Author Topic: SGP: Request - The Sounds of Squidhenge  (Read 3359 times)

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
SGP: Request - The Sounds of Squidhenge
« on: October 07, 2009, 05:35:15 »
The big board folks have often mentioned that shooting the stone slabs of Squidhenge produces musical notes.  The Covenant Carbine is the oft-mentioned instrument of choice.

Sure, the idea holds water given IWHBYD, but isn't that just too obvious?  The only way we'll know is if we try it and record the sonic results.

Task Force Marty!  Please refute/confirm these claims of musical squiddery!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 07:37:18 by ColdGlider »
::o:-:-:o:-:o:o:o:oo:oo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo:ooo:oooo:-:oooooo:o:ooooooo::

Hoho5000

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: SGP: Request - The Sounds of Squidhenge
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:57 »
Initial tests (on normal, no skulls, with and without engineers present) have proven negative for any sort musical notes or otherwise. If you really want to hear the difference between shooting at the surrounding cement, and shooting at the stone, I can attach the sounds, but there really isn't that much of a difference. Shooting at the stone produces a slight "rattling" sound near the end, but I attribute that to just shooting at a different material.

Edit: On legendary (no skulls), there is no difference. The dramatic music seems to start and stop at random times while in the area. In fact, it seems to do that a lot no matter where you are. In other words, I don't believe there is a musical correlation between these areas. At least not one I can see.

Edit 2: Sound clips uploaded

Normal/Cement: http://poradun.com/ODST/normal.wav
Stone: http://poradun.com/ODST/stone.wav
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 21:06:47 by Hoho5000 »

JSM26

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 14:24:01 »
I got the same results, no noticeable notes, aside from the rattle mentioned (the engineers were active as well). The engineers would make noises, but not in relation to the shots fired at the pillars.

Hoho5000

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 20:15:04 »
It might also be interesting to note, that despite what the map looks like, this is the only courtyard with actual stones in it. According to the map, the other two should have stone pillars, but don't. It could be that they made District 4 first, then copied and pasted this area of the map from it. Or maybe not...

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 20:18:46 »
Nice work you two.

If you really want to hear the difference between shooting at the surrounding cement, and shooting at the stone, I can attach the sounds

I would like that.  Without concrete "evidence" (supporting data) that the public can "touch and feel", a report can more easily be dismissed by naysayers.  Stubborn pessimism will always abound, but with available data to support our claims the crowd behind those naysayers will diminish.

If you have the accompanying video footage with the sounds, then perhaps we can assemble a short comparison video; otherwise .WAV or .MP3 files will be just fine.  Please communicate with me out-of-thread (OOT) if you need help with details like uploading, editing, etc.

Rogue Sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 21:59:51 »
It might also be interesting to note, that despite what the map looks like, this is the only courtyard with actual stones in it. According to the map, the other two should have stone pillars, but don't. It could be that they made District 4 first, then copied and pasted this area of the map from it. Or maybe not...
ya and the only other possiable squidhenge is in disrict 2(i believe) we need to get in there.
To stick or not to stick that is the question.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:01 »
Hoho:  despite checking in, I somehow managed to miss your edits where you attached the .WAV files.  THANK YOU!!!

Unfortunately, the server isn't responding right now and I can't download them.  :(  I'll try again later.  My apologies for not noticing this earlier.

Hoho5000

• SGP Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 05:08:01 »
No problem. Yeah, my host went offline for a few days. At first, I couldn't access the site (ftp, and cPanel access were fine and said there were no problems) but then everything went down. I guess it's back up now, because it works for me.

ColdGlider

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • GruntsPajamas.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 05:53:59 »
Got 'em!  Thanks, Hoho.  They sound identical, even though they're slightly different.  Same apparent pitch.  I think this theory is debunked.