Author Topic: Data Pad found. Are there more? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS - BEWARE !]  (Read 2437 times)

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
[NOTE:  IF YOU WANT TO FIND EVERY LAST THING IN THE GAME ON YOUR OWN, STOP READING THIS THREAD NOW !!!]

First of all I'd like to thank all of you who played online with me today. It was the first time I ever played Halo (or any other game) with other people I actually knew (aside from a friend who played Halo 3's campaign on Legendary with me so he could have the achievement [which I already had obtained solo]). Maybe that's why I Team Killed a lot. lol
It was incredibly fun. :)

Now, on to what really matters.
On the campaign level Winter Contingency, the first playable one, I found a Data Log in one of the buildings that surround the small-red-beacon-thing-that-we-find-in-the-beginning-of-the-level.
I think it was the building on the right, ie, when you find the beacon, turn right. Just search all of the buildings. :/

Pressing a button (B with Bumper Jumper) allowed the player to read the 5 pages of text.

It was the only one I found, but I think it'd be a bit strange to be the only one in the game.
So... maybe we should start searching?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 22:29:38 by Pulse Cloud »
I am tree.

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
Re: Data Pad found. Are there more?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 01:16:10 »
Niiiice find Pulse!  I'll have to start the search for more.

Also, for anyone who didn't get the Limited or Legendary Edition...  I highly recommend spending the extra 20 bucks and returning your old copy.  The sheer volume of content in Halsey's Journal is ridiculous.  Plus there's TONS of ancillary data to be gleaned from the sheaf of unbound pages that come with it.

There's so many numbers there that there must be codes...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: Data Pad found. Are there more? [POSSIBLE SPOILERS - BEWARE !]
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:35:21 »
@Pulse:  It was AWESOME to play with you!  I hope you continue to hit us up with requests when you're online.  And get a mic!  We love you, man!

Now about those datapads...

Despite my hatred of the whole strategy guide marketing ploy and people "cheating" their way through a $60 game, I've learned that with Bungie, the guide is a really nice thing to have.  I have the hard-bound "Legendary Edition" which is a beauty.

Independently, I was searching around for "skulls", and decided that I should check to see if their locations were in the guide... NOT so that I could simply go grab them, but so that I would know what information is "public knowledge" and what is left as a "mystery" for we gamers to figure out.  No use posting "we found it!" and/or making a guide if the printed one already had the info.

So here's the scoop on datapads:

There are 19 of them.  They seem to be the Halo: Reach equivalent of the Halo 3 terminals.  The guide explains:

Quote from: Halo Reach Legendary Edition Guide, page 395
Locating them all is an exercise for the few- their exact coordinates have never been tracked.  Success earns no Achievements or Credits, nor does it confer any special items in the Armory.  You take on this challenge for the thrill of the hunt- and for the knowledge that each data pad brings.

The guide does NOT provide the exact locations of the pads.  It gives hints to their locations, and specifies that on each of the nine playable levels, there are two datapads:  one to be found on easy/normal/heroic difficulty and one to be found on legendary.  This accounts for 18 datapads.

It provides some info on the nineteenth one, but I do not want to reveal it publicly because it may be too much of a spoiler, even though you opted to read this far despite my warning!

So this is enough information to create a checklist of what we have found.  And perhaps we should just "skip to the chase" and start the list in guide form.

@Pulse:  what difficulty were you on when you found the pad on Winter Contingency?
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 01:39:15 »
Can we just assume that everyone who is in the Reach forum from here on out has at least played it once?  Or can we set specific spoiler tags?

Is the 19th one in a place that proves Spartans never die?

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
Re: Data Pad found. Are there more?
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 01:43:01 »
Also, for anyone who didn't get the Limited or Legendary Edition...  I highly recommend spending the extra 20 bucks and returning your old copy.  The sheer volume of content in Halsey's Journal is ridiculous.  Plus there's TONS of ancillary data to be gleaned from the sheaf of unbound pages that come with it.

There's so many numbers there that there must be codes...

Strongly agreed, although I'd narrow the recommendation (obviously) to people with an interest in the Halo story.  So many people just want to frag it up in multiplayer, after all... and Halsey's Journey wouldn't mean squat to them.

I did manage to budget such that I could get the Legendary Edition, and Halsey's Journal is stunning.  The attention to detail is truly outstanding, and I doubt any previous video game merchandise can equal its combination of quality and fan-service appeal.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:45:20 »
Can we just assume that everyone who is in the Reach forum from here on out has at least played it once?  Or can we set specific spoiler tags?

