Author Topic: Halo Reach: Halsey's Journal  (Read 34804 times)

Apollo Doom

• SGP Moderator
  • Lookin' out for pink balloons and cartoon faces
    • View Profile
Halo Reach: Halsey's Journal
« on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:44 »
To work off of Dunder Moose's thread for the Manual, I decided to create this thread to discuss all the eggs and connections in the cornucopia that is Halsey's Journal.

I've just skimmed pieces so far but here's a few samples:

-Map of a large section of Reach (Halsey looking for a place to base the SPARTAN-II project?)
-Intake forms from several of the SPARTAN-II candidates (two names I did not recognize, the other was Kurt.  Kurt was the SPARTAN-II who trained the IIIs with Mendoza)
-A DNA analysis of SPARTAN-II 117 (our favorite Master Chief Petty Officer, John)

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
Re: Halo Reach: Halsey's Journal
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 13:22:21 »
Caleb was one of the other candidates
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
  • Those lions look awfully familiar....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 19:05:11 »
I was intrigued by the news clipping re: Miranda Keyes's receipt of the silver star (located in journal side pocket).  Is Miranda Halsey's daughter?  (haven't read further than a few pages so sorry if this is confirmed within....)

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 19:17:30 »
-An photo of Noble Team taken by the security camera; note the familiar ubiquitous numbers and SYNC>>NOMIN in the lower right corner. Either Bungie is lazy, or...something.

-While looking at the attachements that came with the diary, I noticed similiar ubiquitous code: X16-[Insert 5 numbers]-1. Huh, funny, I thought. Then I noticed that the same kind of code was in EVERY attachements (exluding The S-II Insignia). Wow.
But then, while I was checking the back of the manual, I noticed (you guessed it) the same code.
I came to realise that the same kind of code is in EVERY item that I had bought with the game, even on the disc. (Check yourself. In the outer rim with the other text.)
And now that I got it said in a cool way, let me correct myself: the code is in every item exluding The Diary and the Insignia. This could be because the Diary was just bought from a random shop, and the Insignia just shouldn't have it anyways.  Other explanation that would explain the both alone would be that they are not in direct correction to UNSC.
The codes do not seem to indicate time, or anything other meaningful (the dates of the attachements may have years between them, yet have codes with values 'next to each other'. (How should I say that?)
Needs more investigation, I say.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 17:32:23 »
The missing pages interest me maybe every books different and the rip is in a different area.
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 14:35:25 »
@CIA:  Mine's ripped at 9.4.2547.

CIA391

• Caps are cool I'm wearing one now.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 16:42:48 »
@CIA:  Mine's ripped at 9.4.2547.
Same...
Maybe the Rips different

Here's my pages. I will remove if this isn't allowed
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 17:15:21 by CIA391 »
A frog once said if you read this you'll die but how would he know you'll die. He's a frog and frogs can't talk. Who would listen to this frog. So to read this he just wasted your life for a few minutes meaning you are closer to dying anyway so the frog was telling the truth but frogs can't talk?

Pulse Cloud

• SGP Moderator
  • The pickle-shooting Cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 18:20:15 »
I only have one ripped page... Maybe I'm blind?
I am tree.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 18:50:41 »
Same rip.
She's doing something with Slipspace, btw. (seemingly)

The Arkaeologist

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 20:27:11 »
I only have one ripped page... Maybe I'm blind?
I thought the same thing until CIA posted earlier today.  There are actually two torn pages if you look really closely.  They're ripped exactly the same way so they stick together.

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 05:36:29 »
Re: the ripped pages- Halsey talks about doing something about a thought from her subconscious, one since her youth.  She metions her father reading her "Oz".
I've concluded this refers to the "man behind the curtain".  Taken in context, you realize that Halsey thinks her experiment has something to do with fate or destiny (in John-117's case she says 'luck').  If you read the data pads, the dates correspond precisely (and Halsey's civilian ID): the ripped pages were Halsey following through on her experiment to create a structure in slipspace for immortal AI.  I'm certain about all of this, but I'm not so certain about what this has to do with fate.  My best guess is that Halsey is maybe wondering if someone out there is controlling the destiny of the universe, or manipulating it.  I.e.: the Forerunner/Precursor who have used this slipspace technology to 'ascend'.  Which is why they're not around....???

