Author Topic: SGP: Secret detonator on CM:AS (Solved)  (Read 50820 times)

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Secret detonator on CM:AS
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2014, 18:12:58 »
Actually, Endure was the first thing that came to mind for me! And imppa, we have activated it and looked around before (campaign only), but the fact that the charge gets activated for each individual person makes me think that something wouldn't spawn.

If something were to change, however, I imagine it would be the other charges littered around the site. I don't think we've ever tried activating it and then dying next to the other fharges.
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2014, 18:38:12 »
Has Bungie ever made a secret that was activated upon player death? It seems to me like there might be a way to get past the death barrier to actually arm the charge by pressing (RB). The fact that the elevator you ride to the roof in CM: AS starts out below the main floor seems promising. But, that is in campaign, where the detonator is armed.

Something to note, all of my tests in campaign were done in split screen with a guest signed in, and firefight was done solo. It might be good to check what the state of the detonator is depending on solo or coop in campaign and firefight.
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2014, 04:43:34 »
Well the Mystery Gate switch of delta halo in halo 2 required death to switch. Dying didn't cause it to switch, it was a hold x kind of thing, but fallin to your death was a necessity to use it. Now that I think about it, this detonator really reminds me of that switch.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2014, 17:07:11 »
Well the Mystery Gate switch of delta halo in halo 2 required death to switch. Dying didn't cause it to switch, it was a hold x kind of thing, but fallin to your death was a necessity to use it. Now that I think about it, this detonator really reminds me of that switch.

Yeah, I've been feeling the connection for some time now...This wouldn't be the first time Bungie left something in the game that has no function at all.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2014, 17:10:35 »
Yeah, could very well be a throwback. I wonder if this level designer also designed delta halo.
I feel it

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2014, 17:24:28 »
We could ask. I mean no harm there right?
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Secret detonator on CM:AS (Solved)
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2019, 01:19:01 »
Relayed this over to Generalkidd some time ago and he revealed the unexciting (though expected) truth about the switch: just assets from the bridge. They're actually the same switches, and their state of charge is dependent on whether you armed on the bridge or not. They simply teleport to the chute once the bridge is destroyed, so as to not sit there floating. As for why they seem to arm once you're within proximity of them, no one knows. Probably just a byproduct of loading and data saving techniques.

https://youtu.be/TttJCqaK5BU

Many thanks to General Heed for solving the mystery!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 03:46:53 by Scatcycle »
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Secret detonator on CM:AS (Solved)
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2021, 14:55:02 »
Wow, it's crazy to finally have some closure on this after so long. Nice work!
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!