Is the 19th one in a place that proves Spartans never die?

We cannot, as I am only on Mission seven.  But I will PM the info to you.

Oh... and *cough* Siege of Madrigal *cough*  Boy do we have our work cut out for us this time!

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 02:23:04 »
I think I found the Data Pad on Easy.
I'm ABSOLUTELY SURE it was not on Legendary because I haven't tried the Campaign on Legendary yet, though.
I am tree.

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 17:48:29 »
Great find, Pulse!  So exciting that there is something akin to the Terminals.

First of all I'd like to thank all of you who played online with me today.
It was incredibly fun. :)
And ditto here! :laugh:

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 19:46:04 »
Quote from: Halo Reach Legendary Edition Guide, page 395
Locating them all is an exercise for the few- their exact coordinates have never been tracked.
>> CG EDIT [Game Leak Party Poopers] << already did.(Oh right SPOILERS! AGAIN!) All of them. D:
That doesn't mean we can't find them ourselves again, though. It'll be excersise anyway (For what? You neve know...)
I myself MIGHT be too lazy and just read the descriptions if them (the text, that is.):P
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 20:21:46 by ColdGlider »
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 20:41:26 »
All:

I had hoped to find the data pads (and Siege of Madrigal, and all of the other Reach secrets) as a community... ideally with my fellow SGP members but potentially with the gaming community at large.

This abilty has been compromised by a site which began posting "how to" guides on finding everything before the release date of the game.  Sure, it's possible that the site admin fudged the article posting dates... but for now I'm going with what he (the site admin) is telling us.  He's telling us that he had the game before the general public did and that he wants advertising revenue that we- the poor suckers who actually waited until the game was released- generate by visiting him.

For this reason, I edited the previous posts to remove links to David Leggett's site.  It's one thing to work as a community to uncover the secrets of a game.  It's another to sell those secrets to others when they didn't have a fair, legitimate chance to find them on their own.

I'm certainly not asking you to refrain from visiting his site.  It's not my place.  But as the site admin of this place, I'd like to ask you not to link to him. 

I'll address more in a separate post.  For now, if you would like to complain directly to the person responsible for leaking data pad locations, siege of madrigal, etc. before the Sept 14th release date you can use the following contact information available publicly:

Leggett, David
GreyCobra.David@Gmail.com
705 Overlook Pte
Woodstock, Georgia 30189
United States
(678) 362-8880

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 21:12:45 »
I didn't visit his site, but I'm glad you posted this CG.

Earlier today I was in class and flitting to SGP (great focus I know), and when I saw that someone had found all 19 already I was so peeved.  That dude is kind of ruining Bungie's attempt to support their "investigative" fans, and I do not approve.

SAD FACE. (emoticon won't cut it here)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 21:51:48 »
Well, that is very true, CG

It's just...We can find them again (and we will), but it just wont be the same. I mean, if we ever go out there on Bnet that "Hey lookie we found them all!" someone IS gonna say "You were not the first. Get lost."

But maybe it'll still be worth it, maybe it will matter anyways. If nothing else, it'll matter for us.

Let's find those datapads! ;D

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 22:33:18 »
Hmm.. I went to the place I said in the OP but it wasn't there. When I was writing I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly.. Now I know I wasn't.
I'll try finding it again.

OK, found it. Right after getting the first civilian vehicle (which even has a waypoint) there's a big white water puddle on the left which indicates the path you usually take. There's another path to the right. Follow it and when you there are two paths again, a left one and a right one, take the left one. Basically, just take the right path when you get the car and never turn right again.

After a few seconds, some Spartan will say there are enemies in some buildings in front of you. The pad is in the right one.

It's very easy to get there: it sounds way more complicated on words. :/
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 23:04:34 by Pulse Cloud »
I am tree.

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 15:00:10 »
Lol, I spent 15 minutes looking for that pad near the beacon :P
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 16:34:33 »
Hmm.. I went to the place I said in the OP but it wasn't there. When I was writing I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly.. Now I know I wasn't.
I'll try finding it again.

OK, found it. Right after getting the first civilian vehicle (which even has a waypoint) there's a big white water puddle on the left which indicates the path you usually take. There's another path to the right. Follow it and when you there are two paths again, a left one and a right one, take the left one. Basically, just take the right path when you get the car and never turn right again.

After a few seconds, some Spartan will say there are enemies in some buildings in front of you. The pad is in the right one.

It's very easy to get there: it sounds way more complicated on words. :/
That sounds pretty complicated...if the other pads are as hard to find (or harder), they WILL make quite a hunt.