05:03 ---The ships travel NEAR light-speed. But other than that, nice write up

--- End quote ---
Ahh, i see i missed something. Thanks Night.

*SPOILER* (must have read the series up to the fourth book (didnt finish the fourth, but finished the third))

In the end they end up making FASTER then light ships. That can be considered splipspace. Because they actually jump from one place to another. *I think...*

nightcrafter27:
More like, the leave the known universe, then re-enter at another point

Scatcycle:

--- Quote from: nightcrafter27 on July 21, 2010, 14:00:53 ---More like, the leave the known universe, then re-enter at another point

--- End quote ---
And to get outside... they go faster then light?

Faster then light equals teleportation for them? I never really understood it... it was really strange.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version