Also, the legendary edition comes with a note that describes the statue.  This is the only thing special it has besides the massive box itself, and the statue which features yet another shotcode.  I figure it might be important.

It's from 'a friend' to 'cousin' (is cousin an Insurrectionist?).  It has Japanese figures, which I have determined to be dates.  The first just is January (first moon).  The second lower down is specifically January 14th.  The date on the top is January 15th.  'a friend' says he got the limited edition package (ONI canister) from the 'old man's things' before he died 'last [January 14th]'.  So the 'old man' who owned Halsey's journal died January 14th 2609, and the legendary box was sent 2610.  "a friend" says he served with the old man back in the [25]80's when "your cousin"('cousin's' cousin) and I were still with Beta 5 (where Noble 6 was before joining NOBLE team in 2552). Could this be some internal Bungie reference ( 2500 = 1900, 2600 = 2000, Bungie coworkers/classmates/deadlines/Frank O'Connor????) - wild speculation.

It appears to be written on the back of used stationary bearing the letterhead "Colonial Administration Authority".  Printed on this side is a bunch of gibberish.  I've searched a lot of ASCII and unicode symbol groups, and I think this code is just Mac Roman.  Which means someone was probably just holding down shift and option on their mac and typing gibberish.  However, the last line ends"...X16-84165-01".  So, there's that.  I've tried to decode it, but have gotten nowhere.  I'm still trying a few things.  Feel free to join in if you have the paper.  I can scan it actually, if you'd like.

I just want to repeat some of the wording of this mostly useless letter about sending the statue to the "museum of humanity" from the Halo 3 marketing campaign.
"Some may find the artifacts life-altering; all would find them historically significant"  So, this is referring to the contents of the limited edition.  Could it be that the truth-seekers will find more in it than the average reader?

Also: "you can hand over the container to Ms. Bjarne at the museum ... or get it ot someone at IN.  There's plenty of stuff in there that the old guard may still be willing to kill over."

I just wanted to provide context to this journal discussion.

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 05:38:23 »
One more tidbit, apologies if people find this overwhelming.

I have a theory that I've linked to in a couple other threads.  I figure this is actually the most relevant place to link.

In the theory, I explain why I think the journal implies that the data pad AIs are behind the events at Visegrad.

http://reachtheory.blogspot.com/2010/09/ai-theory.html

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 06:09:02 »
Okay, I've scanned the gibberish paper from the legendary edition for the bold and the brilliant to decode:

[EDIT - NOTE: the font distorts some of the symbols, for example under the 'D' in 'Administration' there is a "-fishTM-".  That 'fish' is actually Omega, a circle open at the bottom with two feet, but the font is really 'pointy'.  All of these symbols are in the "Mac Roman" ASCII set, except for the fractions "1/2" "3/4".]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 06:11:06 by turokman2000 »

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:14:10 »
Sorry for the flood here, but I have one last thought about Halsey's journal for the night.

The ripped pages scanned into this thread actually have a little bit more text than those in my journal.  It almost looks like the last words are "overthrow the ... government".

The AIs knew about Halsey's experiment, could she have learned of them?  In any event, I've concluded that the content of those pages - even though we know the nature of the experiment they describe - are HUGELY important.  So, maybe they're hidden in the game?  The journal itself we know to be left behind after "The Package", that's how we're told it was discovered.  In fact, it's in-game in the tribute room. 

Let's look for the pages!!!!

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 18:00:32 »
Okay, I've scanned the gibberish paper from the legendary edition for the bold and the brilliant to decode:

[EDIT - NOTE: the font distorts some of the symbols, for example under the 'D' in 'Administration' there is a "-fishTM-".  That 'fish' is actually Omega, a circle open at the bottom with two feet, but the font is really 'pointy'.  All of these symbols are in the "Mac Roman" ASCII set, except for the fractions "1/2" "3/4".]
I assume the other side of the paper is blank?