Author Topic: Halo Reach: Halsey's Journal  (Read 34795 times)

turokman2000

• View Profile
Re: Halo Reach: Halsey's Journal
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 20:23:51 »
The other side of the paper is a handwritten note that talks about the legendary statue and the ONI container that come with the legendary edition.

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 23:52:31 »
I've transcribed the characters from the sheet.  They are the font OCR Extended.  There are a couple font inconsistencies (4 or 5 characters that are different in size between my Microsoft Word and the sheet itself).  There are also about 3 symbols that I couldn't find in Word, but all the rest were on the symbol table.

Here's a paste from word:

!4qV████,9óï#2à ëE9>YP∕hQWø÷Mxf:g] + ,í–â-.yLX:C2z.ìÌ/` rnGjX!kET;wu9$^Ÿ5RWø÷J
ªˉ██xy9³´µ8RA6¶Í~¡ÉÀ4███WH4u3%/-∑∆  €/> ² <%‡Ë@N[ÿù îÇí:∏  ..ÐÎ"..  .Ä
,Á2-.-  ¿°¹ ∙Ò-  +  -ŸvtU&
.-Y@]6²≤∙M°{.û1
 £
.H███
_-
$
/
#
0≥œ†Š]@8$^...KG█ -.≠Œłi-- ¤¥§.. -Ω™-  9Ž- ŽŁ -.-=î(ı.  .Ô ██01█O.  ->?þ½  .
.Ñ «ú-xv9█25..  .-;3žP * KQCSƒ.. ███•…█ -ÓŸÏì<.¦ÝÞ . f|}¨%Gr&¬® .-°±å ∞√ÈWø÷

Õ

█.
©ª██ýü&██ rwA$9q/UQKY/Uh&$^Ÿn nfKju_sÔ PW
?$3JAd)y5?MN}jH Ö×Ø-.████ö∏Êõ-.ûÆÅ
Ú¹ÜßÔ à³á\_ä 0--¼æçè≈ê» ..∫@[ô?. $
òñð,.Â')šWø
÷¾ã…X16-84165-01

I've also attached a text file.  Now we can run the characters through a Java program and mix around with the unicode values to see if there's a valid decryption.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 02:56:35 »
I've transcribed the characters from the sheet.  They are the font OCR Extended.  There are a couple font inconsistencies (4 or 5 characters that are different in size between my Microsoft Word and the sheet itself).  There are also about 3 symbols that I couldn't find in Word, but all the rest were on the symbol table.

Here's a paste from word:

!4qV████,9óï#2à ëE9>YP∕hQWø÷Mxf:g] + ,í–â-.yLX:C2z.ìÌ/` rnGjX!kET;wu9$^Ÿ5RWø÷J
ªˉ██xy9³´µ8RA6¶Í~¡ÉÀ4███WH4u3%/-∑∆  €/> ² <%‡Ë@N[ÿù îÇí:∏  ..ÐÎ"..  .Ä
,Á2-.-  ¿°¹ ∙Ò-  +  -ŸvtU&
.-Y@]6²≤∙M°{.û1
 £
.H███
_-
$
/
#
0≥œ†Š]@8$^...KG█ -.≠Œłi-- ¤¥§.. -Ω™-  9Ž- ŽŁ -.-=î(ı.  .Ô ██01█O.  ->?þ½  .
.Ñ «ú-xv9█25..  .-;3žP * KQCSƒ.. ███•…█ -ÓŸÏì<.¦ÝÞ . f|}¨%Gr&¬® .-°±å ∞√ÈWø÷

Õ

█.
©ª██ýü&██ rwA$9q/UQKY/Uh&$^Ÿn nfKju_sÔ PW
?$3JAd)y5?MN}jH Ö×Ø-.████ö∏Êõ-.ûÆÅ
Ú¹ÜßÔ à³á\_ä 0--¼æçè≈ê» ..∫@[ô?. $
òñð,.Â')šWø
÷¾ã…X16-84165-01

I've also attached a text file.  Now we can run the characters through a Java program and mix around with the unicode values to see if there's a valid decryption.
Nice work Turok! Now we need to figure out if the ████ are meant to be like that or they are supposed to be hidden.
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 15:51:59 »
Very good, you've got the case under control, I see. ;)
On a side note, about the last part of the code: X16-84165-01.   
It can be seen practically in every friggin' piece of paper and item that comes with the Reach [Any] Edition: The disk, the manual, the case, and almost everything in Halsey's diary (The diary itself and The Spartan Insignia don't bear the code)(Should be noted that the code is not the same, the five digits in the middle vary). At first, I though that it was some kind of Reach code. But when I visited my friend who had just bought himself a new Xbox, I stumbled into the boxes and stuff that came with it. And there, I saw it again: the same kind of code. Here, though, the Code was different, beginning with X14 or X12 or such, but the body was the same. And when I visited a local game store on my way back, I noticed that the same code was found in other games too: ODST, Halo Wars, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2...
All by Microsoft Game studios.

Conclusion: The X-Code is some kind of an arragement system for MS Game Studios. It seems that all items of their games must bear that code. Given the fact that these codes were placed to some of the items quite stealthly (or in a manner to make them look like part of the item itself, not just blatantly label it), this side of the page could be simply to present the code in a 'gentle' way.

Not that it should be translated.
Den glider in, Den glider in, Den glider in i mål igen...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 23:01:10 »
Just wanted to quickly drop in and thank Turok for joining and contributing to this thread!  Apollo gave me the heads up to check in on this.  Exciting stuff!

So welcome to the SGP, Turok!  Please don't worry too much about flooding... it seems you have a lot of valuable insight to share on this topic.

Did you notice the page that is the backs of all the pages are entirely composed of Y-Glyphs?  The interesting thing about them is that they are configured into a hexagonal pattern:  showing perhaps that the "Covenant Hieroglyphs" of ODST were meant to be linked to the familiar covenant hex patterns seen on the surfaces of covenant structures (their weapons, Corvettes, etc.)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 03:27:16 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 23:05:10 »
Did you notice the page that is entirely composed of Y-Glyphs?  The interesting thing about them is that they are configured into a hexogonal pattern:  showing perhaps that the "Covenant Hieroglyphs" of ODST were meant to be linked to the familiar covenant hex patterns seen on the surfaces of covenant structures (their weapons, Corvettes, etc.)
Could you please get a picture of that CG? I couldn't snag a copy of the limited edition, and this page seems very fishy...

Are they the same ones from ODST?
I feel it

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 15:58:37 »
Did you notice the page that is entirely composed of Y-Glyphs?  The interesting thing about them is that they are configured into a hexogonal pattern:  showing perhaps that the "Covenant Hieroglyphs" of ODST were meant to be linked to the familiar covenant hex patterns seen on the surfaces of covenant structures (their weapons, Corvettes, etc.)
More like to the familiar pattern of honeycomb. :P

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 17:40:51 »
Just wanted to quickly drop in and thank Turok for joining and contributing to this thread!  Apollo gave me the heads up to check in on this.  Exciting stuff!

So welcome to the SGP, Turok!  Please don't worry too much about flooding... it seems you have a lot of valuable insight to share on this topic.

It seems that these are on the back of every page in the journal. I'll get a pic in a sec...
ODST is all about switches, isn't it?

Hello from 2023! PM me if you want to chat on Discord!

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 21:55:49 »
More like to the familiar pattern of honeycomb. :P
A honeycomb is made of Y's... Y glyphs... IloveBees... Coincidence?
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 18:48:14 »
Here's a pic:

Here you can see multiple pages (and some text I showing through):

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2010, 19:01:32 »
Should be noted that a hexagon-grid is used in modeling Molecules to paper in chemistry...
I'm actually going to ask more about this from my chemistry teacher.

Scatcycle

• SGP Moderator
  • swag
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2010, 19:09:14 »
Here's a pic:

Here you can see multiple pages (and some text I showing through):
So there are two random pages with that? Or is that the background?
I feel it

nightcrafter27

• SGP Moderator
  • she / her, puzzles 👀
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2010, 21:30:38 »
Every single page has a completely blank front, and the hexpattern on the back.

turokman2000

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2010, 09:19:08 »
halsey doodles on some of the hexagons.  We should compile all of her doodlings and off-hand remarks.  Some are innocuous (like about Miranda Keyes, her daughter - confirmed).  Others are weird and in Hindu.

Imppa

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2010, 17:22:47 »
halsey doodles on some of the hexagons.  We should compile all of her doodlings and off-hand remarks.  Some are innocuous (like about Miranda Keyes, her daughter - confirmed).  Others are weird and in Hindu.
Oh yeah! I think there was some in the pages about Cortana's birth.